The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Plays at 1st Base

Hi Guys:

As an umpire of 15 years, I feel I am a strong official interms of mechanics, judgement, etc., with a very good plate game. I do not feel my base game is as good, and so I'm looking for some advice regarding taking plays at 1st base.

Assume no runners and a ground ball to the infield. As the BU sets up at an ideal 90-degree angle to the throw, and the throw is coming across the infield, tell me as exactly as you can, what you do next...

I ask this VERY basic question because I think I am victim to calling runners out at 1st (who may be safe by a quarter-step).

I need help!
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I get my 90, as you stated, to the throw. Then I set myself, track the ball across the infield to F3's glove, listening for the slap of the glove and the thump of the foot on the base. I am far enough back where I can see if F3 pulls her foot or not.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The idea is not necessarily a "90-degree angle to the throw", but an angle and distance to see all - the ball, runner, base, receiving fielder. You might be getting too close to the play, which I used to do until I forced myself to concentrate on a wider view. Once the ball is in flight, the thrower is no concern and before that there can be no out. The easiest to explain is a throw coming from 3rd or pitcher. Face the base path just short of the base, turning your head to watch the throw, then seeing it into the glove and the BR feet at the same time.
Yes, a lot of these are close, but planned focus is the key.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanStanza
Assume no runners and a ground ball to the infield. As the BU sets up at an ideal 90-degree angle to the throw, and the throw is coming across the infield, tell me as exactly as you can, what you do next...
Forget the 90 deg line. That is old school. I think that umpires focus too much on getting that angle, and then they drift too far in; thus being too close to the play.

Starting at appx 18', pivot and take two steps into the field (roughly perpendicular to the base line). This guarantees that you stop appx 18' from the base; a proper distance to give you a full view of the play.

This angle is much more shallow then before, but you still have a good view of the base and runner's foot. The advantage is that when you anticipate a tag play or big stretch by F3, you only need one or two steps back and you are looking right down the line. This gives you a great view of a swipe tag or pulled foot.

By only taking a couple steps, you should be stationary well before the throw. Follow the throw all the way. An instant before the ball hits the glove, allow your eyes to continue down to the bag. You should be able to hear or sense the catch and see the bag at the same time.

WMB
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Forget the 90 deg line. That is old school. I think that umpires focus too much on getting that angle, and then they drift too far in; thus being too close to the play.

Starting at appx 18', pivot and take two steps into the field (roughly perpendicular to the base line). This guarantees that you stop appx 18' from the base; a proper distance to give you a full view of the play.

This angle is much more shallow then before, but you still have a good view of the base and runner's foot. The advantage is that when you anticipate a tag play or big stretch by F3, you only need one or two steps back and you are looking right down the line. This gives you a great view of a swipe tag or pulled foot.

By only taking a couple steps, you should be stationary well before the throw. Follow the throw all the way. An instant before the ball hits the glove, allow your eyes to continue down to the bag. You should be able to hear or sense the catch and see the bag at the same time.

WMB
On the other hand, if you hustle, you can still get the 90, still be 16-18' away, and get yet a better view of all the elements of the play. JMO.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue

WMB
Well said, WMB. That's what I do when a ground ball is hit to the left side of the field but when grounded between 1st and 2nd base I move a couple of steps to the foul side of 1st base line. ..Al
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

The thing I notice the most now as an observer

Ths thing I notice the most, now as a fan/parent, and a former umpire in Men's A,B and C ball is that Umpires who tend to miss a lot calls at first seem to be anticipating the call, or are too quick to make a call. I mean if there is no one on base and it's a bang-bang play at the base why do so many umpires want to make a big jump and scream call the exact moment the ball is caught. Even if there are other runners, take a second to process the play then make a call. One second or two wont do anything to the play on the field. Also, there is nothing more annoying than an umpire who likes to hear his own show when making a call, especially on a close play. We had an umpire the other day whose safe yell almost sounded the same as an out call. Grrrrrr.

You guys can talk all day about mathematics of making a call, I don't think it's missing seeing the call, I think they are putting too much pressure on themselves to make a quick call.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

As a wise man once said, "Anticipate the play, not the call".
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

WestMichBlue, MarkPSkins, and Al are all on the right track, but let me explain what mechanics we're teaching at the high school level.

WestMichBlue talks about taking two steps into fair territory to make the call. We are advocating using the method known as the OSF method. That is, we want the umpire who starts in 'A' to move into a position that is One Step Fair. This is the method being adopted by many of the Major League umpires.

I like to start 25 feet behind the bag. Then when I take my walking steps (2) during the delivery, I can move inside with two normal strides and be 20 feet from 1st and just inside the baseline. I recommend at least an 18-foot distance but 20 feet is even better. With the OSF method, the BU should never have to go for help with a pulled foot or a swipe tag.

Watch the fielder throw the ball and as the ball leaves the fielder's hand (and you're certain the ball's not heading directly at you), turn your focus to the front edge (side closest to Home) of 1st base. Now you're concentrating on the bag and can see the runner in your field of vision. Listen for the ball hitting the mitt while you're watching the bag/feet.

As MarkPSkins says, don't call the play too soon. I never make a call until the runner has passed the base, even if she is out by 30 feet. Slow your call down by taking a picture (snap shot) of the play, rewinding the film, then playing it back. Seasoned and polished umpires use the same rhythm for most all called. Actually, the closer the play, the quicker the call should be. But always give the fans the chance to make the call first in their heads. "Quick" umpires do a disservice to the game by not allowing the spectators to compare their judgment with the umpires because of the fast calls being made. That tends to give the impression that the umpire's mind was made up before the play actually happened.

Once you make the call, remain in your place for a couple of seconds staring at the bag (unless a wild throw forces you to move for a subsequent play). I see too many novice umpires immediately turn their backs to the play or look down at their indicators after a close call. That's basically telling everyone that they're not sure of the call.

Finally, in regards to Al moving into foul territory on balls hit between the 1st and 2nd basemen, I like to stay in the OSF position unless the ball is fielded so close to me that I would be interfering with the play if I did not move. If necessary, I would stay on the foul side as adjust my position accordingly, remaining at least 20 feet from the base.

As a wiser man said, "It's not about proximity; it's all about angles".