The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Never Seen This One!

R1 on First, Batter hits ball into gap, as R1 is rounding second going to third, bag comes off its peg and ends up about 7 feet from where its supposed to be. Batter who just rounded first tryin to go to second, but there is no base. I allow the runner to go to third and keep the batter/runnner at first. Did I blow that one?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Did you kill the play?

I think you're supposed to let them proceed, so they would end up as if the base never came off. Would the batter have gotten to 2B safely on this ball hit in the gap?

If there would have been a play on the BR at 2B and a defender is tagging the BR, and the BR is already standing on the peg/hole for the proper 2B, is the BR safe? What the heck do you do?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I killed it as soon as I saw that there couple possibly be a play as the throw was comin into second. I put the runner who knocked it off on third and brought the runner back to first. The coach said "how can you do that" I simply said where would you like your runner to go.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, methinks you kinda blew this call.

If you're talking ASA rules, there's no need to kill this play (unless there's a huge metal spike that somehow goes through R2's foot - THEN you kill the play). If a base becomes dislodged, continue the play. If there's a play on a runner at a dislodged base, you pretty much make your best assessment on what would have happened had the base not been dislodged (which sometimes isn't hard to do, as you can still see the outline of the base in the dirt).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you playing the home game, the answer is in 8-3-C. Dislodged bases are also covered in 8-8-N and 8-4-K. The index has it pretty well labeled.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
For those of you playing the home game, the answer is in 8-3-C.
And here's Johnny to tell 'em what they've won.

Thanks, Dave! Tonight's second and third place home contestants win a summer's supply of Triple Medicated Gold Bond Powder. Yep, three squeezes right down the old shorts on a hot summer day when you're doing five in a row, and boy do you start to feel better...well, at least until that medicated part hits a hemorrhoid! Don't forget...Triple Medicated Gold Bond Powder!

Back to you, Dave!
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
And here's Johnny to tell 'em what they've won.

Thanks, Dave! Tonight's second and third place home contestants win a summer's supply of Triple Medicated Gold Bond Powder. Yep, three squeezes right down the old shorts on a hot summer day when you're doing five in a row, and boy do you start to feel better...well, at least until that medicated part hits a hemorrhoid! Don't forget...Triple Medicated Gold Bond Powder!

Back to you, Dave!
I guess you didn't see one of my other rants on my website. Since I just moved, my server isn't hooked up yet. I'll get that rant to you as soon as Time Warner gets my connection back up, and my DNS entries re-propagate.

Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
I killed it as soon as I saw that there couple possibly be a play as the throw was comin into second. I put the runner who knocked it off on third and brought the runner back to first. The coach said "how can you do that" I simply said where would you like your runner to go.
You're going to need to apply the inadvertent whistle rule now.

Don't kill the play unless you're sure that you need to. You didn't, and shouldn't have, in this case.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
R1 on First, Batter hits ball into gap, as R1 is rounding second going to third, bag comes off its peg and ends up about 7 feet from where its supposed to be. Batter who just rounded first tryin to go to second, but there is no base. I allow the runner to go to third and keep the batter/runnner at first. Did I blow that one?
I had similar play at aon Ontario JR Men's Provincial. I was the 3rd base ump at the 2nd base position with runner on 1st when the batter hit a dribbler down to F5 who charge the ball, picked and thru to 2nd base in an underhanded, side arm motion. He had so much force on it that the ball looped way over F4 head and headed for the outfeild fence splitting the to outfeilders. R1 had slid hard into 2nd dislodging the bag with enough force the bag ended up at the edge of the outfeild grass. He jumps up and heads for 3rd, then home easily however B1 rounds 1st and heads for 2nd and comes to a stop trying to figure whre to go as there as the bag is way out, the magnetic base is covered with dirt so you can't see it, He is actually standing there looking around, third base coach is yelling for him to get to 3rd.( actually it was quite comical the look on B1's face) The outfeilder finally throws in the ball to F4 who tags B1 who is standing about 2 steps off of where the base should have been. I caklled the runner safe as he was still in the area of the proper location, sorry I don't have my rule book handy to quote the proper ruling #s etc. After a breif argument from defensive coach we got back to playing with no protest.
During the postgame breifing with the UIC who asked why I made the call like I did, "he breifed me in a way that I started tothink I screwed the call"
then I'm told I handled it right.
I only killed the play when F4 made a play on B1 at 2nd.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry for all the spelling errors in my post, I guess I'm all thumbs today on my computer.