View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
I would believe that this would be a situation that is not covered by the rule book and an umpire can rule as s/he sees fit. In your play, on a popup, fielder camped under the ball and then the ball hits the plane, I have an out.
Well, let me toss this out there. ASA 8-2-C: "The batter-runner is out when after a fly ball is hit, the ball is caught by a fielder before it touches the ground, any object or person other than a defensive player."

However, there's also ASA 8-2-N: "The batter-runner is out when a spectator reaches into live ball territory and interferes with a fielder’s opportunity to catch a fly ball. EFFECT: The ball is dead. The batter is out and all runners are awarded the bases that in the umpire’s judgment, they would have reached."

Now, the spectator himself did not "reach" into live ball territory with his arm, per se. However, would you consider the act of flying a model plane into live ball territory an act of "reaching in?"

Either way, I think you're screwed. You either have an out due to spectator INT, or you have what's basically a ground ball.

Which one would you go with?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 02:44pm.