The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

How does one handle some of the more common senarios concerning umpire interference... For instance, B1 pops the ball straight up.. Catcher turns into the PU, finds a brick wall, and ends up on her tail... Is it like in Basketball where the referee is just a part of the court concerning objects that bounce off the officials...
Please relate to Fed ball.. Thanks

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
What you described is not umpire interference. Umpire interference can happen 2 ways - 1)when hit by a fair, batted ball before it passes an infielder (except the pitcher OR 2)when the umpire interferes with the catcher making a play on a runner. I tell my folks that the first instance better not happen since we do not have a mechanic that places us inside the infielders. The second would only be if the umpire moved into the catcher - NOT when the catcher moves into the ump. For your example and just about anything else, we're just part of the field.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Had a situation like this last week. ASA scrimage i'm workin plate. Partner in position b. Ball passes pitcher then drills my partner in the shin. Infield was playing back. We called interference since it only passed the pitcher and no one else. I've gotta admit though his position b was alot differnt than one i've ever seen.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Maybe Roger will see this & respond. But I thinkthat U-Trip has a mechanic for softball that puts the base ump inside the diamond. That would make his B or C much different - and I'd want some protective gear on to work in those positions.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,
I've never seen a USSSA mechanics manuel. We use our Fed mechanics here. BU should always be outside.

Roger Greene
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Steve:

You are correct in that USSSA has a mechanic where the BU is in the diamond, approximately 5-8 off of second....and I personally hate this mechanic. Especially in SP where those big lugs drive that ball up the middle at about the same rate of speed as a cruise missle.

Scott
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
Had a situation like this last week. ASA scrimage i'm workin plate. Partner in position b. Ball passes pitcher then drills my partner in the shin. Infield was playing back. We called interference since it only passed the pitcher and no one else. I've gotta admit though his position b was alot differnt than one i've ever seen.
Just exactly where was your partner?

Speaking ASA, when working the middle of the field, if the umpire is behind the straight line from F4 to F6, the batted ball is considered to have passed a fielder.

Just curious.

Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
he was in way to far and the infield was playin back a bit.