The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fern2340 Send a message via Yahoo to fern2340
Ok,
I am taking the PIAA test tomorrow night and I know you guys will know the answers to my last minute questions.
I took the practice test they sent me and did well but have some questions...

OK, true or false...
1) Substitutes will not be allowed to enter on the first attempt of a multiple free throw.
I KNOW THIS IS TRUE BUT THEY CAN ENTER PRIOR TO THE FIRST FREE THROW WHEN A PLAYER IS REQUIRED BY RULE TO BE REPLACED... SO BECAUSE OF THIS EXCEPTION DO I ANSWER TRUE OR FALSE?

2) A substitute must report and be in position prior to the warning signal during a 30-second or a full time-out.
THE RULE BOOK SAYS THEY MUST REPORT or BE IN POSITION TO REPORT.... SO IS THIS FALSE?

3)There is player control during a tap or tip.
THE RULE BOOK SAYS THAT "Team control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal."
UNTIL is the word confusing me....so if it is ion flight, than there is no team control and there is player control?

4) The coach shall designate who will shoot the free throws awarded for a technical foul.
I KNOW IT CAN BE THE COACH OR CAPTAIN...SO THIS STATEMENT IS FALSE?

5) On a throw-in, the ball becomes live when it touches an inbound player.
RULES STATE THE BALL BECOMES LIVE AT THE DISPOSAL OF THE THROWER.... sorry, I was confused on this one.... I thought true but it is false??

Here a few that I am not sure about....
1) During the game a coach may not use cards or signs to communicate with players on the court.
2) It is a violation to touch the net while the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. (I KNOW YOU CAN'T TOUCH THE BALL)
3) If a technical foul is administered to start an extra period, a jump ball will follow to establish the alternating procedure.
4) On a jump ball, the clock starts when the ball is touched by a nonjumper.

I know a lot of these are kind of simple questions but all your help is greatly appreciated. I am confident in taking the test that I will pass.... just want some last minute info!!

Thanks for helping a potential colleague!!!!

Linda

Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

#1 - (subs are one of my personal specialties, being table crew) - On multiple FT's, wait until before the last shot. UNLESS there is a required substitution - then bring in everyone who is at the table.

#5 - ball is live when the official puts it at the disposal of the inbounder. (Just remember that otherwise fouls on the throw-in would have to be technicals.)

Others
#3 - This probably depends on the timing of the T and when it is administered. My guess is that if the FT's are part of the extra period, the arrow is set when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free-thrower.

#4 - No - clock starts when it is legally tapped by anyone.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 09:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

#3 - This probably depends on the timing of the T and when it is administered. My guess is that if the FT's are part of the extra period, the arrow is set when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free-thrower.

No, if an extra period (or any period, for that matter) begins with a technical foul being administered, the arrow is set after the free throws when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder. Of course, it is set in the direction of the other team.

As to answering the questions on a test, usually the test question (on true/false) is a direct quote from the book, or is an altered quote. Exceptions usually aren't considered. Therefore, if a direct quote, answer true. If an altered quote, answer false. This, in my opinion, is a fallacy of these tests, since it is not a true test of rules knowledge.

One question I would like to see on the NF test is: "In the last two minutes of a close game, should you swallow your whistle?" Correct answer: "Only when being evaluated."
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mark and Mark!!!

I think I am reading into the questions a little bit too much but your responses have helped! Hopefully, now I pass....

Thanks for all your help/wish me luck!!!!!!!!

Linda

Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
This is why I hate some of the questions.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fern2340
Ok,
I am taking the PIAA test tomorrow night and I know you guys will know the answers to my last minute questions.
I took the practice test they sent me and did well but have some questions...
Good Luck! These questions are from the 99-00 Part I test. This test had six (by my count) "incorrect" answers -- that is, answers that are "suspect" because of typos, exceptions, etc.

Here's my take on your questions:

Quote:
OK, true or false...
1) Substitutes will not be allowed to enter on the first attempt of a multiple free throw.
I KNOW THIS IS TRUE BUT THEY CAN ENTER PRIOR TO THE FIRST FREE THROW WHEN A PLAYER IS REQUIRED BY RULE TO BE REPLACED... SO BECAUSE OF THIS EXCEPTION DO I ANSWER TRUE OR FALSE?
You're analysis is correct, but the question doesn't ask about required replacements, so you are to assume there aren't any. Official (NFHS) answer is TRUE.

Quote:
2) A substitute must report and be in position prior to the warning signal during a 30-second or a full time-out.
THE RULE BOOK SAYS THEY MUST REPORT or BE IN POSITION TO REPORT.... SO IS THIS FALSE?
Again, correct analysis of the typo. Official answer is TRUE (that is, it was a typo, NFHS meant "or" in the question. I'm not sure how one was supposed to know that.)

Quote:
3)There is player control during a tap or tip.
THE RULE BOOK SAYS THAT "Team control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal."
UNTIL is the word confusing me....so if it is ion flight, than there is no team control and there is player control?
The question asks about PLAYER control. Your response refers to TEAM control. Player control only exists when a player is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. Neither of those conditions exists on a tap or tip. So, the answer is FALSE.

