The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
...he told [the fan] to leave the park. When the fan refused ...
I once had a 2-7 off suit and was betting like I had a pair of Kings. Someone called my bluff, too, just like this guy called the PU's bluff. The PU had no authority.

This is why I ignore the fans, because I have no authority over them. If there is an issue in the fan section that needs to be addressed, I let park/game management address it... after one of the other fans complains about the situation. It's not my problem. (Threatening a participant, coming on the field or throwing something onto the field is about the only reason think I would notify park management myself.)
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

You just brought to mind a situation that occurred at a rec-league game that we had to miss.

Visiting team has one or two loud and obnoxious fans. At least as bad as OP. I think what sparked the following was a close call at first.

PU, finally getting enough tells a fan to shut up or he'll throw him out. Visiting coach reportedly tells the fan "Don't worry, he can't do anything do you." [Really helpful, wasn't she ]. Anyway, the fan follows her advice and keeps haranging the ump, who then tells him he has to leave. Eventually fan leaves and game resumes.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

When Do You Stop Ignoring Fans?

When you step out of you car and ready yourself to call the game.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

When do you stop ignoring the fans?

Never.

Never get into a pi$$ing contest with a skunk.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
I need to contradict some other's here who have said "never". For full disclosure, I happened to eject a fan Tuesday night. In my situation, adult women's fastpitch, the fan started complaining about calls in the first game of a double-header. This I can ignore all day. However, in game two she became exceedingly loud and boisterous. I observed the tone of both teams and the other handful of fans as a couple innings passed. It was clear to me that she was embarrassing her own team and entertaining the opposition and their fans. So long as this was the case, I have no problem. The end of her night came when she questioned my integrity as an umpire. That was when I informed her coach, loud enough so she and other fans could hear that she had one minute to vacate or the game was to be forfeited.

There is a line for players, a line for coaches, and a line for spectators. When the line is crossed, they have to go. In my case, it was through the coach, in college it is the on-site administrator, in HS it is a school representative, in the pros it is a host team staff member. There is always an avenue but you can not bluff your way through it. When it is time, you have to commit to your actions or you will lose all credibility and respect on the field.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

"she had one minute to vacate or the game was to be forfeited."

By what rule would you have forfeited the game had the spectator refused to leave??? There is none, the coaches/managers ARE NOT responsible for the conduct of the fans.

This might be the point where you put the players in the dugouts and refuse to restart, or suspend the game and walk-off. Then let the administration deal with game suspension.

Last edited by sargee7; Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 10:18am.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
I need to contradict some other's here who have said "never". For full disclosure, I happened to eject a fan Tuesday night. In my situation, adult women's fastpitch, the fan started complaining about calls in the first game of a double-header. This I can ignore all day. However, in game two she became exceedingly loud and boisterous. I observed the tone of both teams and the other handful of fans as a couple innings passed. It was clear to me that she was embarrassing her own team and entertaining the opposition and their fans. So long as this was the case, I have no problem. The end of her night came when she questioned my integrity as an umpire. That was when I informed her coach, loud enough so she and other fans could hear that she had one minute to vacate or the game was to be forfeited.

There is a line for players, a line for coaches, and a line for spectators. When the line is crossed, they have to go. In my case, it was through the coach, in college it is the on-site administrator, in HS it is a school representative, in the pros it is a host team staff member. There is always an avenue but you can not bluff your way through it. When it is time, you have to commit to your actions or you will lose all credibility and respect on the field.
I agree with your post. It's probably semantics but I, as an umpire, have no authority to eject a fan. I remember having a fan removed a few years ago in a college game and calling my supervisor about it afterwards. She said YOU didn't do it did you? Luckily, I went through the coach and had the obnoxious fan removed. I would guess rec ball might be a bit different though. Going through the proper channels will always save you heartache in the end.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue

I have a very difficult time believing anyone who says "never" when it comes to fans. We're human, and we can only tune out so much. Some are better at it than others, but we all have our trigger points. However, once that line is crossed, there's an appropriate way to handle it, and it's rarely ever a direct route.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargee7
By what rule would you have forfeited the game had the spectator refused to leave??? There is none, the coaches/managers ARE not responsible for the conduct of the fans.
NCAA or HS, you're right. Most youth ball, you're right too, and there's usually some sort of field admin to get rid of these fans.

But in every adult ball league I've ever worked, the local rules had the managers of the teams responsible for their fans, with penalties up to and including forfeiture.

I think I've addressed a fan problem exactly twice in my career, not including such adult leagues. In both cases, field admin was nowhere to be seen, and the problems were prolonged, profane, and personal - and got to the point where players were reacting to them.

West Houston Mike