The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Their only.....

Ok, all umpires. Guys. Gals. Old. Young. I have a simple request. But before I do I must explain myself. I have been lucky enough to umpire for enough time that it has allowed me to reach goals I had only dreamed about when I started. I have worked 4 ASA Nationals. Been able to work on Sunday for every one. I have done more State tournaments than my wife would ever like to be reminded of. I have worked ball from the smallest community league all the way up to Divisuion 1 NCAA college ball. I am lucky enough to have a daughter that has taken a liking to the same sport that I love. I have not totally given up my softball umpiring but I do enjoy help coaching my daughter team. It has actually helped my umpiring I believe. It has helped me see the game from the other side. As hard as most of the umpires I know that work at their side of the sport the girls work just as hard at it from the players side. Finally my request. Umpires. Umpires. Umpires. Please. Please. Please. Never. Never. Never let a coach hear you make the statement. Their only 8 years old. Their only 10 year olds. I don't care what their age is you as an umpire have a responsibility to umpire to the best of your ability not withstanding what the age of the player is. If you make this statement please understand your only making it because you don't have the courage or guts to make the right call. So if not, do your umpire friends and the players a favor. Simply stay off the diamond. You are screwing up a really great game! Rant done.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I would definitely agree with you. When I first started, I called boys' games for a local church league. I called the game to the best of my abilities, enforcing the rules to the letter (well, as well as I possibly could being a rookie). If the arch wasn't 6-12, I called it. If I saw obstruction, I called it.

And you know what? It HELPED those kids. They rose to the level of expectations, and they became some incredible ballplayers. I'm not saying I made them successful, but not giving them any slack for being under 13 did, if anything, help them along that path.

They're kids. But they're kids who will rise to the challenge.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
Ok, all umpires. Guys. Gals. Old. Young. I have a simple request. But before I do I must explain myself. I have been lucky enough to umpire for enough time that it has allowed me to reach goals I had only dreamed about when I started. I have worked 4 ASA Nationals. Been able to work on Sunday for every one. I have done more State tournaments than my wife would ever like to be reminded of. I have worked ball from the smallest community league all the way up to Divisuion 1 NCAA college ball. I am lucky enough to have a daughter that has taken a liking to the same sport that I love. I have not totally given up my softball umpiring but I do enjoy help coaching my daughter team. It has actually helped my umpiring I believe. It has helped me see the game from the other side. As hard as most of the umpires I know that work at their side of the sport the girls work just as hard at it from the players side. Finally my request. Umpires. Umpires. Umpires. Please. Please. Please. Never. Never. Never let a coach hear you make the statement. Their only 8 years old. Their only 10 year olds. I don't care what their age is you as an umpire have a responsibility to umpire to the best of your ability not withstanding what the age of the player is. If you make this statement please understand your only making it because you don't have the courage or guts to make the right call. So if not, do your umpire friends and the players a favor. Simply stay off the diamond. You are screwing up a really great game! Rant done.

You promise not to post that your 8U DD is an impact player, whine about daddy ball, or ask which $300 bat has more pop for an 8U player, I promise not to laugh at you and tell you they are only 8...

Oh and for the record.. I coached or worked in football and softball long before I umpired.. so I've seen both sides as well...
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
You promise not to post that your 8U DD is an impact player, whine about daddy ball, or ask which $300 bat has more pop for an 8U player, I promise not to laugh at you and tell you they are only 8.....
You promise not to outfit your T-Ball player in striped pants, stirrups, and cleats, then I promise not to laugh at you and tell you they are only 5........

Wade, I too coached before getting into umpiring - then went back to coaching (H.S. softball) before returning to umpiring for good. It was a shock to find out how bad some umpires really are. It was very hard to be at the receiving end of some of that crap.

However, to be realistic, I was coaching JV at a small rural school and all the good umpires were calling varsity games at the big suburban schools. That same concept may be part of the problem that caused Bandit's posting.

WMB
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
You promise not to outfit your T-Ball player in striped pants, stirrups, and cleats, then I promise not to laugh at you and tell you they are only 5........
I don't...

That'd be a hoot!

THEY ARE ONLY 5 and 8 and 10..

Except for a SMALL minority of 10U -A, It is not serious ball... but the parents at this level are BY FAR the worst. I lose more umpires to this level than any other level. I have more problems with parents at this level than any other level.

It is not the umpires that need fixing at this level of ball.. its the idiot parents who think every crappy pitch is their future D1 scholarship.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I've heard that statement come from more than one umpire's mouth.....at least I think I did. It was hard to hear over the angry screaming parents yelling "you can't call obstruction!!! they are only 'insert age here'!! let them play.. Blue"
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
You promise not to post that your 8U DD is an impact player, whine about daddy ball, or ask which $300 bat has more pop for an 8U player...

Did a post from eteamz sneak over here?????
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Did a post from eteamz sneak over here?????
Pfffffft!

That will go on all year.

Usually a little less holier-than-thouish though.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, but since this was left off the list, it is still okay to say, right?! They are only 12 years old.

Yup. Just being a SA.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Their only 8 years old. Their only 10 year olds....
I promise to NEVER say "their only 8, 10 (or even 12 ) years old." However, I might, from time-to-time, say "they're only 8 (etc) years old." SA #2
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I promise to NEVER say "their only 8, 10 (or even 12 ) years old." However, I might, from time-to-time, say "they're only 8 (etc) years old." SA #2
But if you say it, how are we to know the difference?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
It was hard to hear over the angry screaming parents yelling "you can't call obstruction!!! they are only 'insert age here'!! let them play.. Blue"
If they honestly believe that, leave! If they just want the kids to play, there is no reason to waste an umpire on a game for which they don't want the rules enforced.

They're looking for a babysitter and as the umpire, you are not getting paid as much as some babysitters.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
They're looking for a babysitter and as the umpire, you are not getting paid as much as some babysitters.
You know, that is true about teaching as well. Seems I chose the wrong vocation and avocation.

Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
If they honestly believe that, leave! If they just want the kids to play, there is no reason to waste an umpire on a game for which they don't want the rules enforced.

I choose to stay, once you hired me its for better or worse. Of course, maybe thats why i get teased at the association meetings for being the umpire with the most fan ejections. (strangely enough, I've never been told I was wrong for any of those and it's been discussed at length)
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
I choose to stay, once you hired me its for better or worse. Of course, maybe thats why i get teased at the association meetings for being the umpire with the most fan ejections. (strangely enough, I've never been told I was wrong for any of those and it's been discussed at length)
I am curious. How does an umpire have a "fan ejection?"