The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

getting new officials ??

I have become convinced that the only way most areas will ever recruit and retain new officials is to pay more $$$$$ !!!
I live in an area that is not only growing--new schools being built--but
the umpires are a bit "long in the tooth" as it were.
Looking at the cost (money and time) involved for a beginning umpire-- gear, uniforms,
attending meetings, taking tests-- it is no wonder why we are all having
a hard time getting new people. When you look at the financial return--
you do not have to be a CPA to see why so few would want to get into umpiring-- or for that matter, officiating most any sport !
I think it is high time that the powers that be--state and local get serious about attracting new and quality officials.
When you look at the total budget of most schools-- I do not think it would
be unreasonable to pay officals for many sports in the $100 a game range.
Imagine your next next association meeting when those levels of pay are
made available !!
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

I take it SWFL that your from Florida. I'm from LI New York and can tell you that our Varsity Umpires are making over $100 a game. I worked with a fellow ump who also does games in Sunny Fla.and he told me they were getting somewhere in the range of $40 a game. Now we don't get paid for mileage or get a dressing room but we do get paid well. In today's world a Umpire doing Varsity level should be paid $75 a game as a start everywhere in the USA. Otherwise you will be working alone or with unqualified people. I agree it's time for School administrators to wake up and pay officials a decent wage.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Geez, I'd love to make a hundred bucks a game, and yes, I do believe it's worth it! I make around $50 bucks for varsity, and only $62.50 for college.

While I don't have an answer, I don't believe more pay will recruit more QUALITY umpires. It may recruit the kind that is only after quick cash.

Our association has been given a huge shot in the arm this year. We have added around 15 new umps this year which is about a 25% increase! Surely not all will stay and move up to the HS circuit, be hopefully some will. We have two weeks of "rec" ball over now, and after watching some of our new folks, and getting reports on all, and working with a couple, I have been impressed!

I have asked some why they wanted to start umpiring, and the usual answer is something like "I love being around ball, and the kids," or "I have always enjoyed ball, and want to give something back," but a few have said (in effect) "you guys make it look fun!" I have never heard anyone mention the pay.

While there are some "unpleasentries" associated with umpiring, if the "fun" and comraderie is pushed, most new guys will stick around, and the bad will be weeded out on their own.

More cash would be nice still though, but I still don't think that is the answer.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Here we go with this discussion again. Sadly, since it was last raised on this board, nothing has changed in Texas. TASO umpires still make $35.00 a game for JV and varsity, with .44 a mile for mileage. Collegiate umpires make $60.00 to $75.00 a game, with no mileage being paid.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I don't think anyone would disagree with the idea that it's worth more than $50 a game. In WV we get $50 for HS varsity and $40 for JV and make $130 for a college DH ($140 next year) with no mileage paid for any level. I have a college weekend trip coming up with 3 DH's - I'll make $390 and get no travel, have 2 overnights with meals . . . I'm guessing I'll clear under $250 . . . that's a shame.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I don't think anyone would disagree with the idea that it's worth more than $50 a game. In WV we get $50 for HS varsity and $40 for JV and make $130 for a college DH ($140 next year) with no mileage paid for any level. I have a college weekend trip coming up with 3 DH's - I'll make $390 and get no travel, have 2 overnights with meals . . . I'm guessing I'll clear under $250 . . . that's a shame.
Doesn't the school provide you with your rooms??? I just got back from a two day, four game stint and all I had to pay for was food and the gas to get my van there.

Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Guy worked for me last year fixing a parquet floor and doing some painting and repairs to help me get a house ready for sale. Gave him my old snow-blower and lawn mower, since he said he could use them. Got to talking about sports. He had been a college quarterback (not small-time, either) and had played some baseball.

Since he seemed happy to have work from me, I figured he might like to pick up $42 cash a game for local little girls' FP that I assign. He said he wished he could, but he didn't think he'd have the time.

A few weeks later, I see him on TV accepting his Emmy award.

PS. In terms of pay around the country, remember that money in Nebraska is worth far more than money in New York City, where an overtime parking ticket is $64. I read somewhere that you can live better on $30,000 a year in Tucson than you can on $100,000 a year in San Francisco. (I'd prefer Tucson anyway.) Remember also that in Manhattan, a salary of $40,000 will allow you to live in a handyman special made of medium-grade cardboard.

Last edited by greymule; Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 02:21pm.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Guy worked for me last year fixing a parquet floor and doing some painting and repairs to help me get a house ready for sale. Gave him my old snow-blower and lawn mower, since he said he could use them. Got to talking about sports. He had been a college quarterback (not small-time, either) and had played some baseball.

Since he seemed happy to have work from me, I figured he might like to pick up $42 cash a game for local little girls' FP that I assign. He said he wished he could, but he didn't think he'd have the time.

A few weeks later, I see him on TV accepting his Emmy award.

PS. In terms of pay around the country, remember that money in Nebraska is worth far more than money in New York City, where an overtime parking ticket is $64. I read somewhere that you can live better on $30,000 a year in Tucson than you can on $100,000 a year in San Francisco. (I'd prefer Tucson anyway.) Remember also that in Manhattan, a salary of $40,000 will allow you to live in a handyman special made of medium-grade cardboard.
GreyMule is 100% right5. Everything is relevant when it comes to pay for officiating. A guy making $35 for a Varsity game is terrible. Most here have to take yearly tests and get rated by coaches or our peers. We know must of us do it because we love the game. It would be nice to know that the game loves us back.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Doesn't the school provide you with your rooms??? I just got back from a two day, four game stint and all I had to pay for was food and the gas to get my van there.
Nope. I think there are a couple of schools that you can get "their rate" at a hotel but they don't pay for your rooms. Sucks huh?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope. I think there are a couple of schools that you can get "their rate" at a hotel but they don't pay for your rooms. Sucks huh?
Indeed it does.

Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Do the umpires in high school, NCAA, etc work as independent contractors or are they subject to IRS withholding?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Do the umpires in high school, NCAA, etc work as independent contractors or are they subject to IRS withholding?
In WV we are independent contractors. We are not subject to having the schools with hold taxes but we are supposed to claim the income. Personally, I claim it and write off all my equipment that I buy new each year. It's the mileage that causes me to make out like a bandit! My mileage alone increased my tax return this year by almost $2,700. (I should point out - that includes work and officiating mileage.)

Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In WV we are independent contractors. We are not subject to having the schools with hold taxes but we are supposed to claim the income. Personally, I claim it and write off all my equipment that I buy new each year. It's the mileage that causes me to make out like a bandit! My mileage alone increased my tax return this year by almost $2,700. (I should point out - that includes work and officiating mileage.)
I guess I don't understand how mileage "increased your tax return".

Mileage would reduce your net income, along with expenses for equipment, clothing, dues, attending clinics, etc.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
I guess I don't understand how mileage "increased your tax return".

Mileage would reduce your net income, along with expenses for equipment, clothing, dues, attending clinics, etc.
I have an accountant that does it for me - but at like 45 cents per mile - it reduced my income sufficiently and thus increased my return.

Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have an accountant that does it for me - but at like 45 cents per mile - it reduced my income sufficiently and thus increased my return.
ok, i see you meant it increased your refund.