The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanic when calling obstruction

NFHS tournament play, R1 on second, R2 at first. B3 hits a single to left. R1 rounds third, heads for home, great throw from F7 to F2. Now we have a rundown. Back and forth two times as B1 retreats to 3B (the second time), she runs into F5 while F2 still has the ball, I signal obstruction. The rundown continues back to home and then back to 3B where she is finally tagged out. I call "OUT!" as I take a breath to recoup and to deliver the result of the obstruction. B1 enters her 3rd base dugout. "I have obstruction the runner is awarded home!" "Which runner?" "The runner who was put out." She comes out of the dugout runs over to and steps on home plate. The defense coach asks what has just happened. I explained. He was not happy but accepted the call and ruling on the field. We reset and get ready to start again, some dad in the stands convinces him to protest.

He protests that a runner who has left live ball territory was allowed to re-enter and score. The protest committee sighted rule ten. Allowing an umpire to correct a situation where a player was put in jeopardy by the actions of an umpire. Call on the field stood. Coach accepted the ruling and we continued the game. To this coaches credit, he acted at all times in a completely professional manner and treated me and the protest committee with respect -- I salute you sir.

My question. How do you handle an obstruction situation when the defense puts out the obstructed runner? Do you cal the out and the make the adjustment, or do you no call the out and wait for the play to end and then call the adjustment? remember there were other runners on base and they were advancing during the run down. Also, since the obstruction occurred with the runner returning towards third, do you place that runner on third and 'force' the other runners to retreat a base?

Be kind
Bugg
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I holler obstruction instead of out. if the other ump hollers out i holler louder... lol,
But i gotta ask... the obstruction only protected her back to third (the first time).... she then chose to run back to home then back to third a second time... isnt the protection gone? although (a runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed)

Last edited by CajunNewBlue; Fri May 18, 2007 at 01:00pm.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
He protests that a runner who has left live ball territory was allowed to re-enter and score.
The protest committee should have stopped it right there. Coach - show me a rule that states a runner who has left live ball territory cannot be allowed to reenter when directed to do so by an umpire. Rule does not exist - end of protest.

No need for rule 10 either. No "umpire error" to correct.

PS - Instead of OUT!, call "TIME!" and make your award - it's less confusing.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Once OBS is called, I have my left arm straight out and let the play continue, and runners run. When your 'B2' runner is tagged, I would put both hands straight up, call "Dead ball" then probably award B2 3B on the OBS. (I don't know if I can award home based on your description). I do not call B2 out, since they cannot be put out. Once the tag is made, it becomes a dead ball, which is what I call.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
My question. How do you handle an obstruction situation when the defense puts out the obstructed runner? Do you cal the out and the make the adjustment, or do you no call the out and wait for the play to end and then call the adjustment? remember there were other runners on base and they were advancing during the run down. Also, since the obstruction occurred with the runner returning towards third, do you place that runner on third and 'force' the other runners to retreat a base?

Be kind
Bugg
You merely call DEAD BALL if the obstructed runner it put out while she is still protected. You then place the runners according to your award of the base to the obstructed runner.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Once OBS is called, I have my left arm straight out and let the play continue, and runners run. When your 'B2' runner is tagged, I would put both hands straight up, call "Dead ball" then probably award B2 3B on the OBS. (I don't know if I can award home based on your description). I do not call B2 out, since they cannot be put out. Once the tag is made, it becomes a dead ball, which is what I call.
Agree, if you know the OBS was called, don't call the out. If another ump called the OBS and you don't know that, you will end up calling the out; then your partner should do as above.

note: Once the ball is dead, there can be no other outs, other runners can not advance.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
note: Once the ball is dead, there can be no other outs, other runners can not advance.
As a reminder (experienced mistake ), when you signal/call 'Dead Ball', look where the other runners are and make sure they are placed on the bases last legally touched.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
I holler obstruction instead of out. if the other ump hollers out i holler louder... lol,
But i gotta ask... the obstruction only protected her back to third (the first time).... she then chose to run back to home then back to third a second time... isnt the protection gone? although (a runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed)
No. Your last comment answers the previous question.

When an obstructed runner is put out, the appropriate call is "Dead ball". The priority is to kill the ball, check other runners, announce and effect ruling. Almost forgot the next step, turn around and discuss call with DC
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Just restating for emphasis, even though OP has already been correctly answered. When a runner who has been obstructed is put out between the two bases where the obstruction occurred, the correct action by the umpire would be to call a dead ball, inform all of the OBS, and award the runner the base you think that she would have attained had the OBS not occurred.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Yeah, I'm wondering why she was awarded home myself . . . if she was tagged out going back to 3rd that's where the award should be.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.