The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Should a state association accomodate a religious school for the playoffs?

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...510.xml&coll=7
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

You're opening a pretty big worm of cans if you accomodate the school in this instance, IMHO.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!!. There may be a chance
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA specifically accomodates BYU by placing them in a bracket which plays on Thursday and Saturday, not Friday and Sunday in the basketball tournaments.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"What it looks like, frankly, in the record, is that you're not making any accommodations for this religious purpose but you're making accommodations . . . for all sorts of secular purposes," Justice Thomas Balmer said to the OSAA's attorney.
Interesting....wonder what he meant by that
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

What the school is asking for here is not a reasonable accommodation. In BYU's case, the only time it becomes even remotely problematic is for the NCAA basketball tournament. Further, BYU wants Sunday's off. If they wanted Saturday's off and made the final four, I can assure you the NCAA wouldn't be accommodating.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
What the school is asking for here is not a reasonable accommodation. In BYU's case, the only time it becomes even remotely problematic is for the NCAA basketball tournament. Further, BYU wants Sunday's off. If they wanted Saturday's off and made the final four, I can assure you the NCAA wouldn't be accommodating.
Do you believe that the NCAA makes this accomodation for BYU only in basketball, but not in the tournaments for other sports?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Does Oregon play games on Sunday? Probably not. They are accommodating the traditional Sabbath for most Christians if they do not. If Oregon tried to schedule games on Sunday you would see more protests than what you see here. I don't think it would be that hard for Oregon to be flexible in this situation, but that is just my opinion.

I also applaud the school for forfeiting games in prior years. It is rare to see someone stand up for their religious beliefs in the sports world. I may not agree with another's religious belief, but I will support them in their cause if I feel they are being treated unfairly because of their beliefs. In this case, I feel it would not be that hard to reschedule a game. I would applaud the opponent even more if they would not take the forfeit win
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The NCAA specifically accomodates BYU by placing them in a bracket which plays on Thursday and Saturday, not Friday and Sunday in the basketball tournaments.
they actually go further than that....Thursday Saturday brackets sometimes feed Friday, Sunday.. A couple years ago, it was mentioned that the NCAA was set to move them to another "pod" if they advanced to avoid the Sunday thing. I personally think it is wrong to make the accomodations, other Christians also observe the Sabbath on Sunday, Notre Dame doesn't hesitate to play on Sunday in tournaments. I also would be willing to bet that you can find plenty of people playing basketball in Provo on Sunday...this isn't "working" on the Sabbath, it is playing....
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
they actually go further than that....Thursday Saturday brackets sometimes feed Friday, Sunday.. A couple years ago, it was mentioned that the NCAA was set to move them to another "pod" if they advanced to avoid the Sunday thing.
This was done because the committee overlooked the fact BYU was scheduled to play on a Sunday if they won the first round that year. BYU lost and it was not an issue.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

yep

Yep JRut hit it on the head.....I just hate that they do it...In the name of discrimination/persectution it is just as damaging to make accomodations for one group over the interests of another in my opinion.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:29pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Do you believe that the NCAA makes this accomodation for BYU only in basketball, but not in the tournaments for other sports?
BYU's policy is not to participate in ANY sporting event that takes place on a Sunday. In general the NCAA will make accomodations for this policy, but in the event that the NCAA will not accomodate them, BYU will forfeit the contest rather than play on Sunday.

I remember a few years ago, one of the teams had a chance to go to a national championship which would take place on a Sunday and the NCAA agreed to move the contest from Sunday to Monday to accomdate them if they made it that far.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
other Christians also observe the Sabbath on Sunday,
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF in PA
They are accommodating the traditional Sabbath for most Christians
Nobody observes the Sabbath on Sunday. The Sabbath, by definition, is the last day of the week when God rested after creation. It's Saturday, specifically sunset Friday through sunset Saturday.

Christians who "rest" on Sunday observe "the Lord's day" because it's the day that Jesus rose from the dead.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:32pm
9 times

Quote:
they actually go further than that....Thursday Saturday brackets sometimes feed Friday, Sunday.. A couple years ago, it was mentioned that the NCAA was set to move them to another "pod" if they advanced to avoid the Sunday thing. I personally think it is wrong to make the accomodations, other Christians also observe the Sabbath on Sunday, Notre Dame doesn't hesitate to play on Sunday in tournaments. I also would be willing to bet that you can find plenty of people playing basketball in Provo on Sunday...this isn't "working" on the Sabbath, it is playing....
You can interpret "Keeping the Sabbath day holy" in any way you choose. The way that the leadership of the school (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) interprets it is to not participate in athletic contests on Sundays. If individuals in Provo (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) want to play on Sundays, that is their choice.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If rescheduling doesn't place a hardship on someone, what's the big deal? Just because Notre Dame (or BC, or Oral Roberts, etc.) doesn't reschedule doesn't mean BYU doesn't believe more strongly in this particular issue.
Again, if accomodating doesn't impose a real hardship on the other parties, I don't see a problem with it.