The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Need Help with a Contract:eek:

Need Help with a Contract

A Tournament Director, new to our local ASA Association, has asked us to provide him with a contract for umpiring services. We have never had this request before. Everything has always been verbal.

Do any of you have a contract that your association uses you could send me as a guideline?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig

A Tournament Director, new to our local ASA Association, has asked us to provide him with a contract for umpiring services. We have never had this request before. Everything has always been verbal.

Do any of you have a contract that your association uses you could send me as a guideline?

Thanks for your help!
After you finish telling him he is an idiot.....ask who will be handling his legal representation. If he wants a contract with the umpires, he should initiate a standard contract, not you.

OTOH, draw one up. Make sure you include paid holidays, paid health insurance, paid life insurance, 401K and paid dental insurance.

Oh, and don't forget the $100 game fee, a 50% rain cancellation fee, per diem and a uniform allowance.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
After you finish telling him he is an idiot.....ask who will be handling his legal representation. If he wants a contract with the umpires, he should initiate a standard contract, not you.

OTOH, draw one up. Make sure you include paid holidays, paid health insurance, paid life insurance, 401K and paid dental insurance.

Oh, and don't forget the $100 game fee, a 50% rain cancellation fee, per diem and a uniform allowance.
You guys dont have contracts? What do you guys do, spit in your hands and then shake on it?

It is very common here. The metro just renegotiated ours. I believe they last 2 years. Contracts are used for tourney ball and with the city leagues.

I can't help the OP with the actual content because I am not involved at that level, but the contract negotiations are often discussed at our duic meetings.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig

Thanks for your help!
I have a standard contract that I use, that I don't consider proprietary at all. It is a "Word" document, and you are certainly free to clone it, change it, add or subtract whatever works best for you.

If you want to send me a private message with your email, I will be glad to forward it to you.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Make sure there's a per-game food allowance, and catering for all day tournaments.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously, I read this wrong. I thought he was talking about an individual contract with the umpires which I have heard of before and still think can be problematic especially if the DOL gets involved with something.

Each umpire association should have some type of agreement with any association which uses the services of the assn.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obviously, I read this wrong. I thought he was talking about an individual contract with the umpires which I have heard of before and still think can be problematic especially if the DOL gets involved with something.

Each umpire association should have some type of agreement with any association which uses the services of the assn.
That would be sweet!

I'm holding out for YouTube royalties though...