The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 21, 2000, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

At what point does it all end? This was in the local paper:

Worthington police yesterday charged a spectator with menacing, saying he threatened a referee on Saturday at a soccer game.

Patrick R. Bishop, 21, of 4022 Bosswood Dr., Gahanna, is accused of yelling "I have a gun'' during a high-school game.

The incident happened at 6:15 p.m. at a Thomas Worthington High School athletic field while the school's junior-varsity team played the Westerville North team. The score was tied 1-1 with 12 minutes left in the game.

Bishop's brother-in-law was playing for the Westerville North team, Lt. Robert Oppenheimer said.

"This guy had been yelling at the referee all evening long on the calls he was making,'' Oppenheimer said. "He became upset and yelled out, 'I have a gun.' ''

Because Bishop had no weapon, Oppenheimer said, he has been charged with menacing rather than the more-serious charge of aggravated menacing.

Because only a few people in the stands said they heard the threat, he said, Bishop was not charged with inducing panic.

And because Bishop uttered no obscenities, he was not charged with disorderly conduct, Oppenheimer said.

Menacing is a fourth-degree misdemeanor with a maximum jail term of 30 days and a maximum fine of $250, police said.

Bishop is scheduled to appear in Worthington Mayor's Court on Sept. 26.

"You hear across the country where people in the stands get out of hand. The message we want to send is we will not tolerate it here in Worthington,'' Oppenheimer said.

Craig Murph, 49, a Columbus steelworker who has refereed soccer for 15 years, said the spectator made the weapons comment after a call against Westerville North.

"He'd been saying things throughout the game,'' Murph said. "I felt threatened, so I terminated the game.''

Murph said he couldn't tell who made the comment. Sgt. Jim Mosic said the Westerville North athletics director learned the spectator's name later and passed it along to police.

After the game was canceled, Worthington's varsity soccer team played Westerville North in a stadium on the same grounds at 300 W. Dublin-Granville Rd. where the junior-varsity game had been played.

Murph agreed to stay and referee that game after Worthington police told him that they would patrol the game.

Mosic said the spectator's wife called him yesterday.

"I think the fan's emotions got the best of him,'' he said. "He regrets the comment and says it's out of character. He's concerned and apologetic.''

Clair Muscaro, head of the Ohio High School Athletic Association, said his organization will review the matter after it receives the referee's report about the incident. The association is the governing body for interscholastic sports in ninth through 12th grades.

"It's the first time I've ever heard of someone commenting that they had a weapon,'' said Muscaro, who has been the commissioner since 1990.

"We expect our spectators to set an example for good sportsmanship. We expect them to be good role models. Unfortunately, there are some who don't accept that responsibility.''

Muscaro said he expects Westerville North to take some action against the spectator.

"Something should be done. I'm not sure what,'' Murph said.

He said the incident won't keep him from refereeing soccer.

"I hope it's an isolated case,'' Murph said. "I've been refereeing these teams for years, and I've never had any problems with them.''

Worthington and Westerville North school officials could not be reached yesterday for comment about the incident.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2000, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
At what point does it all end? This was in the local paper:

Worthington police yesterday charged a spectator with menacing, saying he threatened a referee on Saturday at a soccer game.

Patrick R. Bishop, 21, of 4022 Bosswood Dr., Gahanna, is accused of yelling "I have a gun'' during a high-school game.

The incident happened at 6:15 p.m. at a Thomas Worthington High School athletic field while the school's junior-varsity team played the Westerville North team. The score was tied 1-1 with 12 minutes left in the game.

Bishop's brother-in-law was playing for the Westerville North team, Lt. Robert Oppenheimer said.

ENGLISH football fans just fight with there hands and might throw a bottle or two. Americans solve their problems with guns. Now i'm being a little unfair i know. We had an incident like this a few years ago, when a fair threatened to kill the ref after the game. When it happened, the officials walked off the court and the police were called, because the threats were heard by everyone ....to jail this fan went. I think that they ended up getting 3-6 months probation. I have heard that in Washington State that if an assault is committed on a minor official, the attack could face a penelty of 2nd degree felony, punishable with 5 years in prison and upto $5000.00 fine )))))))

keep smiling
SH

"This guy had been yelling at the referee all evening long on the calls he was making,'' Oppenheimer said. "He became upset and yelled out, 'I have a gun.' ''

Because Bishop had no weapon, Oppenheimer said, he has been charged with menacing rather than the more-serious charge of aggravated menacing.

Because only a few people in the stands said they heard the threat, he said, Bishop was not charged with inducing panic.

And because Bishop uttered no obscenities, he was not charged with disorderly conduct, Oppenheimer said.

Menacing is a fourth-degree misdemeanor with a maximum jail term of 30 days and a maximum fine of $250, police said.

Bishop is scheduled to appear in Worthington Mayor's Court on Sept. 26.

"You hear across the country where people in the stands get out of hand. The message we want to send is we will not tolerate it here in Worthington,'' Oppenheimer said.

Craig Murph, 49, a Columbus steelworker who has refereed soccer for 15 years, said the spectator made the weapons comment after a call against Westerville North.

"He'd been saying things throughout the game,'' Murph said. "I felt threatened, so I terminated the game.''

Murph said he couldn't tell who made the comment. Sgt. Jim Mosic said the Westerville North athletics director learned the spectator's name later and passed it along to police.

After the game was canceled, Worthington's varsity soccer team played Westerville North in a stadium on the same grounds at 300 W. Dublin-Granville Rd. where the junior-varsity game had been played.

Murph agreed to stay and referee that game after Worthington police told him that they would patrol the game.

Mosic said the spectator's wife called him yesterday.

"I think the fan's emotions got the best of him,'' he said. "He regrets the comment and says it's out of character. He's concerned and apologetic.''

Clair Muscaro, head of the Ohio High School Athletic Association, said his organization will review the matter after it receives the referee's report about the incident. The association is the governing body for interscholastic sports in ninth through 12th grades.

"It's the first time I've ever heard of someone commenting that they had a weapon,'' said Muscaro, who has been the commissioner since 1990.

"We expect our spectators to set an example for good sportsmanship. We expect them to be good role models. Unfortunately, there are some who don't accept that responsibility.''

Muscaro said he expects Westerville North to take some action against the spectator.

"Something should be done. I'm not sure what,'' Murph said.

He said the incident won't keep him from refereeing soccer.

"I hope it's an isolated case,'' Murph said. "I've been refereeing these teams for years, and I've never had any problems with them.''

Worthington and Westerville North school officials could not be reached yesterday for comment about the incident.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2000, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Bad Fans

It just goes to show how stupid some fans came be. It also shows you how innocent they view there own comments. This guy probably thought he was being funny. I hope they throw the book at him!

Here's something that's even worse from today's paper:

Jacksonville, Fla. - A football coach was arrested after being accused of breaking a 10 year-old player's arms. Ronald Gibson, 34, was charged with aggravated child abuse Monday.

The incident happened during a practice at a Boys & Girls Club. Gibson became aggravated when the boy failed to catch a ball, said Sgt. Scott McLeod.

"He picked the child up and literally flung him backwards," McLeod said. "As the child put his arms out to break his fall, he broke two bones in one arm and one bone in the other arm."

Police said they interviewed other children on Gibson's team but found no other abuse. Records show Gibson was picked up in the past for aggravated battery against his wife.

__________________________________________________ __________

What kind of idiot would do such a thing? If this were my kid, I would have everything this guy owned. Prison is too good for people like this. :^(