Quote:
4) The coach shall designate who will shoot the free throws awarded for a technical foul.
Correct. This statement is FALSE -- for the reason you noted.

Quote:
5) On a throw-in, the ball becomes live when it touches an inbound player.
RULES STATE THE BALL BECOMES LIVE AT THE DISPOSAL OF THE THROWER.... sorry, I was confused on this one.... I thought true but it is false??
You quoted the rule. The answer is FALSE.

Quote:
Here a few that I am not sure about....
1) During the game a coach may not use cards or signs to communicate with players on the court.
FALSE (that is, the coach may use cards or signs). It's not listed in the list of "illegal acts" in 10-5, so it's legal.

Quote:
2) It is a violation to touch the net while the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. (I KNOW YOU CAN'T TOUCH THE BALL)
TRUE. This is directly from the BI definition ("any part of the basket") in 4-6-1.

Quote:
3) If a technical foul is administered to start an extra period, a jump ball will follow to establish the alternating procedure.
FALSE. Posession (control) is established as part of the penalty for the T. Thus, there is no jump ball. See 4-3-3 and 6-3-1

Quote:
4) On a jump ball, the clock starts when the ball is touched by a nonjumper.
FALSE. 5-9-2 just says "legally touched." It doesn't say by whom, so when a jumpre touches the ball, the clock should start.

Quote:
I know a lot of these are kind of simple questions but all your help is greatly appreciated. I am confident in taking the test that I will pass.... just want some last minute info!!

Thanks for helping a potential colleague!!!!

Linda
Glad to help. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct. This statement is FALSE -- for the reason you noted.

Wat is false about this statement? This is a trick question. Just because the captain can also designate the thrower does not make this statement false. The NF test frequently does things like this. You have to remember to ask yourself--What makes a statement false? Just because it doesn't tell the whole truth doesn't make it false, contrary to what my Mother taught me.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Bob,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for in depth answers....

You're help is VERY MUCH appreciated!! I'll let you know how I do!

Thanks again!
Linda
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRUE. This is directly from the BI definition ("any part of the basket") in 4-6-1. "

Not sure about that answer!

Unless i'm reading the rule incorrectly (which may be possible), the answer to the above question is

FALSE.

read the question, "...violation to touch the net while the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring."

Rule 10-11 and rule 4-6 states:

Basket interference occurs when a player:
Art. 1...Touches the ball or basket, (including the net), when the ball is on or within either basket.

Art. 2...Touches the ball when it is touching the cylinder having the ring as its lower base.

Reading the question...the test makers are combining Art. 1 and Art. 2. In the question the ball is not "on or within the basket," when the player touches the net AND in the question, the player DID NOT touch the ball "when it is touching the cylinder."

Anyone else care to help out with this?

Thanks,
jake
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'll give it a whirl. When the rule states "Art. 2...Touches the ball when it is touching the cylinder having the ring as its lower base" it means the ball could be anywhere within the cylinder at any height. So, if you could picture the ball hitting the rim, bouncing directly straight up in the air about 5 feet and a player grabbing the net when the ball is at its apex, you have BI because the ball is still in the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base. The ball is in the (imiginary) cylinder, and the player grabbed the net.

Poor job of explaination, but I never was good with words....
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Ok, I'll give it a whirl. When the rule states "Art. 2...Touches the ball when it is touching the cylinder having the ring as its lower base" it means the ball could be anywhere within the cylinder at any height. So, if you could picture the ball hitting the rim, bouncing directly straight up in the air about 5 feet and a player grabbing the net when the ball is at its apex, you have BI because the ball is still in the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base. The ball is in the (imiginary) cylinder, and the player grabbed the net.

Poor job of explaination, but I never was good with words....
Dan, look at Jake's response again. Touching the net is
only BI when the ball is resting on the rim or going
through the basket.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris

What is false about this statement? This is a trick question. Just because the captain can also designate the thrower does not make this statement false. The NF test frequently does things like this. You have to remember to ask yourself--What makes a statement false? Just because it doesn't tell the whole truth doesn't make it false, contrary to what my Mother taught me.
Bob is correct, Barry. The statement is false. The rulebook states, "The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s)." Since the test question leaves out the captain and contains the word "shall", it is false. If the question had read, "The coach CAN designate...", it would have made the statement true. But you have to read "shall" as "must."

Everytime the question has appeared on a NF exam, the answer has been false.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jun 4th, 2001 at 09:59 AM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
TRUE. This is directly from the BI definition ("any part of the basket") in 4-6-1.

[/b]
Are you sure about that Bob? The way I read 4-6-1, it's only BI to touch the net while the ball is on the rim or in the basket, not when it's just in the cylinder.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for everyone's help! I took the test tonight and it went well. It was a lot like the practice test! Anyway, I know I got the ones you helped me out on right at least!! I get my scores in a week or two so I'll be back...

Linda
Old Tue Jun 05, 2001, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Are you sure about that Bob? The way I read 4-6-1, it's only BI to touch the net while the ball is on the rim or in the basket, not when it's just in the cylinder. [/B]
Of course I'm sure -- I'm sure I'm wrong!

For some reason I wrote down "F" on my scratch pad, then typed "T". I always have been a little lysdexic.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for pointing it out -- and that goes for you, too, 112448.