The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Worked My First Game Ever Today

Hi everybody, I've been lurking around here for the last few months, probably reading every thread on the board twice over. This is my first post but I am about to make up for that I'm afraid. I think I have learned a lot from everyone here, and it surprised me to find out how much I still have to learn.

I joined my local ASA this Spring and completed a 5 or 6 session clinic followed by the test.

Today I was assigned what I suppose was my last step in proving that I am competent enough to work on behalf of the association. It was a mens SP DH between 2 lower level teams. I was assigned to work with a veteran umpire who I was to watch for the first two innings and observe his mechanics. Then I was to work the following 5 innings of game 1 by myself while he watched and offered criticism/advice. For game two we were to work using two man mechanics and I would again be working the plate. (The majority of games worked in my area use a single umpire.)

My first sign that my partner wasn't going to be the best role model was when he strolled to the backstop prior to the pre game conference and attached his backpack to the backstop with a bungie cord. He didn't do this on the side of the fence that was out of play mind you, but on the side of the playing field. I know the odds of a play being affected by that backpack are small but it seemed like a silly idea to me.

By the third pitch, an illegal pitch that didn't rise at least six feet, I heard VetUmp yell flat (not illegal) with no DDB signal. Fine I thought to myself, that's his style, no big deal, I'll just do as I think I'm supposed to as far as signals and mechanics go. So two innings come and go and I'm behind the plate. The first pitch comes in and bounces off the outside edge of the plate. "Ball" i say and not two feet behind me "vet ump" is whispering in my ear "plate, say plate when it hits the plate". The pitcher looks in at me and asks where the pitch was, perhaps encouraged by the conversation VetUmp was having in my ear. "Hit the Plate" i said while VetUmp is saying "see, if you say plate, they wouldn't ask". I know there are plenty of umps that say "Plate, and "Flat", and "Deep" and bang fists and whatnot but it was my understanding that these were unapproved, or worse, bush league.

I know I'm talking about Beer League softball but if I am going to do something I want to make sure I am doing it right no matter how silly or unnecessary some people may think it is. But now I find myself having to use VetUmps bush mechanics for the rest of the day because he is the one who will tell our UIC how I did. In my mind, if I didn't do as he said I ran the risk of getting a less than favorable report. And that wouldn't be fair.

One play of note in game two, a bang bang play at first, VetUmp seems to hesitate for a second longer than normal, and a little off balance he meakly says "Safe". No one really complains and the inning continues as normal. Between innings, he tells me that the gum he was chewing briefly blocked his windpipe, choking him, thus the weak call. Oh well, at least it wasn't a pretzel.

Hopefully, he'll tell our UIC what he needs to hear, and I'll begin to work in earnest. I'm confident that will be the case, thanks in part to everyone here. Thanks for that. And thanks for reading.

Ogie

(edited for spelling)

Last edited by ogie oglethorpe; Sun Apr 01, 2007 at 10:23pm.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Well, I don't do ASA anymore and I don't think I would ever accept a men's SP game (I've heard too many nightmare stories) - so I cannot comment on any of the problems you may or may not have. There are a lot of guys on here that will give you good advice on that.

I just wanted to say congratulations on making it this far. It sounds to me like you are going to care enough about the profession to improve and not settle for personal mediocrity. Good luck in the future!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Your vet umps first name wouldn't have been Jim, would it?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie oglethorpe

Hopefully, he'll tell our UIC what he needs to hear, and I'll begin to work in earnest. I'm confident that will be the case, thanks in part to everyone here. Thanks for that. And thanks for reading.

Ogie
Welcome and congratulations.

Don't let bad umpires and players affect your integrity and professionalism.

Whether it is a "beer league" game or a national championship, an umpire should always walk on the field with their "A" game. There will always be your detractors, but more often that will be a result of your approach to the game making their efforts look shoddy.

From your post, you have been trained in the proper mechanics, don't be afraid to do it right. After all, that's what you are getting paid to do.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to umpiring!

For those that love it, it is very rewarding.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

"I know there are plenty of umps that say "Plate, and "Flat", and "Deep" and bang fists and whatnot but it was my understanding that these were unapproved, or worse, bush league."

Your understanding is correct. Trust me....go with book mechanics..... no fist banging.... no pointing....no "flat"..none of that trash. You WILL look better, and you will have more respect than those that use half-assed mechanics..... and come to this place if you have a question.... some of the best s-ball minds are here (jimpiano excluded)
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Ogie:

Let me also a) welcome you to the board, and b) join in with those who have already encouraged you to use the proper mechanics in your umpiring. You may be a stand alone, at first, if your entire association is doing it the VetUmp's way, but eventually you will be the stand out of the association if you continue using the correct mechanics.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to thank everybody for the warm welcome, and for reassuring me that trying to do things the right way, is the right way. Even posts by JimPiano help, because without them I may not have realized the importance of proper mechanics prior to seeing the response he received. I'm in no position to question the job anyone else does, I just don't want to emulate what many consider bad habits.

There was actually a play that occurred yesterday while i was working the first game solo, a fly ball down the left field line that should have been a can of corn. As the ball is reaching the fielder I remember reading that I need to think of priorities in terms of fair/foul then catch/no catch. The fielder has the ball bounce off his glove while he and the ball are over foul territory, and it drops just to the foul side of the line. I emphatically rule "foul ball" and the batter asks me if the fielder was in fair territory. No I say, fielder and ball were both in foul territory. But it got me to questioning myself. Does it matter?

Which leads me to my question, since VetUmp was unable to clarify things for me. Is my only criteria for fair/foul the location of the ball when it is touched? Does it matter if the fielder is in fair or foul territory? Suppose while the ball is still in the air over foul territory it caroms off the fielders glove into fair territory before hitting the ground? Is it fair? I may post this in a separate thread to maximize eyeballs. Thanks again everyone.

Ogie
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Location, location, location....of the ball. Really don't care where the fielder is.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to elie
Really thank you a lot for this great topic
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Location, location, location....of the ball. Really don't care where the fielder is.
So if the ball bounces off the fielder in foul territory and lands fair, it would be a fair ball yes?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if the ball bounces off the fielder in foul territory and lands fair, it would be a fair ball yes?
Ask yourself this question, where was the ball first contacted?!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Ask yourself this question, where was the ball first contacted?!
OK Thanks. Foul ball it is. Sure glad that ball didn't land fair yesterday.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd like to thank everybody for the warm welcome, and for reassuring me that trying to do things the right way, is the right way. Even posts by JimPiano help, because without them I may not have realized the importance of proper mechanics
We should all thank the jimpianos, without umpires like that, people who strive to do it correctly would have no measurement of success.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
We should all thank the jimpianos, without umpires like that, people who strive to do it correctly would have no measurement of success.
:O xxx