The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Funny and weird comments

I had several funny and strange comments from the coaches. Thought you might appreciate them.

One of the better teams had their coach come out in between innings and wanted to let me know that he had some safety concerns. In my head I'm thinking did that sprinkler top come off again. He says if I don't give his pitcher a bigger outside corner she will have to throw the ball over the plate and then the batters will hit it right back at her and maybe hit her in the face. I chuckled quitely and thanked him for pointing that out. I thought this was something I might hear from a JV coach.....

Also had the coach who insisted that 2 trips to the "mound" in the same inning meant they had to change pitchers. I explained the charged conference rule to him, yet he kept insisting on it. It got to the point that I had to tell him to go back to the dugout and coach his team. So he gets there and starts talking about he wants to protest. So I stop the game and say okay. Then one of his parents who was up against the fence starts barking at the coach. the parent basically told him to learn the rules and let the dang girls play. he goes back to dugout and don't hear a peep from him anymore......

There also seemed to be an underlying thing about protests. Like all the coaches got together and came up with "we'll threaten a protest and the blue will back down." I figured that one out pretty quick and as soon as I heard the word protest I stopped the game and was more than willing to get the UIC. It also helped that the UIC was always within 30 seconds of our fields........
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Ya funny how coaches get things in their heads! I had one that made me chuckle. R1 on first hit toward 2nd base ss covering the bag, close play, runner slides into base hands first I call her out. Coach asks for time and we get together,
Coach: Blue you had her out?
Me: Yes I had her left arm past the base not touching it, then the fielder stepped on the base then her right arm grabbed the base, so there is an out.
Coach: You saw all that in a split second?
Me:Yep that is what we got coach
Coach: wow, guess there isn't anything else for me to ask...but I am going to stand here for a minute to make it look like I am really fighting for the team. Cause if I don't the parents will really be on me.
Me:Ok no problem coach.....
Me: Is that long enough?
Coach: Ya that ought to do it, thanks blue.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing!
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ya funny how coaches get things in their heads! I had one that made me chuckle. R1 on first hit toward 2nd base ss covering the bag, close play, runner slides into base hands first I call her out. Coach asks for time and we get together,
Coach: Blue you had her out?
Me: Yes I had her left arm past the base not touching it, then the fielder stepped on the base then her right arm grabbed the base, so there is an out.
Coach: You saw all that in a split second?
Me:Yep that is what we got coach
Coach: wow, guess there isn't anything else for me to ask...but I am going to stand here for a minute to make it look like I am really fighting for the team. Cause if I don't the parents will really be on me.
Me:Ok no problem coach.....
Me: Is that long enough?
Coach: Ya that ought to do it, thanks blue.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing!
I've had similar discussions with coaches... one in mind is a coach who came to me inbetween innings on his way to the 3B coach's box and told me that because his team was behind 7-3, he needed to fire them up to get them to play harder. He told me that the next close bang-bang play I had that went against him, he was going to come out yelling and screaming, and that he wanted me to eject him when that happened. I laughed and told him that if he deserved to leave the game, I'd gladly make it official... but if he really wanted to leave, we could save the dramatics and he could do it now. He laughed and continued on to the 3B box. Nothing happened, and he stayed in the game.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Here's another one...

A buddy of mine is BU....two schools that are hot rivals....Game is at School A, coach of School B is known to be very animated and emotional, big crowd on hand.

Late in the game, A is winning easily, B coach is getting increasingly frustrated, team A is at bat with bases loaded and a 2-2 count on the batter.

Pitch is thrown, batter checks her swing, pitch is ruled a ball. PU asks BU for help on the check swing, BU rules no swing.

Coach B requests time, comes out of dugout to talk to BU:

BU: Do you have a question, coach?

Coach: Not really...boy,my team really sucks today!

BU: OK......

Coach: I just don't know what is wrong with 'em.

BU: Ya, coach....it looks like they are struggling today.

The whole time this conversation is going on, the team A crowd is screaming at the coach to "get off the field", "sit down", "quit whining", etc.

Coach returns to dugout, game resumes. The count on the batter is now 3-2, pitch is delivered, batter smacks it over the fence for a grand slam.

Coach B steps out ofthe dugout and yells at the BU:

"Those four runs are on you!!!"
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
"Those four runs are on you!!!"
My response under my breath: fair enough, as long as the next four rounds are on YOU!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

PERFECT example of the fact that RATS only chat u up to shaft youlater.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
PERFECT example of the fact that RATS only chat u up to shaft youlater.
Well, I wouldn't go broadcasting my enjoyment in frothy, alcoholic beverages while umpiring a school game. I'd probably catch the coach later and tell him that with a wink.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.