The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Players are just dumb!

At least some of them are! I had a LL game tonight - Big League Girls - and one team had a girl that started this past season on a DII team here in WV. Not a bad player and a pretty good kid. In the second game, I'm the BU and she smacked a double and the throw went into third. She was off second and the fielder ran her back to the bag. The cat-and-mouse game then started as the younger fielder would start to walk away with the ball in her glove the runner would start for third only to be driven back to second. After the third time I was getting ready to just kill the play and end the goofy play when the fielder just tossed the ball back to the pitcher who was in the circle. The runner started retreating back to the bag with the pitcher just watching - not even thinking about making a play - and the runner stops and stares. I bang her out for being off base with the ball in the circle and this player who played college ball this year looked at me like I was the most stupid person on the planet! After the game, I talked to her about it and she doesn't see what she did wrong - even after I and her coach explained the rule. Sheeeeeeesh - I'll see her a few times next season in college and I'll be watching . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
. . . when the fielder just tossed the ball back to the pitcher who was in the circle. The runner started retreating back to the bag with the pitcher just watching - not even thinking about making a play - and the runner stops and stares. I bang her out for being off base with the ball in the circle . . .
IF - runner was retreating when the ball went into the circle and the LBR came into effect, then she is allowed one stop. Bad call!

IF - runner was stopped when ball went into the circle and the LBR came into effect, then on the second stop she is called out. Good call!

From your OP I cannot tell which scenareo is correct, so we don't know if the player or the umpire gets the "dumb" adjective. (Hopefully it is the player. )

WMB
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
the runner stops and stares.
I think this is where Mountaineer got the out. The stop wasn't the infraction, the extended stop without immediately advancing or retreating was the problem.

Just a guess.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Hopefully she gets squared away before next years Jr City College World Series.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Yeah...it was probably that "immediate" thing.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

If the sequence in the OP is correct (ball back to pitcher then runner begins back toward base) that would be a second stop.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'd call her out for staring. There is no staring in softball.

(Just kidding - don't want anyone blowing a gasket.)
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I'd call her out for staring. There is no staring in softball.

(Just kidding - don't want anyone blowing a gasket.)
imagining this scenario, it wouldnt take much for me to ring her up. If I have time enough to think "hey shes staring at the pitcher" .. the out hand is going.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I bang her out for being off base with the ball in the circle and this player who played college ball this year looked at me like I was the most stupid person on the planet! After the game, I talked to her about it and she doesn't see what she did wrong - even after I and her coach explained the rule. Sheeeeeeesh - I'll see her a few times next season in college and I'll be watching . . .
Why would you put yourself in that type of position? Maybe it's just me, but this does not seem to be the ideal time for a rules clinic with a coach and player.

When the game is over you should be heading off the field with your partner.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
IF - runner was retreating when the ball went into the circle and the LBR came into effect, then she is allowed one stop. Bad call!
I know the BR is allowed to round first and then make one stop. Are runners who are not the BR allowed the "one stop"?

(The original play noted LL rules. How about ASA and FED?)