The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

My First National

Well I had my first national this week. It was the 12 U . I got to meet and umpire with people from upstate NY , Las Vegas, Los Angeles and the state of Washington.. I had a good time talking and hanging out with blues from other parts of the world.

I learned alot. I got to do alot of 3 umpire mechanics. it took me about 2 games as the "rabbit" to get comfortable with that position but once I did it was cool. I felt like the quality of my calls in the 3 umpire mechanics were so much better due to being in better position. i didn't have alot of angle versus distance deals cause you're pretty much always in position. Do have to get better on my decisions around which balls to go out on.....

The Assistaint UIC for this tourney is my HS/ASA assignor and he told me on Sunday he was more than pleased with my showing this last week. So it went pretty well. i will start some seperate threads for stuff that came up so I can get feedback from you guys.......
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
...and the state of Washington...
Do you remember who it was or where he is from?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Sorry don't remember the name. I have a master list of names and addresses around here somewhere, I'll look for it later.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Chess Ref - there is a post on eteamz about the 12U national:

Quote:
I would like to commend the crews at the USA/ASA 12U Girls Fastpitch Nationals in Roseville, CA for their professionalism and talent. It was truly a pleasure watching the coverage and communication between the three-person crews as they worked the games. After about eight years in a SoCal B rec league and two years with travel I have seen a wide variety of capability. These folks were truly the best I have seen in person.

I only had one small problem. At my tender age of 58 and the numerous burritos I have imbibed, describing my stature as petite would not be accurate. Coaches were instructed by umpires to tuck shirts into pants during games and I haven't done that in many years. It wasn't pretty .
Was the shirt tucking requirement an edict from the UIC?

Just curious.....
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

Just curious.....
No edict about tucking for the coaches, actually there weren't very many edicts at all. just the usual keep it on schedule, which i talked about in another thread.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

Just curious.....
To me, this is an umpire looking for trouble. Why in the name of (enter appropriate deity here) would an umpire care if a coach has their shirt tucked in?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
To me, this is an umpire looking for trouble. Why in the name of (enter appropriate deity here) would an umpire care if a coach has their shirt tucked in?
OOO 4.7.B?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
OOO 4.7.B?
Yeah. "Neatly attired" is quite vague and I certainly wouldn't be challenging a coach to do something we cannot require of the players. Not all shirts are manufactured to be tucked in the person's pants.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah. "Neatly attired" is quite vague and I certainly wouldn't be challenging a coach to do something we cannot require of the players. Not all shirts are manufactured to be tucked in the person's pants.

Well, this whole thing has me tuck-ered out, trust me.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Aound here requiring the players to tuck is part of most blues pre-game spiel...I am considered out of the loop on that one. Till it was brought up I have never heard of or seen a coach be required to tuck.......
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Aound here requiring the players to tuck is part of most blues pre-game spiel...I am considered out of the loop on that one. Till it was brought up I have never heard of or seen a coach be required to tuck.......
Speaking ASA,

If anyone makes it an issue, ask for a rules citation. Of course, the uniform should always be worn properly.

For players, loose jerseys should be tucked to avoid issues in the batter's box. However, a few years ago, uniforms started to appear that were manufactured to be worn outside the pants, so wearing these shirts untucked, the player IS wearing the uniform as the manufacturer meant it to be worn, thus it is being worn properly.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking ASA,

If anyone makes it an issue, ask for a rules citation. Of course, the uniform should always be worn properly.

For players, loose jerseys should be tucked to avoid issues in the batter's box. However, a few years ago, uniforms started to appear that were manufactured to be worn outside the pants, so wearing these shirts untucked, the player IS wearing the uniform as the manufacturer meant it to be worn, thus it is being worn properly.
agreed....does anyone know when the whole tuck thing came into play .