The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Your ruling? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/33248-your-ruling.html)

mcrowder Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:01am

Your ruling?

Newbies first, then veterans can correct them.

Bases loaded, 2 outs, full count, R1 and R2 off as the ball crosses the plate. R3 not so bright. Pop up near 2nd base. R1 scores easily. R2 scores before the ball comes down. R3, seeing the popup, gives up and is standing about 15 feet off of first base.

F4 fails to catch the popup. After the ball hits the ground, F4 chases R3 back toward first, where BR has already rounded the bag, causing R3 to run (in reverse) past BR. R3 gets all the way back to the base and is tagged (BR is about where F4 started the play when the tag is made).

How many runs score and why?

edit to correct R1/3 error and technicality on timing of when R1 and R2 left)

Skahtboi Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
R1 scores easily.

After the ball hits the ground, F4 chases R1 back toward first, where BR has already rounded the bag, causing R1 to run (in reverse) past BR. R1 gets all the way back to the base and is tagged (BR is about where F4 started the play when the tag is made).

Are you sure this is what you meant to say???? (Check out the red lettering.)

TwoBits Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:42am

I'm inclined to say two since the force was off when the BR passed the runner retreating to first, assuming the BR did this after the other runners had crossed the plate.

Dakota Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi

Obviously, an incompletely editted baseball scenario! ;)

mcrowder Fri Mar 30, 2007 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi

Thanks! I fixed it.

mcrowder Fri Mar 30, 2007 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Obviously, an incompletely editted baseball scenario! ;)

No, a softball scenario, written by someone who's been arguing too much on that other board this morning. :)

Dakota Fri Mar 30, 2007 01:21pm

Quote:

arguing too much on that other board this morning.

From my browsing (and occasional --- VERY occasional) posting on that board, I would not have thought it possible to argue too much there... :cool: :D

IRISHMAFIA Fri Mar 30, 2007 01:46pm

Quote:

Bases loaded, 2 outs, full count, R1 and R2 off on the pitch. R3 not so bright. Pop up near 2nd base. R1 scores easily. R2 scores before the ball comes down. R3, seeing the popup, gives up and is standing about 15 feet off of first base.

F4 fails to catch the popup. After the ball hits the ground, F4 chases R3 back toward first, where BR has already rounded the bag, causing R3 to run (in reverse) past BR. R3 gets all the way back to the base and is tagged (BR is about where F4 started the play when the tag is made).

How many runs score and why?

Speaking ASA SP.

None, either R1 or R2 is out for leaving the base prior to the ball reaching the plate.

mcrowder Fri Mar 30, 2007 02:16pm

Thanks for the continued derailing... :)

I see only one real answer so far ... go ahead and guess, non-1000-post guys.

TwoBits Fri Mar 30, 2007 02:23pm

I'm curious as to the answer. No one else seems to be.

I'm rethinking my answer though. If the BR had already touched first base, then ran past R3, then R3 is no longer entitled to first base, thus making the tag of her a fourth out. I'm a baseball guy who occasionally does softball (expected to do so in this my association), so do softball rules recognized a fourth out like baseball does?

mcrowder Fri Mar 30, 2007 02:26pm

TB - tried to send you an IM, but it's shut off on your end.

wadeintothem Fri Mar 30, 2007 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBits
Getting curious as to what the answer is....

Why?

There is only one answer unless some SP guy bobs in here and talks about runners leaving early.. but mccrowder fixed that :D

Its a timing play, the tag is immaterial.

The out is when the "BR" passes R3 (even though its R3s fault for being a doofus)

Two run score since R2 scored before the out, 3rd out, refill sunflower seed time.

TwoBits Fri Mar 30, 2007 02:30pm

edit remove

Dakota Fri Mar 30, 2007 03:16pm

Quote:

re: No answers... I wasn't sure how long you wanted me to wait...

Skahtboi Fri Mar 30, 2007 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
re: No answers... I wasn't sure how long you wanted me to wait...

Keep waiting.....