View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I just heard about this today. What I ddn't hear was the color of the T-shirt to wear underneath the pullovers. Any word on that, Mike?

As for complicating things, I think it simplifies them. Most of us doing ASA ball also do high school and we've used one or the other pullover with gray slacks fr some years now. So, the vast majority of us already have all the different combinations. While I realize my van is a bit extreme, I carry all uniforms and all gear all season long. I also have three sets of drawers full of the different T-shirts, socks, hats, and all sorts of stuff.
Steve,

You need to remember that not everyone does HS ball. That is when you run into problems. One umpire is in the proper ASA uniform for an ASA game. Then a partner shows up wearing the uniform from a HS game s/he just worked. So, why should the person in the proper uniform have to worry about what the other is wearing, after all, that individual elected to work two different organizations, not the ASA-only umpire?

Of course, I've never understood the logic. For years the Fed umpires have been using the argument that the gray is cooler, but then turn around and wear dark shirts. I won't argue that the uniform doesn't look smart, it does. But there are some long, hot days the umpires spend on the field were a "smart" looking uniform is not practical.