Thread: Partner peeves
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:59am
Elaine "Lady Blue" Elaine
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Exclamation

I agree with and have had #1-#4 in my years of umpiring. But, I thought of one more that's my pet peeve---the umpire who has 'rabbit ears'. That is he hears everything and everybody from Dad in the stands, to coaches mumbling under their breath, to the player fussing in the dugout. He then proceeds to be the World's Manager and tells them to shut up or he'll toss them--in other words, he has on the blue shirt so HE'S IN CHARGE, and wants to make everyone kowtow to him.
Very unprofessional!!!

As far as dirty, wrinkled uniforms--- I had a fellow on my crew at the 16U ASA National here in Georgia in 1999 that brought only 1 hat with him from home and it was dirty! Pants were not creased, shirts barely pressed. The other 5 of us on the crew were appalled!! I had 6 or 7 hats, all clean, (1 new one in case I had the final), so I loaned him 1 of my combos. Then we had to direct him nearly every step of the way in 3 man mechanics. We called him Wrong Way Bob.
Yes, his name was Bob, and we called him Wrong Way after the
character from Gilligan's Island and the fact that he always
went the wrong way. Guess what? When he didn't get any games late Saturday (duh) and of course none on Sunday, he went home and took my hat with him. He didn't even stay for the party. What a goof ball! Imagine what his evaluation looked like from the UIC. "Don't ever send him to another National", maybe? He was undoubtably one of the worst partners I've ever had.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995