The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Sad Day In Umpiring

Don't know if any of you knew Billy Jay from the Tulsa area. He has been a FP/SP umpire for what seems like hundreds of years (he would like me saying that!) He has UIC'd and umpired numerous national tournaments across the nation. He served as Tulsa area UIC for many years as well.

Billy passed away last evening at about 8:30 of an apparent massive heart attack. This has stunned the entire Oklahoma umpiring community.

The funeral home does not have a web site for messages but if you wish, you can send messages to the family via this e-mail: [email protected] Please put Billy Jay and Family in the heading of he e-mail.

Billy encouraged and has mentored me through my career. He begged me to attend a National Umpire School and as fate would have it I am to attend one this Saturday in Cabot, AR, same day as his funeral. After much thought, I am attending the school in him memory to become a better umpire. I truly think he would want me to.

Please remember Billy's family and fellow umpires in your thoughts.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I'm with you Don! Billy Jay was a great man! He will be greatly missed. He really helped guide me through parts of my career and it was a pleasure to serve with him on several national tournaments. Tulsa will surely miss this great man. Even though I have games at Bacone on Saturday, I'm going to try and make the funeral before hand.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 04:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Billy encouraged and has mentored me through my career. He begged me to attend a National Umpire School and as fate would have it I am to attend one this Saturday in Cabot, AR, same day as his funeral. After much thought, I am attending the school in him memory to become a better umpire. I truly think he would want me to.
Makes sense to me.