The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

How would you call these two plays?

I realize that I have been calling the following plays differently. Would you call the batter out on either or both of these plays?

1. Right-handed batter bunts the ball in front of the plate. With her first step toward 1B, she unintentionally kicks the ball. Her other foot is still in the box.

2. Right-handed batter bunts. She has one foot in fair territory and the other still in the box when the ball bounces up and hits her in the chest in fair territory.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I realize that I have been calling the following plays differently. Would you call the batter out on either or both of these plays?

1. Right-handed batter bunts the ball in front of the plate. With her first step toward 1B, she unintentionally kicks the ball. Her other foot is still in the box.

2. Right-handed batter bunts. She has one foot in fair territory and the other still in the box when the ball bounces up and hits her in the chest in fair territory.
In ASA, no. A batted ball that makes contact with a batter while they are still in the box (and one foot counts) results in a foul ball. The R/S on this one says (paraphrasing), "if it doubt on whether or not they're still in the box, call it foul."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
In ASA, no. A batted ball that makes contact with a batter while they are still in the box (and one foot counts) results in a foul ball. The R/S on this one says (paraphrasing), "if it doubt on whether or not they're still in the box, call it foul."
Even if the ball is in fair territory, and hits the batter's part of the body in fair territory?

Bob
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
Even if the ball is in fair territory, and hits the batter's part of the body in fair territory?

Bob
yes - lengthened
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Bob
In fair territory, foul territory, uncharted territory, even the Yukon Territory... If they're in the box and it hits the batter, it's a foul ball.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In #1, OUT. The player contacted the ball.

In #2, OUT. Assuming that the ball contacts the batter-runner outside the box, the player has a responsibility not to get hit by the batted ball. If the ball & contact is within the box, I've got a FOUL.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
In #1, OUT. The player contacted the ball.

In #2, OUT. Assuming that the ball contacts the batter-runner outside the box, the player has a responsibility not to get hit by the batted ball. If the ball & contact is within the box, I've got a FOUL.
Steve, what rule book are you going by? In ASA, this is not the case. Not sure what other rule books say...

Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Steve, what rule book are you going by? In ASA, this is not the case. Not sure what other rule books say...
I think you'd better go back and re-read what happened, where it happened, and what the books say.
In play 1, the ball did not hit or contact the runner, the runner kicked the ball and the ball is out of the box.
For play 2, look at what I said earlier.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I should have specified ASA.

From the definition of foul ball: A batted ball that touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand(s) a second time while the batter is in the batter's box.

8-2-F-4 Batter-runner is out when the batter-runner interferes with [sic] by making contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base.

So I guess it hinges on how "in the batter's box" is defined.

I have been calling play #1 an out and play #2 a foul. It seemed to me that running into the ball in fair territory was an out, but "ball hits batter" while she still has a foot in the box was a foul. Now it may be that in some of these play #2 cases the ball was actually in the box while the BR's foot was out of the box, or it was close enough that a foul call was what everybody expected. But I have to admit to myself that I have been inconsistent, since in theory play 1 and play 2 are two versions of the same thing.

A strict reading of the book would indicate that in both cases, the BR is out. In play number 2, however, the benefit any doubt would go to the batter. This play is so common in FP; they bunt and then run into the ball, with the exact placement of their feet not quite clear. I guess play #2 is a default foul unless you're certain.

I certainly appreciate the input.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In fair territory, foul territory, uncharted territory, even the Yukon Territory... If they're in the box and it hits the batter, it's a foul ball.
NO.

Rule 1, Fair Ball

C ....when over fair territory, toches the person, attached equipment, or clothing of a player or an umpire.

D....while over fair territory a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to filed a batted ball.

Just as a fielder can not make a foul ball fair by touching it over foul ground, a batter/runner cannot make a fair ball foul if any part of his body, clothing, or bat, etc, touches the ball in fair territory just because part of his body is in the batters box.

Fair or foul is determined by the position of the ball, nothing else.

Having a foot in the batter's box is irrelevant.

In the OP, the proper call is out in both scenarios.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I should have specified ASA.

From the definition of foul ball: A batted ball that touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand(s) a second time while the batter is in the batter's box.

8-2-F-4 Batter-runner is out when the batter-runner interferes with [sic] by making contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base.

So I guess it hinges on how "in the batter's box" is defined.

I have been calling play #1 an out and play #2 a foul. It seemed to me that running into the ball in fair territory was an out, but "ball hits batter" while she still has a foot in the box was a foul. Now it may be that in some of these play #2 cases the ball was actually in the box while the BR's foot was out of the box, or it was close enough that a foul call was what everybody expected. But I have to admit to myself that I have been inconsistent, since in theory play 1 and play 2 are two versions of the same thing.

A strict reading of the book would indicate that in both cases, the BR is out. In play number 2, however, the benefit any doubt would go to the batter. This play is so common in FP; they bunt and then run into the ball, with the exact placement of their feet not quite clear. I guess play #2 is a default foul unless you're certain.

I certainly appreciate the input.
GREYMULE
A strict reading of the book would indicate that in both cases, the BR is out.

Strict? Rule One C and D leave no room for an interpretation.

The batter's box offers no batter protection from being called out for touching a ball in fair territory.

In play number 2, however, the benefit any doubt would go to the batter. This play is so common in FP; they bunt and then run into the ball, with the exact placement of their feet not quite clear. I guess play #2 is a default foul unless you're certain.

Either the ball is fair or foul. What benefit of doubt is there? The decision has nothing to do with the batter's feet,,,,,it has all to do with the position of the ball. If the only portion of the batter in fair territory was the tip of his cap and a fair ball hits it, the batter is out.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano

Either the ball is fair or foul. What benefit of doubt is there? The decision has nothing to do with the batter's feet,,,,,it has all to do with the position of the ball. If the only portion of the batter in fair territory was the tip of his cap and a fair ball hits it, the batter is out.
Maybe you should check out Page 222 of the Umpire's Manual.

Also, Caseplay 7.4-9 and Rule 7.4.H
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Maybe you should check out Page 222 of the Umpire's Manual.

Also, Caseplay 7.4-9 and Rule 7.4.H
A batter hit by a fair ball cannot be in the batter's box.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

True—because even if the ball is over fair territory when it contacts the batter, if the batter is in the box, it's a foul ball.

I've seen that one countless times.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
What does that have to do with the citations? Nothing. And, CP 7.4-9 with R 7.4.H would contradict your contention that the feet have nothing to do with it.

Edited to withdraw statement.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 10:15pm.