The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

IMO, this is a HTBT play, and the key issue is when is the runner avoiding a tag? Stopping, even retreating, when the fielder ahead has the ball is not avoiding a tag; you cannot be avoiding a hypothetical tag until one is attempted. AHA!! The key, I think, is that a tag must be attempted; once that happens, the base path is established, and the 3' variation avoiding the tag in any direction, including a reversal when forced, can be enforced.

Prior to the attempt, being forced doesn't require a runner to run into a future tag. After all, the play made may remove that force.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
True, but irrelevant to the play at hand as such an occurence was not stated in the OP, thus cannot be considered
Per my above responses, Timmy's justification to use this rule was that her base path was between her position, "X", and 3B... and Timmy wanted to say that she was now 3 feet from the "X-3B" base path... thus had violated the rule. When I explained that by moving backwards towards 2B, she had created a second and completely new base path, that's when it finally made sense to Mr. Timmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Not so fast. You said think like the protest committee. I don't have to prove anything and to be honest, neither does the coach. Both parties offer their view of the play, the umpire states what they called and why. From there, the protest committee either upholds the protest of the misapplication of the rule or denies it.
I know. I said the coach thing to get you riled up...
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
When I explained to Timmy that ya can't do that unless it was the BR,

Why cant the BR run backwards on the basepath??
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
Why cant the BR run backwards on the basepath??
Because there is a rule that specifically prohibits it.

Good enough reason for me!
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Because there is a rule that specifically prohibits it.

Good enough reason for me!
learning every day!!! thanks
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
You have given a totally different scenario where R1 isn't forced to advance. The OP had bases loaded, where every runner is forced to advance.

Does that matter? Is the base path created when the runner is forced to advance? i.e.: in the OP, R2 on 2B set her path to 3B, then deviated (backwards) by more than 3 feet to avoid the tag.

Just sparking discussion here... think like a protest committee ... prove to me that calling an out in the OP is incorrect.
The basepath is the line between the baserunner and the base she's going to. There is NO RULE that says a runner (other than BR between home and 1st) cannot run toward her previous base. Retreating more than 3 feet to avoid a tag is CERTAINLY a legal move, as she is heading toward the previous base and still in her basepath to that base. Subsequent action could even allow her to run to and stop at that base, should a succeeding runner be put out at any point.

West Houston Mike