The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Federation uniform ??

I have a lot of questions about the Fed rule book but will try to keep the postings to a minimum.

The first is the uniform rule. 3-2-1 (pg 32) says that the team 'should' wear uniforms that are the same color and style. But then, in 3-2-5 (pg33) it states that the headgear 'must' be the same color. Where is the logic in having a rainbow of shirts, which is legal, but all of the hats, visors, and headbands must match.

This inconsistancy is also true for undergarments. Upper body do not have to be the same color: 3-2-7-a; but the lower body do have to be: 3-2-7-b.

Can anyone give a logical answer for this or is it one of those HS crazy things we just have to live with?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
I have a lot of questions about the Fed rule book but will try to keep the postings to a minimum.

The first is the uniform rule. 3-2-1 (pg 32) says that the team 'should' wear uniforms that are the same color and style. But then, in 3-2-5 (pg33) it states that the headgear 'must' be the same color. Where is the logic in having a rainbow of shirts, which is legal, but all of the hats, visors, and headbands must match.

This inconsistancy is also true for undergarments. Upper body do not have to be the same color: 3-2-7-a; but the lower body do have to be: 3-2-7-b.

Can anyone give a logical answer for this or is it one of those HS crazy things we just have to live with?
Logic and FED rules do not always walk hand in hand. Just accept the force of the FED and rule wisely.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Often you'll find that JV uniforms do not exactly match varsity uniforms, but you will have some of the JV's playing varsity ball now & then. Let them, consider the uniforms to be a match. Most schools get all new hats/visors/whatever every year - there is no good reason for them not to match.

Doesn't the Fed position on slidng pants look familiar? Did you ever look at ASA's?

I'll grant you that the Fed has some goofy stuff in their rules, but this is not part of the goofy stuff.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Sliding pants must match to minimize the liklihood of the pitcher being the only player on a team wearing a distraction at the release point (from the hip). Sliders are optional, and worn for a purpose; yet often seem to be part of team purchase.

Upper body undergarments are more often worn just for an individual's comfort with temperature, and is rarely part of a team purchase. It is less reasonable to mandate not wearing a garment when cold because it doesn't match. While it is true the pitcher might wear a distracting item on her pitching arm, that can be excluded with judicious use of the rule; yet, still allow the pitcher to wear a different color undergarment, instead.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Remember, as was noted this past weekend in OKC by Ms. Struckoff, the NFHS do what they can to "influence" the local associations. When it comes down to it, the locals can pretty much do whatever they please.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Remember, as was noted this past weekend in OKC by Ms. Struckoff, the NFHS do what they can to "influence" the local associations. When it comes down to it, the locals can pretty much do whatever they please.
If you look at the full name - National Federation of State High School Associations - you realize that the NFHS is nothing more that a collection of state associations. It was started back in the 1920's by four midwest states (MI, WI, IL and IO) to combat the influence of the NCAA and club teams on high school sports. Currently all 50 states and some Canadian associations are members.

While the NFHS has an administrative staff in Indy, it's policy and rule making personnel are from the states.

WMB
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Can anyone give a logical answer for this or is it one of those HS crazy things we just have to live with?
Yes..........
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Yes..........
Should I feel insulted???
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I have a lot of questions about the Fed rule book but will try to keep the postings to a minimum. ... snip ...
Why?

What about
http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimate...f=13&submit=Go
?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Should I feel insulted???
No, Steve....nothing personal at all. If I was going to insult you, you would know it!

I just dislike having to be the fashion police for HS games. I'm there to umpire a softball game and frankly, I don't care if Suzy in right field has a red visor on and Debbie at second base has a blue headband, etc.

The HS association I work with can be pretty anal about this, so I enforce it by the book....I just don't like it.