The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
New York State School

Had a chance to attend this at Saratoga Springs this past weekend, and had a BLAST! Great instruction, great networking with other umps from around the state, a totally worthwhile experience!

All of the instructors were top-notch. They were patient, and used nothing but positive reinforcement. The president of NYSSO even made a point of saying that they were NOT going to be like some of the ASA schools, as far treating the students like babies!

Along with the New York Instructors (including two from my backyard) and the ubiquitous Jay Miner, the 'featured' instructor was a gentleman that some of you might know by the name of Ed Whipple, a fairly Senior NCAA Div I/II official from Florida. The best way I can describe his manner, knowledge and dedication is this way: After a fairly long session on hot fields, and in a hot school gym on Friday, most of us repaired back to our nice air conditioned motel rooms with our 'adult beverages'...after being back for a short while, my roomies and I went out to the courtyard of the place....where Mr Whipple ('call me Ed for Petes sake!) gave, in about 45 minutes time, short, concise, understandable dissertations on: Crow Hops....DP/Flex....and the best and most efficient way to keep your line up card. Whipple also got to evaluate me on the plate when we were doing our live games on Sunday, and there also short, concise things I need to work on, how to correct them, and all the positives about my game. Again, all umpire to umpire, as someone truly interested in improving the sport! A very special experience!

Anyone out there know this man?

and he was a blast at our dinner also!
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Glad you got the chance to meet the "whip".
I have worked many times with Ed and have always had a blast.
He has a bit of a warped sense of humor.......(wait, this is an umpire board so that statement would be redundant) and can really pull some good ones in the middle of teaching you some really good stuff.

Whip also comes up with some unique ideas on making your game go easier even when it is 2:30 am and the pitchers can't throw a strike to save their lives. (yep, we really did a game like that in 2004).
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Talking Saratoga Springs

Why did they wait till after the racing season??????????????????

You know we are all gamblers!!!!!!!
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Mostly because NYSSO gets the motel cheap!

Besides, Saratoga has one of those 'racinos' - a harness track that has slots and such.....

Our group was crazy - we would rather drink beer and talk umpiring.....