The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 08, 2008, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
So am I correct in understanding that the correct call, with two outs, would be:

DDB on the illegal pitch

IDB on the runner leaving early

this is the third out of inning

no enforcement on illegal pitch since third out was made?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12yearblue
I've got an ilegal pitch, it happens before the runners would have started. So they would have left the base after the ilegal pitch should have been called.
ASA already said what the ruling is. That pretty much ends the debate as to "what you got" .

But that aside, you do realize IP is a Delayed Dead ball and the ball is still live right?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected, in realizing that an ilegal pitch is a DELAYED DEAD BALL, you are right. The runner is out and no pitch. Thanks............
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
From ASA Umpire web page (Clarifications)

PLAY: R1 on 1B and no count on B2. F1 commits an illegal pitch, by bringing the hands together a second time, which is called by the plate umpire, but continues the pitch. Just before releasing the ball R1 leaves the base before the release of the pitch. In (a) B1 does not swing at the pitch. In (b) B1 swings at the pitch and gets a base hit. In (c) R1 is on 1B and R2 is on 3B at the start of the play.

RULING: The illegal pitch happened when the pitcher brought their hands together, paused, the hands separated to begin the pitch, then the hands came back together prior to the release of the pitch. In (a) and (b) the ball became dead when R1 left 1B before the pitch was released. The fact that the batter did not swing in (a) or got a hit in (b) is irrelevant because the ball became dead when R1 left 1B early. Enforce both the leaving early and illegal pitch infractions, The Ball is dead and R1 is out and a ball is awarded to B2. In (c) The plate umpire should call illegal pitch when it occurs and then “dead ball” when R1 leaves 1B too soon. R1 is out, R2 is awarded home and B2 is awarded a ball in the count.
Rule 8, Section 7-S, Effect, Rule 6, Section 3-B, Effect-A Illegal Pitch

Call them both!
I wondered when someone would find it...

I emailed Wild Bill about my specific play with 2 outs, asking if you'd score the runner from 3B on the IP. His reply was yes, then you have the 3rd out. Basically, enforce the penalties in the order they occured.

It was also brought up about why doesn't the 'no pitch' negate the 'illegal pitch' call. I was pointed to the wording of 8.7.S Effect: The ball is dead, "no pitch" is declared when applicable, and the runner is out.

Apparently it's not applicable here.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I wondered when someone would find it...

I emailed Wild Bill about my specific play with 2 outs, asking if you'd score the runner from 3B on the IP. His reply was yes, then you have the 3rd out. Basically, enforce the penalties in the order they occured.

It was also brought up about why doesn't the 'no pitch' negate the 'illegal pitch' call. I was pointed to the wording of 8.7.S Effect: The ball is dead, "no pitch" is declared when applicable, and the runner is out.

Apparently it's not applicable here.
He probably submitted the dang thing. What a cheater.