The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=hawk65] If a defensive coach were to exclaim, "She can't 'look back' at the assistant coach!!" which rule/definition/case can I quote that clearly states that is not covered by the "look-back rule?"

QUOTE]

I doubt a coach would ever say that! If they do, "Sure she can coach" should be enough.

hawk, I hope you are not too seriously befuddled about this one. The "Look-Back Rule" is clear as a bell. In the FED book, 8-7-1 states when the rule is in effect, it IS then defined by articles 2, 3, and 4.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

It's time to get the dead horse animation...
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
It's time to get the dead horse animation...
That's why the horse I led to water won't drink!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

mea culpa!!

Okay, I finally get it!! Silly me!! I actually thought "look-back rule" would involve "looking" or "a look" or somebody taking a "look-back" at somebody or something! Instead it involves: location of feet within the 16-foot circle, stopping, starting, advancing, overruns, turns, direct moves, non-stop returns, etc., etc. -- none of which make any reference whatsoever to a "look" or "look back." This now makes perfect sense!! I'm going to go back to my book and see if "infield fly rule" involves "infield" or "infield fly."

I officiate only NFHS and have no reference to ASA or NCAA rules. Thanks to WMB for the brief historical reference and thanks to all of you for helping me finally understand. It took some prodding but this horse finally drank the water.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

If you want, you could investigate what is foul about a foul tip.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
If you want, you could investigate what is foul about a foul tip.
And, there's also the discrimination against the outfield flies not having the same rules that the infield fly has. An investigation could be launched as to why these insects are being slighted based on their location on a ball field.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It's a good thing hawk65 has a good sense of humor, at least I hope so.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Also reported.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Also reported.

This guy must have a problem with the LBR
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This guy must have a problem with the LBR
He wouldn't be the first!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2017, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

There is a difference in the look-back rule in NFHS and ASA. In ASA, if the pitcher makes a play or fakes a throw on any player, the player is exempt from the penalty of being called out. This is a quote from the NFHS softball rules book in section 8-7:

"EXCEPTION: The runner will not be declared out if a play is made on another runner (a fake throw is considered a play), the pitcher no longer has possession of the ball within the 16-foot circle, or the pitcher releases the ball on a pitch to the batter."

So, if a pitcher makes a fake throw on a player to get her to return to her base, will not be exempt from the penalty of this rule. Also, if multiple runners remain between bases according to NFHS rules, only one may be called out in any given play.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2017, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

The lookback rule in NFHS and USA (formerly ASA) are virtually identical. If the pitcher makes a play in either or fakes a play in either the lookback rule is off. The only real difference is the requirements of the pitcher having the ball in the circle. In NFHS the pitcher only has to have possession. She can have the ball under her arm, between her legs, under her chin etc. If the pitcher physically has the ball in the circle the lookback rule is in force.

In USA, the pitcher must have possession and control, and control is defined as the ball being in the pitchers hand or in her glove. If she puts the ball under her arm, between legs etc she is not considered to have control and the lookback rule is not in effect.