The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

i never "offer" info to baserunners ... but i'll answer honestly one if asked something & its the time to do so
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Is this the thinking when it comes time to discuss calls the coaches disagree with? That the umpire is subserviant?
It is the attitude of most of the Div I coaches, and several of those from D II and lower. It is the attitude of most of the conference officials, and coordinators, who appear mostly worried about answering the coaches' concerns, never really adressing deplorable behavior by the coaches. Yes, it is our's to handle when it crosses the line, but we are rarely backed on anything but outrageous behavior.

In my personal opinion, far too many (in fact, damn near all) NCAA umpires attempt to ignore the consistent stream of disagreements with ball/strike judgments, fair/foul decisions, safe/out decisions. No one will tell a coach that sitting there disagreeing verbally with every call is unsportsmanlike, or that coming out to argue purely judgment calls that they KNOW from 80 feet away at a bad angle that we missed, that is "horrible", and on, and on.

No one will enforce the NCAA rules that have been newly added to require batters and pitchers to get it going; and, absolutely NO ONE has the balls to refuse to grant "time" to a batter who simply requests it to control the pitcher, despite the direction from the highest levels to NOT GRANT TIME. Rarely will any umpire refuse to award a base to a batter who is hit by a pitch while making no effort to avoid; I know some who will award first base to a batter who has obviously and clearly leaned into a pitch. Because they are afraid the coaches will blacklist them, most simply want to survive their games, and hope the adage of the umpire who isn't noticed will carry them to the promised land.

And now it is sliding down to high school, the speed up rules and don't grant time rulings. Georgia is a fall high school softball state, I have called almost 60 games this year, watched (evaluated) almost 60 more, and have never seen even one umpire other than me refuse to grant a batter time. Not even in my own association, even working with me.

Hell, yeah, we are subservient. More in NCAA than anywhere else, but overall, the umpires have no balls.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
I don"t throw up hands normally, [like a TD, or FG], just call foul. Not Foul Ball, cause everyone knows the object is a ball.

All the rest, I will agree with Mike on.
Glad you don't throw your hands up like a TD/FG because the correct signal is with palms facing forward, not toward each other.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
It is the attitude of most of the Div I coaches, and several of those from D II and lower. It is the attitude of most of the conference officials, and coordinators, who appear mostly worried about answering the coaches' concerns, never really adressing deplorable behavior by the coaches. Yes, it is our's to handle when it crosses the line, but we are rarely backed on anything but outrageous behavior.

In my personal opinion, far too many (in fact, damn near all) NCAA umpires attempt to ignore the consistent stream of disagreements with ball/strike judgments, fair/foul decisions, safe/out decisions. No one will tell a coach that sitting there disagreeing verbally with every call is unsportsmanlike, or that coming out to argue purely judgment calls that they KNOW from 80 feet away at a bad angle that we missed, that is "horrible", and on, and on.

No one will enforce the NCAA rules that have been newly added to require batters and pitchers to get it going; and, absolutely NO ONE has the balls to refuse to grant "time" to a batter who simply requests it to control the pitcher, despite the direction from the highest levels to NOT GRANT TIME. Rarely will any umpire refuse to award a base to a batter who is hit by a pitch while making no effort to avoid; I know some who will award first base to a batter who has obviously and clearly leaned into a pitch. Because they are afraid the coaches will blacklist them, most simply want to survive their games, and hope the adage of the umpire who isn't noticed will carry them to the promised land.

And now it is sliding down to high school, the speed up rules and don't grant time rulings. Georgia is a fall high school softball state, I have called almost 60 games this year, watched (evaluated) almost 60 more, and have never seen even one umpire other than me refuse to grant a batter time. Not even in my own association, even working with me.

Hell, yeah, we are subservient. More in NCAA than anywhere else, but overall, the umpires have no balls.
I couldn't survive in that world. Thanks for the reply.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:44am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
I don"t throw up hands normally, [like a TD, or FG], just call foul. Not Foul Ball, cause everyone knows the object is a ball.

All the rest, I will agree with Mike on.
I was told by our ASA District UIC here to yell "foul", not "foul ball". Rationale: players could become confused as to whether the call was a foul or a ball.

My USSSA state UIC told me to yell "foul ball". Rationale: so the players would know the ball went foul, and not to confuse the players with the words foul and out, which may sound the same from a distance.

The ASA state UIC said I could yell either one. Rationale: who the hell cares about the players, your mechanics are more important.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I was told by our ASA District UIC here to yell "foul", not "foul ball". Rationale: players could become confused as to whether the call was a foul or a ball.

My USSSA state UIC told me to yell "foul ball". Rationale: so the players would know the ball went foul, and not to confuse the players with the words foul and out, which may sound the same from a distance.

The ASA state UIC said I could yell either one. Rationale: who the hell cares about the players, your mechanics are more important.
And I can't tell you how many times I've had a player go "I'm out?" when they think the umpire said "out" instead of "foul." Not that it's a big deal, because a foul ball's a dead ball, but still...

One more example of why those "one word" calls aren't always a perfect solution.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:31pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Thus my Pandora's Box dilemma. No wonder my counseling bill is racking up when softball season rolls around.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Odd...I have never had any confusion that I can recall when a ball is hit foul and I simply call "foul." If they think that I called them out, then they deserve to be out in my opinion. These must not be very seasoned players y'all are talking about.

I have never had any confusion or problems with the one word calls, either.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Odd...I have never had any confusion that I can recall when a ball is hit foul and I simply call "foul." .......
either have I - that I can recall
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Odd...I have never had any confusion that I can recall when a ball is hit foul and I simply call "foul." If they think that I called them out, then they deserve to be out in my opinion. These must not be very seasoned players y'all are talking about.

I have never had any confusion or problems with the one word calls, either.
And one shouldn't as long as the umpire remembers this is a four-letter word that begins with the letter "F" and prounounces it in that manner.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I'm struggling to remember a player thinking they were out when they were not.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:34am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And one shouldn't as long as the umpire remembers this is a four-letter word that begins with the letter "F" and prounounces it in that manner.
As much as that should be the case, imagine having to yell it while a plane is flying over. It seems like all the complexes I work at here are in the flight path of some type of aircraft making a landing or take off. The worse one is the one that's directly in the path of the Air Force base, and really drives the players crazy when the AF guys are working on touch and go landings and take-offs. A plane comes around just about every 10 minutes or so...I almost can do the time limit in my head from the bases based on the planes coming and going, LOL.