View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
R1 on First, Batter hits ball into gap, as R1 is rounding second going to third, bag comes off its peg and ends up about 7 feet from where its supposed to be. Batter who just rounded first tryin to go to second, but there is no base. I allow the runner to go to third and keep the batter/runnner at first. Did I blow that one?
I had similar play at aon Ontario JR Men's Provincial. I was the 3rd base ump at the 2nd base position with runner on 1st when the batter hit a dribbler down to F5 who charge the ball, picked and thru to 2nd base in an underhanded, side arm motion. He had so much force on it that the ball looped way over F4 head and headed for the outfeild fence splitting the to outfeilders. R1 had slid hard into 2nd dislodging the bag with enough force the bag ended up at the edge of the outfeild grass. He jumps up and heads for 3rd, then home easily however B1 rounds 1st and heads for 2nd and comes to a stop trying to figure whre to go as there as the bag is way out, the magnetic base is covered with dirt so you can't see it, He is actually standing there looking around, third base coach is yelling for him to get to 3rd.( actually it was quite comical the look on B1's face) The outfeilder finally throws in the ball to F4 who tags B1 who is standing about 2 steps off of where the base should have been. I caklled the runner safe as he was still in the area of the proper location, sorry I don't have my rule book handy to quote the proper ruling #s etc. After a breif argument from defensive coach we got back to playing with no protest.
During the postgame breifing with the UIC who asked why I made the call like I did, "he breifed me in a way that I started tothink I screwed the call"
then I'm told I handled it right.
I only killed the play when F4 made a play on B1 at 2nd.