The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
More equipment - Gerry Davis

Has anyone else here bought the 'special' GD leg guards? I bought them last spring, and after wearing them almost an entire season, all I have to say is WOW! A GREAT set of lightweight leg guards - they have taken everything that the crappy pitchers and catchers around here can dish out and more. I love the new type hookers too - no more rusty buckles, no more nasty marks on your legs.

The real funny thing is..unconsciously, I have actually sort of adapted the GD stance too! It gets your head just about right on top of HP, and you do not have to be almost scraping the C's butt to do it - very helpful, especially in kids games! But seriously, the darn thing saves MILES on your knees,and you don't have to worry about your back at all...highly recommend you all give it a try!
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 11:26am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
The real funny thing is..unconsciously, I have actually sort of adapted the GD stance too! It gets your head just about right on top of HP, and you do not have to be almost scraping the C's butt to do it - very helpful, especially in kids games! But seriously, the darn thing saves MILES on your knees,and you don't have to worry about your back at all...highly recommend you all give it a try!
How so?
Where are you standing?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

If you're talking about the Davis-Wilson leg guards (with DAVIS written down the front), then yes, I've used them. No complaints, and they certainly took their share of pitches this weekend (more pitches than usual to the guards this weekend, don't know why)
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a used pair on Ebay for $25 in the off-season. I have used them all yesr, and I love 'em. I also use the GD stance but set my head at the top of the zone. I do agree that the GD stance locks you in and helps see the pitch with a still set of eyes all the way into the mitt.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Who can, in a nut shell, explain the GD Stance. Or is there somewhere that details it?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 11:12pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalU
Who can, in a nut shell, explain the GD Stance. Or is there somewhere that details it?
http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...vis+Part+I.pdf

http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...is+Part+II.pdf
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have been taught "the slot" and have used it for all of my games, but last year I had a fellow umpire suggest this mechanic. I tried it for a game and I did feel some discomfort in my neck, which was different than the usual lower back discomfort. The problem was, my fellow umpire only suggested I rest my hands on my thighs (to get a better view of the strike zone and to rest the lower back); the sitting and the increased distance between F2 and PU was not even mentioned. Now that I have all the pieces of the puzzle I will try this mechanic again and see if it is a viable substitute for the slot.

This mechanic may not be best for all batters, but may be better suited for games in which an average height umpire (under 6') is calling 10U and 12U games. This mechanic would alleviate the wide scissor/hee-to-toe stance needed for the younger age groups. I think I would still prefer the slot for 16U and 18U (since the catchers seem to move more and may obscure a portion of the strike zone), but that wouldn't be a steadfast rule.

I would also ask my UIC which mechanic he would want me to use, if this was a National Tournament.

Thanks for the links.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 03:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
I think I would still prefer the slot for 16U and 18U (since the catchers seem to move more and may obscure a portion of the strike zone), but that wouldn't be a steadfast rule.
Moving catchers ? -> I'm farther away and outa the way
Obscured strike zone ? -> It didn't move [not even a little], just the catcher moved.