The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
WOW, we all missed that it says BU, not PU. All of us assuming PU adds further credence to Mike's "don't respond".
I've been reading this as NC_Blue being the PU. Where are you getting BU from?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
You don't respond. How the hell do you know what the PU saw?
Like this:

OP: Self, what did you see?"
OP: Well, I saw that it was high.
OP: Ok, then we'll tell him it was high.

OP does mention that he was the PU.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
WOW, we all missed that it says BU, not PU. All of us assuming PU adds further credence to Mike's "don't respond".
No, it doesn't. It quite clearly says that he was PU, and it's not been edited.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't respond. How the hell do you know what the PU saw?

And if it was "high", why wasn't it called illegal?

I didn't have a problem with him asking where the pitch was. I had a problem with his subsequent remark.

What was the proper response to a pitch that cleared (i.e. was above) the back shoulder?

I think it reads clearly that I was PU.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Blue
I called time because I had NO IDEA what he was going to say (actually I already had my hand up.....waiting for the next batter to get set in the box).

I didn't have a problem with him asking where the pitch was. I had a problem with his subsequent remark.

What was the proper response to a pitch that cleared (i.e. was above) the back shoulder?

I think it reads clearly that I was PU.
"A ball." That's all a non-pitcher/catcher/captain/coach needs to know.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
No, it doesn't. It quite clearly says that he was PU, and it's not been edited.
Well, I can't say that Mike missed one, even if its says "asks me (PU)"
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"A ball." That's all a non-pitcher/catcher/captain/coach needs to know.
Sorry....but that's about as bad as what I DID say if you asked me. I've never had a problem telling someone where a pitch I called a ball was.....if asked in a non-confrontational way.

The initial question was asked in a non-confrontational manner. the subsequent COMMENT was the one I had issue with.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Blue
Sorry....but that's about as bad as what I DID say if you asked me. I've never had a problem telling someone where a pitch I called a ball was.....if asked in a non-confrontational way.

The initial question was asked in a non-confrontational manner. the subsequent COMMENT was the one I had issue with.
I might throw the word "sir" in front of it, but if that's their question, you know what they're getting at before you even answer. They're going to question your judgment on a called ball.

"Sir, that was a ball." Fairly polite, it tells him all he *needs* to know. Otherwise, I'm going to hear it all game and every game after that one. If the shortstop wants to get in a huff over that, then he can go talk to his coach, and his coach can come out to me to ask me why I didn't answer the question. I'd should only deal with one person (the coach or captain) on something like this, not 10 + 1 coach. On second thought, I shouldn't be dealing with this at all. It's a judgment call. Period.

Edited to add: If the player gets in a huff over it, I've pulled players or coaches aside between innings to explain to them why I answered the way I do: I need to keep this game going, and I can't stop to answer everyone's questions. Nothing personal, I wasn't trying to ignore them (yes, I was), but that's all they needed to know at that time.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon May 21, 2007 at 01:45pm.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I played the game at a pretty competitive level (ASA Nat. Championship...former collegiate baseball player).....and a lot of the guys I umpire around know me as a former player ALSO. In all honesty.....I don't make a habit of discussing balls and strikes with players.....but if a player looks my way and asks....I'll give him the courtesy of answering him UNTIL he/they gives me a reason to NOT be accomodating.

I didn't know this guy.....and his question "seemed" sincere.

Believe me....I have NO PROBLEMS nipping a ball/strike discussion in the bud.....but I got a little blindsided. I wish I hadn't said what I did.....but Ill probably do it again, sometime. Respect works both ways.

I appreciate the discussion.