The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
OK, so because I wear patent leather shoes I do a disservice to the NCAA?
Reading is Fundamental... that's NOT what he said.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Remember way back in post #2 of this thread?

Man, now you've done it.

I guess I need to run out and buy a lottery ticket.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Remember way back in post #2 of this thread?

Man, now you've done it.

I guess I need to run out and buy a lottery ticket.
Get me one, too, Mr Lucky Pants. Powerball's up to $245 mil!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Get me one, too, Mr Lucky Pants. Powerball's up to $245 mil!
I don''t think predicting the predictable qualifies as "lucky", exactly.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I do have a curiosity question, though, for anyone who has and wears both regular and patent leather plate shoes...

The only patent leather shoes I've ever worn were what came with rental tuxes, and those shoes were uncomfortable in just about every way possible, but the part attributable to the finish of the leather was that my feet got hot and sweaty - and I was mostly just standing around, and they were very stiff.

So, my question: Do you notice a difference in comfort between the two? Do the natural leather shoes flex more easily and breathe better? I would think so.

Personally (even if the softball HFMICs endorsed patent leather), the shoes would seem completely unsuitable for any athletic use and I would not use them for that purpose. The ease of cleaning and glaringly shiny look would not be a good trade-off for stiff sweaty shoes.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Darn, and my Uncle Herb has given me his entire collection of patent leather belts, too. Wait, I can't use them anyway - they're white!

Hmmm... Maybe I could get a plaid plate coat....
Uncle Herb???

Tarlek???

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Found this thread on the football board.

Cleanning Your Shoes After a Dusty Day?

Maybe there is a market for patent leather in a different sport?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Patent Leather anything

If patent leather is what you have, just keep wearing it, it will evidentially loosen up and conform to your waist like any other HD belt. Yes, I wear patent leather belt & 3/4 plate shoes. If they are good enough for Gerry Davis in pro baseball, who worked the dish last night, Cincy over Atlanta game, they are good enough for me or any one else who wants to look professional. If you think patent leather has on place in "SOFTBALL", get over it. I work HS & college baseball & softball and see patent in both. If you don't like it, don't use it. Your shoes probably look like they have not been cleaned in weeks. The advantages of patent are many and they do hold up well. 5 & 6 years for 2 pairs. Thank you Gerry Davis for making what I think is the BEST plate shoe out there.
Work on your mechanics and do not worry what someone else wants to wear.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
Uncle Herb???

Tarlek???
EXACTLY!

One of my favorite comedies of all time! (Glad you got the reference.)
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64
If patent leather is what you have, just keep wearing it, it will evidentially loosen up and conform to your waist like any other HD belt. Yes, I wear patent leather belt & 3/4 plate shoes. If they are good enough for Gerry Davis in pro baseball, who worked the dish last night, Cincy over Atlanta game, they are good enough for me or any one else who wants to look professional. If you think patent leather has on place in "SOFTBALL", get over it. I work HS & college baseball & softball and see patent in both. If you don't like it, don't use it. Your shoes probably look like they have not been cleaned in weeks. The advantages of patent are many and they do hold up well. 5 & 6 years for 2 pairs. Thank you Gerry Davis for making what I think is the BEST plate shoe out there.
I guess you told us!

So, I guess you have no issue with leather ball bags, either.

In case you hadn't noticed, there are not too many MLB umpire groupies on this board.

Also in case you hadn't noticed, there are not too many here who give a rat's behind what MLB umpires wear. That seems to be an infatuation on the small ball board, I know. But, it is a big "yawn" here.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64
What is your opinion on using the 4 wheel indicator (your clicker)? Leather hip pouch? deerskin mask pads? gel pens? changing a coin from pocket to pocket to remember which team is at bat? throwing a yellow flag to signal obstruction? blowing a whistle at the end of a time limit? Hanging your water bottle on the inside of the fence right behind home plate? Wearing your hat backwards under your mask? Giving a red card to an ejected coach?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I guess you told us!

So, I guess you have no issue with leather ball bags, either.

In case you hadn't noticed, there are not too many MLB umpire groupies on this board.

Also in case you hadn't noticed, there are not too many here who give a rat's behind what MLB umpires wear. That seems to be an infatuation on the small ball board, I know. But, it is a big "yawn" here.
Great minds do think alike

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota asked: So, my question: Do you notice a difference in comfort between the two? Do the natural leather shoes flex more easily and breathe better?

Being in the Army for 20+ years has given me the opportunity to apply a bit of polish to leather. Needless to say I was happier than Michael Jackson at Boystown when we switched to suede boots. Our shoes that we wear with our dress and some service uniforms are made of a substance called Corfram mentioned earlier in this post. It is far more comfortable and breathable than old patent leather. I would assume that the shoes sold today as patent leather are actually Corfram and that would make them as good or better than some cheap cuts of leather. It would take a significant emtional event to get me to even consider "patent leather" shoes. I can and do apply a good old fashioned spit shine to my shoes before every game even during tournaments. It's a matter of pride.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

My last spit shine was in ROTC, and that was (lets just say), some time ago! But, I bet I could still make it shine with the best of 'em. These days, though, I find the Kiwi Parade Polish will brush up to a very nice shine. It won't blind anyone, but it looks very good.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
Great minds do think alike
Yeah. I do read the baseball board from time-to-time. Some of their flame wars are very entertaining.