The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Need some help on some questions that have come to mind while trying to get prepared to come into the fast-pitch world.

Have heard many of you suggest the wide stance for the PU and I have a few questions

When trying the wide stance at home I get sort a stuck in the mud feeling and worry about getting moved in time when a foul is hit behind. Just wondering if you think the wider stance is something you should work into or be better off starting right away with. Also concerns on the wide stance putting to much stress around the knees or do you believe this is better than the continuance of bending at the knees. I believe I probably will start out with a lot of younger age group games so trying to get a feel for the best way to get down low enough and still be able to walk the next day

Question #2 when ordering a shirt to do plate how much bigger should I order 1 or 2 sizes up. Without any help I fill out my XL shirt pretty well now so just wondering how much allowance should make for the chest protector

Question #3 I've heard when ordering a plate cap that I should order a size smaller than what I wear on the field so it wont keep coming off when I pull the mask off. Is this true??

I guess that is about it for now. Got my ASA test on Tues night looks like pretty much the same ole stuff amazing how much easier it gets every year

Thanks

Don
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
When trying the wide stance at home I get sort a stuck in the mud feeling and worry about getting moved in time when a foul is hit behind. Just wondering if you think the wider stance is something you should work into or be better off starting right away with.
I went to the wide stance "cold turkey" and I liked it right away. I don't have any trouble moving quickly out of the stance. Maybe you are setting up too wide?

Quote:
Also concerns on the wide stance putting to much stress around the knees or do you believe this is better than the continuance of bending at the knees. I believe I probably will start out with a lot of younger age group games so trying to get a feel for the best way to get down low enough and still be able to walk the next day
The wide stance is much better on the knees, even more so with the younger ages, 'cause you don't bend as much at the knee for a given drop.

Remember this, however... unlike in slow pitch, in a single game you will be doing ~100+ of these deep knee bends (even with the wide stance) ~200+ for a double header. Start exercising NOW or you will go wobbly before the end of the 3rd.

Quote:
Question #2 when ordering a shirt to do plate how much bigger should I order 1 or 2 sizes up. Without any help I fill out my XL shirt pretty well now so just wondering how much allowance should make for the chest protector
It depends a bit on how bulky your protector is, but I only go up one size. (L to XL) And, I fill the L quite nicely

Quote:
Question #3 I've heard when ordering a plate cap that I should order a size smaller than what I wear on the field so it wont keep coming off when I pull the mask off. Is this true??
True - for me, at least. My plate caps are one size smaller than my bases caps. I'd just use the size smaller all the time, but the larger cap is a bit more comfortable. Make sure it is not too small, though. I prefer to buy my caps in person rather than mail order to make sure the fit is right.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

All right Don, here's my two cents:

The stance I use when I am behind the plate is a fairly normal stance. Heel to toe, feet about shoulder with apart. From this point it is easy to glide down into the strike zone with little aggravation to the knees. Remember to tuck those elbows in and keep your hands relaxed though. This allows me to get into the strike zone of even the smallest player. (I am 6'2", so that is saying a great deal.)

Most chest protectors are relatively thin. Normally, I wear a large, but get by with an XL for plate duties without looking crammed into the shirt. If your XL fits with some room, you should be able to get by with an XXL. However, id by saying you fill out that XL pretty well you mean there is no room for....uh....growth, then you might consider going for the 3X. The rule of thumb is normally a size larger though, so I really think that you ought to get by with an XXL.

On the plate cap issue, I am one of those relics that prefer to use a two stitch beanie style to the four stitch ballcap style. Also...as it is adjustable, I can't really say whether or not it is the same size as my fitted field hats, but I can tell you this, it does fit me a little tighter than the field hats. To be on the safe side, why not go with the adjustable style? To me, the bill of the hat is more of an issue in getting my mask off that the fit of the hat anyway, which is why I use the 2 stitch.

