The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanic when calling obstruction

NFHS tournament play, R1 on second, R2 at first. B3 hits a single to left. R1 rounds third, heads for home, great throw from F7 to F2. Now we have a rundown. Back and forth two times as B1 retreats to 3B (the second time), she runs into F5 while F2 still has the ball, I signal obstruction. The rundown continues back to home and then back to 3B where she is finally tagged out. I call "OUT!" as I take a breath to recoup and to deliver the result of the obstruction. B1 enters her 3rd base dugout. "I have obstruction the runner is awarded home!" "Which runner?" "The runner who was put out." She comes out of the dugout runs over to and steps on home plate. The defense coach asks what has just happened. I explained. He was not happy but accepted the call and ruling on the field. We reset and get ready to start again, some dad in the stands convinces him to protest.

He protests that a runner who has left live ball territory was allowed to re-enter and score. The protest committee sighted rule ten. Allowing an umpire to correct a situation where a player was put in jeopardy by the actions of an umpire. Call on the field stood. Coach accepted the ruling and we continued the game. To this coaches credit, he acted at all times in a completely professional manner and treated me and the protest committee with respect -- I salute you sir.

My question. How do you handle an obstruction situation when the defense puts out the obstructed runner? Do you cal the out and the make the adjustment, or do you no call the out and wait for the play to end and then call the adjustment? remember there were other runners on base and they were advancing during the run down. Also, since the obstruction occurred with the runner returning towards third, do you place that runner on third and 'force' the other runners to retreat a base?

Be kind
Bugg