The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

How would you rule?

At one of our local parks, there's some knucklehead who flies his model airplane. A lot. While it's his right to fly the model plane in a public park, he quite often flies a little too close to the field, sometimes as low as 40-50 feet above the outfielders' heads. We can't see whoever it is, and I don't think it's malicious in intent.

However, my question becomes: what if a pop-fly ball to the outfield hits that plane? How would you rule? Would it be different from, say, hitting a bird?

And how many of you have visions of Randy Johnson's pitch hitting the dove in mid-flight?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I would believe that this would be a situation that is not covered by the rule book and an umpire can rule as s/he sees fit. In your play, on a popup, fielder camped under the ball and then the ball hits the plane, I have an out.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
At one of our local parks ...

However, my question becomes: what if a pop-fly ball to the outfield hits that plane? How would you rule? Would it be different from, say, hitting a bird?

For consistency, I'd suggest a local park ground rule be established.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
I would believe that this would be a situation that is not covered by the rule book and an umpire can rule as s/he sees fit. In your play, on a popup, fielder camped under the ball and then the ball hits the plane, I have an out.
Well, let me toss this out there. ASA 8-2-C: "The batter-runner is out when after a fly ball is hit, the ball is caught by a fielder before it touches the ground, any object or person other than a defensive player."

However, there's also ASA 8-2-N: "The batter-runner is out when a spectator reaches into live ball territory and interferes with a fielder’s opportunity to catch a fly ball. EFFECT: The ball is dead. The batter is out and all runners are awarded the bases that in the umpire’s judgment, they would have reached."

Now, the spectator himself did not "reach" into live ball territory with his arm, per se. However, would you consider the act of flying a model plane into live ball territory an act of "reaching in?"

Either way, I think you're screwed. You either have an out due to spectator INT, or you have what's basically a ground ball.

Which one would you go with?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 02:44pm.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
At one of our local parks, there's some knucklehead who flies his model airplane. A lot. While it's his right to fly the model plane in a public park, he quite often flies a little too close to the field, sometimes as low as 40-50 feet above the outfielders' heads. We can't see whoever it is, and I don't think it's malicious in intent.

And how many of you have visions of Randy Johnson's pitch hitting the dove in mid-flight?
Play it like a wall
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Play it like a wall
Gladly! The good thing is that if this were to happen (and I do see it happening someday), the plane would likely be knocked out of the sky and crash-land on the field. Poor knucklehead will have to come to the field to get his trashed plane, while I tell him, "Serves you right. There are games going on over here, moron."