As for tests...I still go through test anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Scott

[Edited by Skahtboi on Feb 14th, 2002 at 04:46 PM]
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Please Scott......NOT a beanie.......

The extra wide stance is just something you have to play with........

If Wally was at your National School (I expect he was).....I am sure that he was selling the aspects of it....

It was after the National ASA School last year that I gave it a try.......and LOVED it........the only thing I had was a little soreness in my Quads.....

Steve had mentioned it before and I now know why he likes it so much.....

My plate cap (a 4 stitch) is 1/8 smaller than my field cap....

I also tend to not cinch my mask real tight so removing it is not a problem.......I seem to recall us having some discussion some time back on the prefferences on the tightness of the mask.......I have always worn mine a bit loose......and will tuck the elastic in the back a half-turn to make sure it stays in place.....(I do this every time I put the mask on).....

You will go through some adjustments in your plate game........get an experienced FP ump to watch you work and maybe he can give you some pointers........

As far as shirts.....I wear a 1X field and 2X for the plate....

Joel

Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

The wide stance is much better on the knees, even more so with the younger ages, 'cause you don't bend as much at the knee for a given drop.

Remember this, however... unlike in slow pitch, in a single game you will be doing ~100+ of these deep knee bends (even with the wide stance) ~200+ for a double header. Start exercising NOW or you will go wobbly before the end of the 3rd.

As a primarily SP umpire who does both games, I must take exception to the SP/FP comparison here.

The proper mechanic is virutally identical for both games. Though many FP umpires think the SP guys just stand there, looking at the ground (okay, so some do, but not the good ones), in some cases, a SP umpire actually has to get lower to watch the ball pass through a SP strike zone than some do in FP. And, as Don will attest, the boys playing SP take quite a few pitches. If you are working the plate properly, you are going to be up and down almost, if not more than some umpires working a FP game. Of course, if you are working Men's A or above, you may have to abandon the mechanic as it is important to see the strike zone, but just as important is staying out of the catcher's way since the runners may steal at that level.

When this mechanic first hit ASA, I saw it at the Central Atlantic Regional Clinic (or the remnants thereof) and then again the follwoing February, when the National Staff went to and demonstrated the stance (Tony Walsh, I believe) at the National UIC Clinic in OKC.

You only get caught on a passed ball or foul pop-up if you lean back on your heels. You need to stay on the balls of your feet. What the wider stance does for FP umpires is make the drop a shorter distance because you are already starting lower by setting up with your feet further apart. Not to mention that with the real young players, it can be a long way to the top of the strike zone. The key is to sit down in the stance, not bend over or crouch.

JMHO
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Don, on the plate cap, I agree with Scott. I use a 2 stich plate cap exclusively. I never have a problem with it coming off with my mask. 1 downfall though, it kinda looks dorky. Remember though, whatever plate cap you go with, always pull the bottom of the mask out and THEN up. This keeps you from catching the brim of the cap with your mask.

1 size bigger on the shirt should be fine for you. If you wear Elbeco shirts, that don't stretch, you may want to go up 2 sizes. Here we wear pullover knit shirts that really stretch. They also stay tucked into your shirt much better.
Dave
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Please Scott......NOT a beanie.......

Yes Joel...the dreaded beanie. Been using them for so long I don't think that I could call a game without one. Say...maybe you should give it a try. Don't know what you are missing.

The proper mechanic is virutally identical for both games.

Mike..not an opinion, its a fact. I call both as well, and use a very similar mechanic, though I seem to be a real oddity in my association on this point where SP is concerned.

I use a 2 stich plate cap exclusively.

Dave...I knew you were an all right guy! Now if we can just get these other umps to see the light and become one of the growing fraternity!

Scott
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skahtboi

The proper mechanic is virutally identical for both games.

Mike..not an opinion, its a fact. I call both as well, and use a very similar mechanic, though I seem to be a real oddity in my association on this point where SP is concerned.

