The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Last game was Nov. 4. All my stuff's put away.

A couple of years ago, I did a doubleheader in one of those "domes" the day after Christmas, so maybe that will happen this year, too.
Yep, put all my stuff away..it was rainsoaked, so had to wait for it to dry. A good christmas tourney would be fun.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I guess you know how we envy you, too colds to play and apparently not far enough north for indoor domes. Nothing since late July, start again in March.
Same here, except no envy for southern counterparts. My season always ends the first weekend in August with an ASA tournament in Northern Michigan. At that time I am in transistion (clinics, rules meetings, etc) to VB which starts the end of August.

Now that VB has ended, I am enjoying the retired act, sleeping in mornings, having every night and weekend free to do inane things like typing on softball forums in the middle of winter.

I come out of hibernation in January as ASA/NFHS clinics and meetings start to fill the schedule. A couple scrimmage games late March, and on the field ready to go the first of April.

With respect to officiating, I have nothing left to prove. I don't give a da mn about ratings or evaluations or being selected for state or national tournaments. I simply enjoy being on the fields and courts with the kids - and the money fleshes out the retirement income. Life is good!

WMB
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
With respect to officiating, I have nothing left to prove. I don't give a da mn about ratings or evaluations or being selected for state or national tournaments. I simply enjoy being on the fields and courts with the kids - and the money fleshes out the retirement income. Life is good!

WMB
Very disappointing. Since you have nothing to prove, does that mean your approach to the game and mechanics change? Not saying that it does, just sorta sounds like it could.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Wouldn't that be "floor rules"?
Well, maybe "rug rules." I'm not sure what is under the fake grass.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very disappointing.
Why?

Because my attitudes, beliefs, and/or opinions do not match yours?

Quote:
Since you have nothing to prove, does that mean your approach to the game and mechanics change?
If you knew me, you would know that is an insulting and degrading question. Whatever I do in life, I strive to be the best. In officiating it means that I still pay (money and time) for clinics and rules training, even though, having been a trainer, I could do a better job than many of the clinicians I see. When I go on the field or court, I still intend to be the best official out there. When asked by my partner what position I want (plate/bases - SB or Up/Down - VB) I usually pick the position that I am having some difficulty at that time so that I can improve my mechanics.

But I don't go on the court or field to please the coach or evaluator so that I can advance to some higher level. I only have to answer to myself.

So I only take on enough schedule each year to have fun and for it to be an enjoyable diversion from my regular schedule. I only do girl's sports because I don't want to put up with the crap with boy's or adult sports. Because then it is a job, not a fun leisure activity.

My pride is the only motivator necessary; I don't need coaches or evaluator's approvals to push me to do a good job.

WMB
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Why?

Because my attitudes, beliefs, and/or opinions do not match yours?
I didn't say that.

Quote:
If you knew me, you would know that is an insulting and degrading question. Whatever I do in life, I strive to be the best. In officiating it means that I still pay (money and time) for clinics and rules training, even though, having been a trainer, I could do a better job than many of the clinicians I see. When I go on the field or court, I still intend to be the best official out there. When asked by my partner what position I want (plate/bases - SB or Up/Down - VB) I usually pick the position that I am having some difficulty at that time so that I can improve my mechanics.

But I don't go on the court or field to please the coach or evaluator so that I can advance to some higher level. I only have to answer to myself.

So I only take on enough schedule each year to have fun and for it to be an enjoyable diversion from my regular schedule. I only do girl's sports because I don't want to put up with the crap with boy's or adult sports. Because then it is a job, not a fun leisure activity.

My pride is the only motivator necessary; I don't need coaches or evaluator's approvals to push me to do a good job.

WMB
Thank you. That's why I asked because I've heard the exact same statement from other umpires and hearing it here made me cringe. I would be shocked if we all haven't seen umpires who back off just because they think they do not need to impress anyone.

I'm talking about good, NC-level umpires that change dramatically. All of a sudden, the uniform becomes whatever they choose it to be that day. The mechanics start to weaken and signals become less crisp, when used at all.

I'm glad to hear you are not one of those umpires.

The only time I've gone out and changed something that may have been contrary to the book, or have told others to do so, is when the tournament UIC gives such an instruction. A good umpire will not change anything just because there isn't anyone rating him, but then again, you never know who is watching. Even when working alone, I often give an IF signal and wipe off even though I know there is no one there to return it. Like you, a good umpire will have too much pride in what they do to get lazy and take it easier because I have nothing to prove.

I'm glad to hear you are still a good umpire.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you are still a good umpire.
Thank you.

BTW - I still shine my shoes between all games in a tournament.

WMB
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Indoor Cup - Netherlands

Season starts for me in Jan with the Indoor Cup in the Netherlands.
See you there Sander and Steve M?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukumpire
I'll be there! If not in uniform, then I'm for sure there to shake your hand. Have a good winter.

(off topic)
Spencer, did I hear it whisper that you're planning to work games through the summer in Holland? Is that true?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukumpire
Spencer - and Sander - yes I'll be there. And my wife wants to come watch me umpire for some reason. I wonder if it's the location................
Anyway, it will be good to have some new faces to put with names.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Indoor Cup

HTML Code:
Spencer - and Sander - yes I'll be there. And my wife wants to come watch me umpire for some reason. I wonder if it's the location................
Anyway, it will be good to have some new faces to put with names
Steve,

I went to the indoor cup last year and had a blast. Denny got me in. You will love The Netherlands and Paris.

Be sure to have Sander buy you a real beer. He had to show me what a real beer was.

Larry White
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
...Be sure to have Sander buy you a real beer. He had to show me what a real beer was. ...
Larry, Help me remember what kind a beer that was... I shall not have sold you "Heineken" as real beer. Was is stronger than "normal dutch beer", like "Dubbel, Triple or Trapsit"? Or was it the local beer they serve at the bar, which is already stronger (higher in alcohol) than in the States?
Did you like the beer that Niema bought us, from Köln (Germany)?

We have a beer around here with 10Vol% alcohol (Grand Prestige); for the first one, you'll take a chair and sit down. With the second one, you'll still be sitting. After the thirt you must be sitting, can't stand up...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

There is real beer in the United States. Sadly, though, if it isn't BudMillerCoors most people are unaware of it. All I drink around beer time is real beer. There are over 1600 independent brewers in the US, and the "big three" get the majority of the sales.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

North Carolina just raised their allowable alcohol content for beer from 6% alcohol to 18%. We've finally been able to get some good beers like Hoegaarden, which are at around 8% alcohol. Half a bottle, and I started feeling warm.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Done Till Feb....

Finished up last weekend. Nothing till a NUS school in mid February. Our HS meetings start about the same time. We have very little slow pitch ,which I do,over the winter.