The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Need a bit of help here.... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/29905-need-bit-help-here.html)

booker227 Mon Dec 04, 2006 01:34pm

Need a bit of help here....

My fellow umpires are split on this.
Situation:
Batter hits the ball which hits the plate and rebounds high behind her and the catcher. Catcher makes a play on the ball and catches it before it hits the ground or anything else in foul territory. Question, fair or foul ball? If you can, please site the reference/rules book...
thanks, Booker227

argodad Mon Dec 04, 2006 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by booker227
Situation:
Batter hits the ball which hits the plate and rebounds high behind her and the catcher. Catcher makes a play on the ball and catches it before it hits the ground or anything else in foul territory. Question, fair or foul ball? If you can, please site the reference/rules book...
thanks, Booker227

Foul ball. Fair/Foul depends on the position of the ball when the defender touches it. This is no different than a ball that would hit the plate and roll behind the catcher and be picked up. Am I missing something here? :confused: You have umpires that are split on this??

Skahtboi Mon Dec 04, 2006 02:01pm

Yup. Foul ball. Not sure where the "argument" is coming from on this one.

Steve M Mon Dec 04, 2006 03:42pm

Quote:

Situation:
thanks, Booker227

Booker,
What are we missing with this? An untouched, batted ball is touched by a fielder in foul territory - why is there an argument/disagreement on fair/foul on this?

I can't cite a rule for you as you forgot to tell us what rules you're using. But I'd start with the definition in any sanctioning body's rule book.

Dakota Mon Dec 04, 2006 05:09pm

What you guys are missing is that the plate is not part of the ground.

Personally, I'm calling a foul tip.

CecilOne Mon Dec 04, 2006 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad
Am I missing something here? :confused: You have umpires that are split on this??

They must be gymnasts. :p

CecilOne Mon Dec 04, 2006 05:43pm

Assuming "behind her and the catcher" means in foul ground and the catcher's contact point is still over foul ground when contact occurs, the answers are correct and your "gymnasts" are "off the beam". :)

I'm hoping they are just overreaching in trying to correct the "home plate is foul" myth.

SRW Mon Dec 04, 2006 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Sharply and directly from the bat to the glove... hmmm...:rolleyes:

Justme Mon Dec 04, 2006 07:29pm

Quote:

First, bouncing off the plate and then being caught by F2 does not meet the "Foul Tip" criteria (see definition of a Foul Tip).

So using your definition that if the ball hit the plate it did not hit the ground then you'd have a foul ball that was caught by F2. So you'd call the batter out right?

Dakota Mon Dec 04, 2006 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justme
First, bouncing off the plate and then being caught by F2 does not meet the "Foul Tip" criteria (see definition of a Foul Tip).

So using your definition that if the ball hit the plate it did not hit the ground then you'd have a foul ball that was caught by F2. So you'd call the batter out right?

I guess absurdity is not your brand of humor?

Dakota Mon Dec 04, 2006 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Sharply and directly from the bat to the glove... hmmm...:rolleyes:

:D ;) :D :cool:

CecilOne Tue Dec 05, 2006 08:09am

Quote:

I guess absurdity is not your brand of humor?

What's more absurd than "if the ball hit the plate it did not hit the ground then you'd have a foul ball that was caught by F2"?

wadeintothem Tue Dec 05, 2006 08:51am

Quote:

Situation:
thanks, Booker227

So theoretically.. this ball also bounced far behind the umpire..

And umpires you know are split on what to rule?

Why? What is the argument? We got nothing else to do on this board.. I'd like to hear this.

Skahtboi Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:17am

Come on Booker....inquiring minds want to know what the argument was about.

AlabamaBlue Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:09pm

Am I the only one that realized Dakota was funning? Are umpires really that uptight? :)