I, too, am often seen as the "weird" one who actually calls the SP strike zone. But then again, I also have my three Nat while being from a state that use to average one National every third year. When I teach the new umpires on the mechanics, I tell them strait out that if they are going to umpire, regardless of the reason, there is no harm in doing it the right way. And if you expect to get Regional and National assignments, you better know how to make the calls by the book. Just the way it is around these parts. The fact that I feel it necessary to make that comment sort of reflects on the future of umpiring and that is a shame.

Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

As a primarily SP umpire who does both games, I must take exception to the SP/FP comparison here.
I only do FP, but all the Adult SP umpires around here stand fully upright off to the side. I know the ASA Umpire Manual shows a different mechanic, but I've never seen it actually used in games. I was basing my comment on what the guys here actually do.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Generally, I only do fastpitch, but I will do slowpitch now & then - somebody is shorthanded for a tournament at least once or twice a year. I get some strange reactions from some of the players as I use a "modified" plate stance - I do not get down as low in slowpitch. I do not know whether that's "proper" or not, but I think it's close to what I've seen taught and read for slowpitch. Unfortunately - at least around here - the slowpitch folks are not good umps and really don't seem to care about improving.

Now, about those beanies - do y'all have propellors on top to keep the air moving? I got rid of the last of mine 5 years ago.

Are Elbecco's still legal to wear? I've got several hangig in the closet that I can't give away - even the LL folks don't want them. I sure don't intend to ever wear one again.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

"Beanies", I thought that was those little babies that were so popular.... They don't want us wearing them in
this part of the woods, the beanie hats that is.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M

Are Elbecco's still legal to wear? I've got several hangig in the closet that I can't give away - even the LL folks don't want them. I sure don't intend to ever wear one again.
As even Merle Butler will tell you, a local association can adopt whatever uniform they wish. That being said, I intend on giving mine to the new umpires coming into the organization to help cut their start-up expenses.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

My 2ยข on the ELBECO

When properly laundered and pressed, they looked much sharper than the mesh pullovers. JMO, of course. Starched with a "military" press, they looked very sharp.

Problem was, too many umpires seemed to just pull it from their bag, where it had been wadded up since the last game, even when occasionally washed, it had never seen starch or felt an iron since it left the factory. Those guys looked 1000x worse than the same guys using the same kind of garment care with the pullovers.

I do like the way I can get away with more casual garment care, even though I do lightly press even the pullovers. (No starch, tho).

BTW, since the ASA Officialgear.com still sells them as official ASA, I guess they are still allowed, subject to local rules.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Unhappy

Guys with the 2 stitch---
These hats in ASA have not been legal for years!! Our UIC would string us up if he caught us wearing one. Besides, they looked retarded!!! Give them up, wear a combo.

I wear only combo hats and I only do Fastpitch. I buy all my hats in person as they vary. I call my plate hats-the headache hats, as I wear 1/8 to 1/4 smaller on the plate. You should have no trouble keeping on your hat if you have one of the experienced fastpitch fellows adjust your straps on your mask for you the first time. (I did, tremendous help) Then, you need to practice pulling the mask out and up in 1 continous motion with your LEFT hand.
Use only the wide heel to toe stance, it's easier on your back!! Start walking now and do other low impact exercises for your knees, or after your first game on the plate, you
could be a little wobbly.

Soon, the old Elbecos will no longer be available as new, so
get use to the knit (and oh my god they're hotter) shirts. I personally don't like the new shirts as I enjoyed the starched and military pressed look for tournaments.

Yes, old Lady Blue is a little large. I wear an Xl on the
bases and an XXL for the plate.

Good luck and welcome to the Fastpitch world. Slowpitch will bore you to death once you've become aclimated to the
Fast!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Elaine, now I suppose someone will tell me what type of leg guards I am allowed to wear, or exact measurements for my ball bag. I have seen, even though very rarely, someone wearing an outside chest protector.(not me) I guess I am from the old school but is it ALLOWED to wear a detachable throat protector? I wear one on my mask. Dave