The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Umpires

I have been informed that there will be no delay in the implementation of a policy requiring umpires involved in Championship Play to wear Heather gray and/or blue pants purchased from ASA Properties. This will be effective this year. BTW, please note that ASA pants are all flat-panel, so this effectively eliminates wearing pleated pants which previously had not been addressed.

ASA Properties continues to offer only Spotbilt & Rival shoes in a standard width. There is the possibility that they will also offer black and white shoe this coming season. Reason: Give the umpires more variety. Thing is that the white portion will need to be blackened out prior to working ASA games.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
ASA Properties continues to offer only Spotbilt & Rival shoes in a standard width. There is the possibility that they will also offer black and white shoe this coming season. Reason: Give the umpires more variety. Thing is that the white portion will need to be blackened out prior to working ASA games.
That's one thing that has always baffled me. Why does officialgear.com still sell Spot-bilt shoes with the white lettering on the back? Can't they make some sort of an arrangement with Spot-bilt? My Sharpies are running dry!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
That's one thing that has always baffled me. Why does officialgear.com still sell Spot-bilt shoes with the white lettering on the back? Can't they make some sort of an arrangement with Spot-bilt? My Sharpies are running dry!
Yeah, I think it is ridiculous, then again, I wouldn't buy another pair of shoes on-line if my life depended upon it.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think it is ridiculous, then again, I wouldn't buy another pair of shoes on-line if my life depended upon it.
Well, the shoes have always fit me just fine, so I'm not too terribly worried about it. I just find it bizarre that the shoes they sell to their umpires don't conform to their own standards.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I have been informed that there will be no delay in the implementation of a policy requiring umpires involved in Championship Play to wear Heather gray and/or blue pants purchased from ASA Properties. This will be effective this year. BTW, please note that ASA pants are all flat-panel, so this effectively eliminates wearing pleated pants which previously had not been addressed.

Mike, Are the ASA pants all the "western" pockets with the huge truss-like waist band or are there normal dress slacks?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Mike, Are the ASA pants all the "western" pockets with the huge truss-like waist band or are there normal dress slacks?
They are Fechheimers. The waist band will be printed with Fechheimers, Freedom Fit, Flying Cross or some type of Fechheimers' brand name.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Don't read this wrong about the pants. Fechheimers do a pretty good job and are a quality product.

I do, however, wish there was a Combo option from ASA. Not so much for FP, but the fit is looser and folks with an *** and thighs the size of mine, need a little more room than some others.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I like the combo pants for plate work (I have a Cliff Keen pair with the ASA non-approved pleats and slack-style front pockets) because they do not have the elephant leg effect.

I have a pair of ASA Official Gear plate pants, and I swear, in a stiff wind there is enough fabric blowing around to make a small spinnaker. It'd be nice if ASA offered combo pants in their officially blessed tayloring (no pleats, western pockets - although I hate the western pockets).
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

I will say the western pockets have their draw backs, hard to get my fat hands into them...but as Irish mentioned those of us with larger anatomy can wear pants without the pocket liner showing! That is one of the biggest complaints I have heard with the "standard" pocket, when us umpires have an early spring game and our pants have shrunk over the fall / winter (damn closet lights... ) they tend to get pulled apart at the pockets revealing the inner liner of our pants which on navy pants is noticable from the entire infield!!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
I will say the western pockets have their draw backs, hard to get my fat hands into them...but as Irish mentioned those of us with larger anatomy can wear pants without the pocket liner showing! That is one of the biggest complaints I have heard with the "standard" pocket, when us umpires have an early spring game and our pants have shrunk over the fall / winter (damn closet lights... ) they tend to get pulled apart at the pockets revealing the inner liner of our pants which on navy pants is noticable from the entire infield!!
Obviously, we would have to cancel the game if anything that earth-shattering happened.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Obviously, we would have to cancel the game if anything that earth-shattering happened.
Maybe not. But, for an ASA National, that shouldn't be an acceptable standard. For my personal standards and expectations of myself, that isn't acceptable.

But, if you think it is acceptable to you, then do as you wish. Just not an option any longer at an ASA National.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

I sent an e-mail to ASA Properties. I asked that since umpires have now been mandated to order from ASA if they would carry "combo" pants.

The response was What we have found is that the so called Combo pants are just plate pants with different name. We purchase combo pants from Honigs and measured them last year.

Now, I know someone on here may want to debate this, but remember, I'm just the messenger.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
I sent an e-mail to ASA Properties. I asked that since umpires have now been mandated to order from ASA if they would carry "combo" pants.

The response was What we have found is that the so called Combo pants are just plate pants with different name. We purchase combo pants from Honigs and measured them last year.

Now, I know someone on here may want to debate this, but remember, I'm just the messenger.
Pants that I purchased from Honigs.
Bottom of inseam: Plate Pant = 13", Combo Pant = 12". Both pair are wider in the seat area than the standard base pant.

Thanks for the message.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I purchased a pair of Honig's navy blue combo pants two years ago. They have the western-style pockets, which at first I wasn't too thrilled about. After wearing them, I'll say that the pockets aren't so bad. These are actually quite comfortable pants. The construction and material are top-notch. In fact, compared to some pants I've owned these seem almost bullet-proof! They seem to be more durable, with thicker material, than the heather grey Cliff Keen's I own.

As far as sizing, I haven't measured the leg openings or rise. For fit and feel they definitely do not seem as roomy as any of the plate pants I own. My shin guards and cup fit under them just fine, yet they are sleek enough for use on the bases without looking baggy or sloppy.

In short- I love these pants! It would be interesting to see them side-by-side with the Officials Gear offerings. I wonder if you could even tell them apart?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I saw in last months Referree Mag that Dalco is offering a combo flat pants grey. I just have not seen it on any of the umpiring web sites to buy currently.

Might be worth checking out.