The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Look Back Rule

Tournament championship game today. Two very good 10U teams. Most of these girls looked like they have been playing for several years. R1 and R2, batter reaches 1B runners advance, ball back to F1 in circle. I look at batter who had rounded first by ~8 feet. She is in a stance like a runner taking a lead in baseball (looking at F1 both arms out to the side, knees flexed). I count to 3 seconds, runner makes the smallest of lateral hops toward first still looking at F1 in same stance. I count 3 seconds again, no change. As I begin to raise my arm and verbalize "out" she goes back to first. I make the call. Coach first says that she had just rounded the base and stopped like she is entitled to do. I said yes, but she didn't immediately return to the base. Coach says pitcher didn't have the ball. Yes she did coach. Coach says she lost track of where the ball was. "She's out coach, lets play ball."

Call was in 3rd inning. That team was up by 2 at the time, but would up losing by 2 due to some poor defensive execution. Naturally as I left the field, I'm getting blamed for causing them to lose.

Now I know the LBR. Problem is, though I've been doing softball for about 2 years now, I don't have a lot of experience invoking it. Once last year in a varsity HS game, I had a runner off the base with the ball in the circle for about 3-4 seconds and I, being very green, was reluctant to make the call. My partner, a very experienced umpire who was PU called it and told me that he waited for me to make the call before he pulled the switch. Shortly after that game I had to call it in a JV game. I was working that game solo, and it was obvious to everyone.

I was PU today. I went to my partner. He said that I got the call right. He is primarily a baseball umpire and I don't think that he would have made that call, so I don't necessarily feel reinforced.

So my questions:

First of all, was the call "technically correct."

Second, was it appropriate. The runner really had nowhere to go with runners at second and third.

Third, do you give the 10U age a lot more leeway. Don't get me wrong, these were competitive teams who survived good competition to get to the championship game, but do you cut them a lot more slack. I can honestly say that I've worked a fair amount of softball and have seen countless girls properly round a base, stop and return, and there is no question to me that this girl did not immediately return to the base. However most of the games I work are 12U, 14U and high school. I don't work 10U except for tournaments.

Finally, does any call anger parents more than a LBR call. I had a parent say some ugly thngs to me as I walked off the field.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue
First of all, was the call "technically correct."
No. In the first place, 3 seconds is about 3 times too long to wait. In the second place, she stopped, waited 3 seconds, moved and stopped again. She is out immediately at that point. The second stop is illegal.

Quote:
Second, was it appropriate. The runner really had nowhere to go with runners at second and third.
Yes, it was appropriate.
Quote:
Third, do you give the 10U age a lot more leeway.
No. Some, maybe, but not a lot. 3 seconds was way too long, even for 10U.
Quote:
Finally, does any call anger parents more than a LBR call. I had a parent say some ugly thngs to me as I walked off the field.
Don't worry about 10U parents. They are absolutely the least informed and the worst WRT yelling at the umpire.

What got you in trouble was not the call per se, but your own hesitancy in making the call. Quit waiting so long; be far more decisive and definite in the call.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't worry about 10U parents. They are absolutely the least informed and the worst WRT yelling at the umpire.
I agree with Tom on all of the points he raised, especially the line in quotes above.

Waiting "3-4 seconds" in a varsity game was way way too long. Giving 10U three seconds time was also too long, as has already been mentioned.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

10U rec.. leeway, warnings, help em along

10U championship play - absolutely no leeway whatsover. None.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what I ahve seen posted...
10U Rec, consider giving a warning.
10U toruanment, make the call as soon as you see, it, don't wait 3 seconds.

One other point I would make is at 10U especially, this is a good rule to review with the coaches prior to the start of a game. I have seen umpires call this differently and I belioeve it is a good thing to ensure the coaches understand how you are going to call this prior to the game starting.

The 10U parents may still complain, but you have no control over this.