The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Only in England (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/35881-only-england.html)

ukumpire Fri Jun 22, 2007 02:09pm

Only in England

ASA or ISF I don't really care for this one
Bottom 6; 2-1; R2; 2 Out; Home Team at Bat; NO Substitutes left on Line Up Card;
Batter hits Home Run: R2 comes Home; BR rounds 2nd, trips & breaks his leg:
Not sure what you call the level of play 'Over the Pond' but this is what we call Comp A (Top level) Not that it should matter!
So the situation is what do you do? Options are several, and I shall in a few days say what was given (and yes it was odd but I believe True)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 22, 2007 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukumpire
ASA or ISF I don't really care for this one
Bottom 6; 2-1; R2; 2 Out; Home Team at Bat; NO Substitutes left on Line Up Card;
Batter hits Home Run: R2 comes Home; BR rounds 2nd, trips & breaks his leg:
Not sure what you call the level of play 'Over the Pond' but this is what we call Comp A (Top level) Not that it should matter!
So the situation is what do you do? Options are several, and I shall in a few days say what was given (and yes it was odd but I believe True)

Speaking ASA.

Dead ball, call for medical attention, place the sub on 2B or, if the umpire judges the injured runner would have advanced farther safely, award the sub that base. Sub must touch any bases not touched by the injured runner.

ukumpire Fri Jun 22, 2007 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA.

Dead ball, call for medical attention, place the sub on 2B or, if the umpire judges the injured runner would have advanced farther safely, award the sub that base. Sub must touch any bases not touched by the injured runner.

Sorry but the team had NO Subs left as stated :confused:

debeau Fri Jun 22, 2007 03:31pm

Lets hope there was some blood otherwise forfeit game .

celebur Fri Jun 22, 2007 04:40pm

Quote:

Quote:

And batter would definitely have advanced further. . .all the way to home! ;)

Keep R2 on the field, attend to the injured runner, then have R2 retrace his steps and drag the injured runner to 3B then home. Game over. :D

NCASAUmp Fri Jun 22, 2007 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by debeau
Lets hope there was some blood otherwise forfeit game .

Yikes! Blood? Man, you're sick! ;)

Forfeit the game? On what grounds? Because a player broke his leg?

blueskysblue Fri Jun 22, 2007 05:16pm

If the offensive team has players on the bench that are not eligible to enter the game under normal circumstances: already sub'd out and cannot re-enter, or sub'd out, re-entered, and sub'd out a second time (depends on rule set), have the defensive coach chose which player will re-enter for the injured player, and award bases umpire believes were earned.

If the game continues, the offensive team plays "short-handed", per rule set.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 22, 2007 05:19pm

Quote:

Doh! Let's try again.

Dead ball, call for medical attention. REQUEST a sub**. If told none is available, rule the player out, R2's run counts.

Team is now playing shorthanded.

** Please note: Not having a substitute listed on a line-up card does not necessarily mean there are no substitutes available. If a player is a legally rostered player, s/he is not excluded from playing simply because there name was not included on the line up card.

wadeintothem Fri Jun 22, 2007 09:28pm

Quote:

Doh! Let's try again.

Dead ball, call for medical attention. REQUEST a sub**. If told none is available, rule the player out, R2's run counts.

Team is now playing shorthanded.

** Please note: Not having a substitute listed on a line-up card does not necessarily mean there are no substitutes available. If a player is a legally rostered player, s/he is not excluded from playing simply because there name was not included on the line up card.

Never thought of this scenario.. but sounds good to me. I'm curious as to what the "many options" are that the OP mentioned because I dont see too many given the scenario restrictions considering the pretty clear sub rules.

debeau Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:04pm

Why would the player be out .
NO SUBS LEFT presume none available ie cant be entered .
Cant play shorthanded ISF rule set

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 23, 2007 06:15am

Quote:

Why would the player be out .
NO SUBS LEFT presume none available ie cant be entered .
Cant play shorthanded ISF rule set

Yes, the team can play shorthanded, but that doesn't score the run.

Because if there is no sub, the running assignment cannot be completed. By rule, to score a run, a player must touch all the bases even in the case of an injured player.

No sympathy here. This is a case of the team not having enough players or the coach not managing the line-up properly.

wadeintothem Sat Jun 23, 2007 06:30am

Quote:

Yes, the team can play shorthanded, but that doesn't score the run.

Because if there is no sub, the running assignment cannot be completed. By rule, to score a run, a player must touch all the bases even in the case of an injured player.

No sympathy here. This is a case of the team not having enough players or the coach not managing the line-up properly.

.. and a stupid runner..

debeau Sat Jun 23, 2007 04:35pm

OK
ISF rule set .
runner scores
Dead ball immediatly you think injury is bad enough .
Give injured player the base (not bases ) they would have got if they had not been injured .
Substitution then must run all awarded bases .
If there are no subs , then a forfeit (no shorthanded play in ISF)
Personally I would be looking for blood , may even tell coach to scratch the player so we can use a replacement player who can be a previous sub .
NOTE This is all ISF

celebur Mon Jun 25, 2007 05:02pm

Quote:

Dead ball immediatly you think injury is bad enough .

Wasn't the ball already dead as soon as it left the playing field?

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 25, 2007 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by celebur
Wasn't the ball already dead as soon as it left the playing field?

Assuming it left the field of play. OP doesn't really say, though I guess you could presume it did.