The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Sure is quiet out there!

Got my new FED books Wednesday night at the local chapter meeting. I look forward to the new rule books like an avid reader awaits a new release from a favorite author. Unfortunately, work has been so busy that I haven't had time to crack them open.

TASO is requiring us (in Texas) to wear a US flag on our left sleeve this year. (Sorry Mike, I know how you feel about this issue.) At least it's on the sleeve and not on our hats.

I did find time to submit my paperwork for the ASA Advanced school in Killeen, TX scheduled for June. Is anyone out there planning on attending?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Are you serious??? I haven't heard this yet. I hate sewing stuff on that micro-mesh too. I really wish the folks would get off their you-know-what and quit making ridiculous knee jerk decisions. Heck, they can't even get that darned website finished that was supposed to be complete two months ago. Makes me wonder why TASO didn't make the basketball officials do the same thing. I feel me a letter writing campaign coming on!!!

Scott
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Requiring people to wear a flag on their clothes is patriotic? What happened to freedom of choice?

Bob
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: Sure is quiet out there!

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Got my new FED books Wednesday night at the local chapter meeting. I look forward to the new rule books like an avid reader awaits a new release from a favorite author. Unfortunately, work has been so busy that I haven't had time to crack them open.

TASO is requiring us (in Texas) to wear a US flag on our left sleeve this year. (Sorry Mike, I know how you feel about this issue.) At least it's on the sleeve and not on our hats.

I did find time to submit my paperwork for the ASA Advanced school in Killeen, TX scheduled for June. Is anyone out there planning on attending?
nxtblue

Where was this info from? Did not notice it changing
in any of the new books. Could have missed it tho.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Glen,

Last Wednesday night at our local Dallas chapter meeting, they handed out the flags and a letter from TASO telling us how to properly apply the flag. It's a TASO "request" not a FED requirement. If you like, I could forward a copy of the letter.

Gary
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Glen,

Last Wednesday night at our local Dallas chapter meeting, they handed out the flags and a letter from TASO telling us how to properly apply the flag. It's a TASO "request" not a FED requirement. If you like, I could forward a copy of the letter.

Gary
Gary,

Please forward a copy of the letter. Went to taso.org.,
but they still updating. [[email protected]]

Thanks glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Glen:

That website "update" was supposed to be finished about two months ago. Guess they were too busy making "important" decisions like where to place the flag to get it done.

Scott
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
id like to see a copy of that letter

foward to [email protected]
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen a copy of it, but two weeks ago our chapter president confirmed what Gary was saying. In fact, they were handing out the flags at the meeting, one per official. We were told where to purchase more if we had other shirts. Purchase??? I have to purchase something that I didn't want in the first place?! How patriotic is that?

Scott
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

It's patriotic in the sense that it is "good for the economy". By the way, that flag wasn't easy to iron on.

I ironed it on then tacked the corners with clear thread. Is that considered desecrating the flag? Oh, wait, maybe that happened when it tried to iron it on!!

I think I know how Mike would feel about it.

I'll forward you a copy of the letter.

Gary
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

I went to email you a copy of the TASO letter, but there was not an email address listed for you. Send me your email address and I'll forward it to you.

Gary

ALSO, February 14, 15,& 16 there is a big NFHS tournament in McKinney. Let me know if you want me to try to get you in to call some games. There is a JV tourney the following week.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Gary. Sure. I would like to get some games in at the McKinney tournament. I didn't call there last year because of a personal scheduling conflict, but I was there the year before when we were all still wearing navy shirts instead of the powder blue. It would be great to get a chance to meet you as well. I will send you my email address right now. I guess I need to rectify that in my profile.

Scott
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Scott,

It's patriotic in the sense that it is "good for the economy". By the way, that flag wasn't easy to iron on.

I ironed it on then tacked the corners with clear thread. Is that considered desecrating the flag? Oh, wait, maybe that happened when it tried to iron it on!!

I think I know how Mike would feel about it.

I'll forward you a copy of the letter.

Gary
There was a good line on JAG this past Tuesday that I have been using since September.

The admiral told a teenager that there was more to being patriotic than flying a few flags.

I believe this is a statement of fact.

Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mike Rowe
DASA DUIC
"soon" to be ex-NASO Member

What is this???? Am I to assume that this is in response to their decision that softball is not a major sport?
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Mike Rowe
DASA DUIC
"soon" to be ex-NASO Member

What is this???? Am I to assume that this is in response to their decision that softball is not a major sport?
I believe in sports organizations and publications which handle sports. SI & TSN barely recognize anything that is not associated with the Top 25 of Div I & Div I-A sports. Nothing else exists. I do not support them. ESPN's Sports Center does not always provide complete information, but often supplies only Top 25 or Div I-A reports. They are not on my "must see" TV list.

I have also communicated with NASO in the manner in which they initiate resubscription notices. While is may be a neat marketing scheme, I consider it an insult and have told them so. They don't care, period. NASO has some decent programs, if you are willing to pay for them, but they offer nothing of which would be a benefit to myself. At least nothing worth the $72+ annual membership fee.

They have developed into the same type of organization SI, TSN & ESPN have in respect to their target market. As long as they have the high-profile folks in their fold, my membership is just icing for their cake, not mine.

Thanks for asking.