The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Indoor ball - fees

We've now got an indoor field in the area and it looks as if a league is going to be starting up. For those who work indoor ball - what are the fees as compared to your summer fees?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

The last indoor games I did were in 2003 in MA. Single umpire, $25 per game. I hope it has gone up by now. I only worked in 1 dome but there are at least 3 others in MA. At that time only Fall and Winter leagues were scheduled. Games were 75 minutes and drop dead. Games were scheduled every 90 minutes.

The surface was an artificial rug material with lines painted on for everything including bases. If you are working an artificial surface behind the plate be careful. Balls that hit the surface before reaching the plate speed up greatly and acquire a magnet for unprotected body parts. It took most catchers several games to adjust to balls that skipped. Some never adjusted. There was an umpire who only used a mask and had her collar bone broken.

Good luck.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I our area, indoor FP softball game fees are $30. You work solo and games are 75 minutes each. Usually work a double header on a Saturday as 4 games are generally scheduled (sometimes 5). We also have an artifical surface for the playing field. Lines, batters boxes and plate are painted, regular bases are placed and there are lines on the outfield wall indicating double, triple or home run of course when the ball is hit on the fly above any painted line. There is also netting above the fence which also covers the entire playing field. Any ball hit off the netting, in fair territory, is live and if caught is an out.
I am certain to wear full gear with the exception of not needing a ball bag and plate brush. And as CLBuffalo mentioned, pitches and/or foul balls that hit the playing surface deflect very fast and can find "unprotected" body parts. Matter of fact, last season we had a HS sophmore catcher take a foul ball to her crotch area. Time was called and the athlete humerously said she wished they made female protection for that area. I told her and her coach, who was with her during the time out, to check Honig's web site as female protection is available. They both seemed suprised and said they would "check it out".
The indoor game is unique compaired to "regular" FP softball but IMO it helps keep athletes and umpires "in tune" during the off season.
Sam
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Sam & Chester - but with those fees, what did you get for summer, outside ball. Knowing what you're getting outdoors AND indoors will give me a comparison to start working with.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Summer outdoor FP softball is usually $20/game for 13 & up / $30 for 17 & up age group (2 umpire system).
Sam

Last edited by U of M Sam; Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 02:19pm.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Dixie Youth Rec League all levels - 2 umpires, $18/plate - $15/bases, $25 if alone. I already know that next year it will be $30 per umpire, not sure about single ump which can happen often with softball here.

Tournaments - 2 umpires, $25 each. I did do 1 tournament (ASA) for $27 (2 umpires). I haven't done a tournament game alone in the 3 1/2 years I've been here.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Just curious

Just curious, what is it about the games that makes the fees different?
Is it just the facility being smaller, etc. or that they don't really count; or actual rules & procedure differences?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBuffalo
Dixie Youth Rec League all levels - 2 umpires, $18/plate - $15/bases, $25 if alone.
I have never understood the mentality that pays the plate umpire more than the base umpire. Both positions, if worked properly, are equally demanding. Is it for the "discomfort" factor of having to wear the gear as PU? Or is it because many associations use the BU spot as training for the new umpire? What is the rationale there??? Or...is it just a way for organizations to save money?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Our league does that, plate makes more than field ump. I have lobbied against it, but it is a "we always done that" mentality. The reason I was given is it adds incentive to be behind the plate. This is a small rec league, and most umpires (all except 3-4) are young ladies off the high school team making a few extra bucks. Having the extra incentive makes some of them on the bubble between trying taking the extra jawing you get on balls and strikes worth putting on the gear that messes up thier hair!

Now that being said, I have gotten it changed in the summer tourney where we do pay everyone the same game fee, since we only use the "best" of the umpires for this tourney! Basically they all are capable of calling a decent plate game so everyone gets the same $$ . It also allows you to put the stronger ump behind the plate without someone beign upset over money!!! I also don't agree with two seasoned umpires making different $$ it makes no sense, to me in a high action game, the bases are MORE difficult to me...maybe cause I do so much plate?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Just curious, what is it about the games that makes the fees different?
Is it just the facility being smaller, etc. or that they don't really count; or actual rules & procedure differences?
Cecil,
I don't have any idea why the fees are different - I just know that I have heard they are. It never mattered before as there were nosuch facilities in this area. Now, there is one - so it becomes more important to know the differences.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

I didn't know indoor softball was played! Must be a northern thing!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan
I didn't know indoor softball was played! Must be a northern thing!
Got that right..

Umpiring in a nice sweet air conditioned/heated room with a nice relaxing lounge between games, doubtless waitresses and everything else.. and they want to get paid the SAME!!!

Bah.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Her on LI it's $25 per game
one hour drop dead time limit
Batter starts with a 1 & 1 count
No warm up between innings.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Got that right..

Umpiring in a nice sweet air conditioned/heated room with a nice relaxing lounge between games, doubtless waitresses and everything else.. and they want to get paid the SAME!!!

Bah.
If the dome I worked had this I would gladly have done games for less. If there had been a lounge of any type and waitresses I might have volunteered to do games.

I know of at least 1 dome in TX. There are probably more south of the M/D Line.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBuffalo
...... I know of at least 1 dome in TX. ...
WHERE?