The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Georgia High School State Tournament Web Cast

For those that care to watch the State Tournament games in GA, you can catch it live via the web at thist site:

http://www.gpb.org/public/tv/index.jsp?pcode=streaming

Not to toot my own whistle, but I will be working the final game of the night at 8:15(ish).
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Have a good 'un, Andre'.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was able to watch some of the game. It looked like you guys did a good job. I did see the blarge you guys had. What made you guys go with the PC foul? Other than that how did you feel about the game?

Congrats on the coveted assignment.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire47
I was able to watch some of the game. It looked like you guys did a good job. I did see the blarge you guys had. What made you guys go with the PC foul? Other than that how did you feel about the game?

Congrats on the coveted assignment.
Ump, I saw that blarge as well, and wondered the same thing. The only blarge I had was a couple seasons ago. We ended up having to report both fouls. I didn't too much like doing that, especially when I immediately replayed it in my head. It was in my primary and realized I made the wrong call and the "C" had the right call.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Ump/ Joe:

We actually did go with the double foul, but in the "oh sh!t" of the moment, we actually kicked the rule relative to double fouls. Went with AP. Believe it or not, we had 3 whistles! I was the one that came out with the PC. Didn't see fist or hear the Lead's whistle (he had the bock). When trail came in and withheld his signal, I went with mine. Forgot to record the game so I'm waiting on the DVD to review it. How did the play appear to you guys?

Other than that, I feel good about the game and our overall performance.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South GA BBall Ref
Ump/ Joe:

We actually did go with the double foul, but in the "oh sh!t" of the moment, we actually kicked the rule relative to double fouls. Went with AP. Believe it or not, we had 3 whistles! I was the one that came out with the PC. Didn't see fist or hear the Lead's whistle (he had the bock). When trail came in and withheld his signal, I went with mine. Forgot to record the game so I'm waiting on the DVD to review it. How did the play appear to you guys?

South, I thought you guys did a great job on that game. Jordan kept pressing the issue all night and I guess they didn't buy into tall the E. Hall hype... Looked like a great game to call, and you guys were running ALL game..
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
South, I thought you guys did a great job on that game. Jordan kept pressing the issue all night and I guess they didn't buy into tall the E. Hall hype... Looked like a great game to call, and you guys were running ALL game..
Dre',

It was close, but I belive you got it right. Several of us couldn't figure out if you put the ball back in play incorrectly or you went with your PC call only. Of course, the annoucers did not have a clue. I hope the guys on this board that have never, or never will have, a blarge gives you too much $hit.

Man, you look better on TV than you do in person. Makeup?

Mulk
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ump/ Joe:

I tivo'd the game and saw the blarge. Unfortunately blarges happen and it is how they are handled afterwards that matter. It took way to long to resume play. Report both fouls, if the offense had the ball then it will be their ball otherwise go to the AP. Your partner (the lead) instead of reporting his foul to the table goes and has a discussion with the scorer. I'm sure he is telling the scorer what the rule is and who his foul is on but this is why some people thought only the player control was reported. Then the R gets both coaches together and explains to them what takes place. All of this took too long and this is something that you should take away from this play. Everyone makes mistakes but the sooner the game is resumed the less everyone harps on these mistakes.

The actual play was very close. I could see why a blarge took place because it appears that the player gets to the spot in time but it also could appear from a different angle that the player moved under the offense after he was airborne. Wasn't this your first foul call of the game? You seemed to recover from it okay.

There was another double whistle later in the game where you (slot) had a foul and your partner (lead across the paint) had a travel. There was nothing you could do b/c your partner came out and sold the travel. Unfortunately he was wrong and out of his area. You had the correct call!
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

All Heart:

Thanks for the insight. That is exactly what we talked about after the game (took too long). I agree that things like that will happen and you are correct in how it should be handled. It was indeed my first call of the game.

As it related to the other double whistle with the lead coming acroos the lane to get the travel. I chose not to go to my partner on the fact that the foul caused the travel because of how he sold it and the fact that we'd recently had that blarge.

I will surely use this experience to help others as I will be on staff for a camp this summer. It's one thing to talk about it, but another to have experienced it.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There was another double whistle later in the game where you (slot) had a foul and your partner (lead across the paint) had a travel. There was nothing you could do b/c your partner came out and sold the travel. Unfortunately he was wrong and out of his area. You had the correct call!
This guy will not be getting an assignment at tomegun's Las Vegas camp.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As it related to the other double whistle with the lead coming acroos the lane to get the travel. I chose not to go to my partner on the fact that the foul caused the travel because of how he sold it and the fact that we'd recently had that blarge.
I agree that you should not have gone to your partner because of how he sold the travel. He should have come to you and asked "Did the foul cause the travel" or "Was the foul before the travel". However the problem was that after watching it on tivo a couple of times, the player NEVER traveled! By the way this also was called against the team that was down!