The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 04, 2001, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

ASA's new uniform:

Heather Gray or Navy Blue pants with Light Blue or Navy Blue pullovers and an ASA Navy Blue ball bag.

Things are so much less complicated with just one uniform no matter which one it is. I can just imagine the combinations we are going to see on the field next year.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2001, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Was there a reason given for this complication?

Since ASA regs require all umpires in a crew to wear identical uniforms, maybe the local orgs will still standardize on one set of pants/shirt.

We just completed the transition away from the Elbeco shirts. I ain't looking forward to another year of "synchronize uniforms" junk at the field.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2001, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I would think this is a compromise between the old and new school. The light blue over dark blue has always been ASA's signature for their umpires and to be honest with you, that is my preference.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2001, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, just a reminder that the non-binding poll taken by Henry Pollard last February at the Nation UIC Clinic, the Light Blue pullover and Navy Blue pants was the most popular, but only by a very slim margin.

Old Sun Nov 04, 2001, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

I just heard about this today. What I ddn't hear was the color of the T-shirt to wear underneath the pullovers. Any word on that, Mike?

As for complicating things, I think it simplifies them. Most of us doing ASA ball also do high school and we've used one or the other pullover with gray slacks fr some years now. So, the vast majority of us already have all the different combinations. While I realize my van is a bit extreme, I carry all uniforms and all gear all season long. I also have three sets of drawers full of the different T-shirts, socks, hats, and all sorts of stuff.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I just heard about this today. What I ddn't hear was the color of the T-shirt to wear underneath the pullovers. Any word on that, Mike?

As for complicating things, I think it simplifies them. Most of us doing ASA ball also do high school and we've used one or the other pullover with gray slacks fr some years now. So, the vast majority of us already have all the different combinations. While I realize my van is a bit extreme, I carry all uniforms and all gear all season long. I also have three sets of drawers full of the different T-shirts, socks, hats, and all sorts of stuff.
Steve,

You need to remember that not everyone does HS ball. That is when you run into problems. One umpire is in the proper ASA uniform for an ASA game. Then a partner shows up wearing the uniform from a HS game s/he just worked. So, why should the person in the proper uniform have to worry about what the other is wearing, after all, that individual elected to work two different organizations, not the ASA-only umpire?

Of course, I've never understood the logic. For years the Fed umpires have been using the argument that the gray is cooler, but then turn around and wear dark shirts. I won't argue that the uniform doesn't look smart, it does. But there are some long, hot days the umpires spend on the field were a "smart" looking uniform is not practical.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
I can see & even agree with each point you make. Here, for league play, we've been wearing the gray slacks and either shirt for the past several years. No, it was not the ASA approved uniform, but it was the uniform the my umps picked - and everyone had them. For tournaments, where we ran into problems was with the few who had never bothered to get a light blue pullover - they stayed with the same worn & ratty-looking Elbeco that they had had & used for the past 10 years. I think you made the point ealier about hurting for umps so badly at tournament time that you weren't able to be selective - we're in that same boat.

What I have found with ASA's pullovers is that the sleeves are about a half to a full inch shorter than the others. That's OK if you do not wear a T-shirt underneath, but if you do, the T-shirt sleeves may stick out at the botton of the sleeve.

Anyway, did ASA decide what color T-shirts are to be worn underneath each pullover?

[Edited by Steve M on Nov 5th, 2001 at 05:03 PM]
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not included in your "vast majority." HS games around here are in the mid-afternoon & I am at my "day job."

If the ASA is trying to accomodate umpires who call other organizations, I have a message for them: I don't appreciate having to double up on my uniform expenses to accomodate other organizations -- or for that matter, to accomodate someone's fashion taste.

Speaking personally, I prefer the dark blue shirt + gray pants look. I suspect some of the attraction is the similarity to the old MLB umpire's uniform. Does this mean we will be moving to cream / green-gray / black in a few years? Then what'll we be called - "Hey, beige, ... "

I'm OK with a transition to a common uniform to accomodate our Fed colleagues - 1 style shirt, 1 style pants; Just give me a couple of years to get suitable use out of my current shirts, etc. But two of both? What's the point of that?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

TRY RED

Try RED.

In AFA championship games, we used RED shirts with
gray slacks. Looks good, buuuuuutttt.

In Texas FED we are wearing the dark blue or powder blue
with gray slacks. Match your partner is the thing. Like
Steve, I just carry them all. Gray & Blue slacks,
light and dark blue shirts, unless AFA involved thengray
and red shirts with gray slacks only.

What do you wear in the college ranks Steve, or anyone else.
ASA [powder blue with blue slacks?]

ASA leagues match partner with same as FED except slacks
will be blue

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: TRY RED

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Try RED.

In AFA championship games, we used RED shirts with
gray slacks. Looks good, buuuuuutttt.

In Texas FED we are wearing the dark blue or powder blue
with gray slacks. Match your partner is the thing. Like
Steve, I just carry them all. Gray & Blue slacks,
light and dark blue shirts, unless AFA involved thengray
and red shirts with gray slacks only.

What do you wear in the college ranks Steve, or anyone else.
ASA [powder blue with blue slacks?]

ASA leagues match partner with same as FED except slacks
will be blue

glen

Glen,
I've got the red shirt, to - sometimes wear that for Legion baseball. As for the college game - the important thing is to match your partner. We sometimes wear the gray slacks with either shirt and other times wear the blue slacks with the light blue shirt. We're supposed to wear plain blue hats, no NCAA on hats until championship play.

By the way, our supplier is trying to get hold of some plain blue mesh hats - like the new ASA ones. Those hats do not block anywhere near as well as the wool, but they sure do stay cleaner looking.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Anyway, did ASA decide what color T-shirts are to be worn underneath each pullover?

[Edited by Steve M on Nov 5th, 2001 at 05:03 PM]
[/B]
Not sure about ASA but locally with the powder blue we
wear white and with the darker we wear navy. I prefer
white on both, but not my choice.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.