The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just to put it to rest....

....here it is.

However, to make it somewhat meaningful, let's talk about game officials.

Much of the problem is that too many non-officials in any game consider the umpire, referee, judge, etc. a commodity. Many organizations just schedule tournaments with little to no consideration of from where the game officials will come. These folks act like they can stop by the "Game Official" section of the supermarket on the way to the fields and pick-up as many officials as they need for that day's games.

Anyone who belongs to a small association knows that this just isn't the case. The train of thought needs to be changed. Game officials need to be considered a limited resource. We constantly see tournaments or leagues that are just happy to have someone act as an official...that is until it affects their game. Then these folks want to know where all the GOOD officials are hiding.

The time is coming when there will not be enough to satisfy the massive number of tournaments in a certain area and it will cause an epiphany, of sorts, among the sports community, including softball. As it is, dissatisfied teams just move to another sanctioning body's tournament. The only problem is that you can have a new sanctioning body come into existence every three months, and there will still only be so many individuals who are willing to become game officials.

So, it comes down to multiplying the number of tournaments, number of fields, number of games, but there will still only be a certain number of game officials. It is a never ending cycle and the unwillingness of the teams to understand the situation and attempt to work within certain parameters does nothing more than cause consternation among those involved. In turn, some frustration is directed at those of authority which includes the game officials.

This lack of consideration and, in turn, respect of the game officials only leads to the depletion of the ranks of officials. As a note, ASA lost less than a thousand umpires in registration this year and that was considered a good thing. In the 18 years I have been involved with ASA, the number of registered umpires has dropped by approximately 18,000 members.

The demand is much greater than the supply and I don't think it is going to get any better until we get the leagues, players, coaches and parents to understand that game officials do not grow on trees or occupy a shelf at the local supermarket. And the only people who are going to do that are you and me. WE need to make the consumer understand the situation and provide a hand in the repopulation of the ranks of officiating across the country.

Thanks,
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I would concur with much of what you have stated. One of my biggest frustrations is League Directors more intent on making a buck, than running a good program. I was working a National Qaulifier tourney and we went 1 man the whole tournament. I ended up working the Mens Championship by myself. That was game 20 for the weekend (3 days). Best line of I had from a player, between games, he asks "What are you getting a game this weekend, about $75? I didnt tell him what I was getting, but he did realize that it was sufficiently lower than that. Players think we are getting paid huge amounts. Tourney Directors and League Directors only seem interested in making the most they can.

I worked 20 games that weekend and was told I had to bring my own food and beverage.

Fortunately next year I will not be working nearly as much as I did this one.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

The only people who know there is a severe umpire shortage is the umpires. I have often wondered why there is little to no recruiting of umpires.

In the 19 years that I have been chest-high in youth softball, I have only seen one case of someone advertising for umpires (my ad on the GA fastpitch message board last month).

In fact, if anyone can show me another example of where there is a "Call for Umpire Recruits", I would be glad to buy you a cold one.

It is like the "silicon valley mentality of business" that the fish will just jump into the boat. Put a line in the water before you complain that they aren't biting today.

Let the flames begin.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I generally agree with the opinions stated. The following was my "attempt" to recruit younger umpires:
Approx. 7 years ago I was "talked" into becoming the UIC for our local Little League. There was a limited list of current umpires at the time I took the position. I chose to advertize at sign ups for new umpires. Many responses, although very few adults applied. Pre season clinics were conducted with generally good turn out of eager individuals who were mostly players from the league (12 to 18 year olds) looking to make some extra cash. I know that LL is expected to be volunteer although umpire volunteers were almost non-existant. Parents did not want to umpire (even when getting paid) as most could "umpire" better from the stands. The list continued to grow over the 4 years I was UIC. We conducted yearly clinics generally covering the basics and overall the "youngsters" umpired well.

When I chose to resign as UIC, I passed on the list of umpires. Sadly, the individual that became UIC somewhat discarded my list as he had some "new" umpires. Well long story short, the overall list of umpires decreased, annual clinics were not conducted, assignments were made at "short notice" (sometimes the day of scheduled games) and current umpires were many times scheduled solo. The new UIC usually was not at the field more than 1 to 2 days per week to assist with game management (I was usually at the field 5-6 days per week). This created an unorganized athomsphere. I continue to work softball games for the league and found many umpires would approach me with questions/situations as I was willing to listen and help.

Many people, including myself prior to being UIC, do not realize the time and effort involved to obtain, train and maintain a group or umpires. I can only imagine the challenge for larger leagues/organizations.

I continue to umpire LL and NFHS softball and am always willing to recruit new umpires although it does seem that many are not interested to become involved. My time as UIC was usually enjoyable and sometimes interesting although I do not miss the position.

I plan to continue sharing my enjoyment for the "craft" although sadly it seems many are not interested to become an umpire.

Sam
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
The only people who know there is a severe umpire shortage is the umpires. I have often wondered why there is little to no recruiting of umpires.

In the 19 years that I have been chest-high in youth softball, I have only seen one case of someone advertising for umpires (my ad on the GA fastpitch message board last month).

In fact, if anyone can show me another example of where there is a "Call for Umpire Recruits", I would be glad to buy you a cold one.

It is like the "silicon valley mentality of business" that the fish will just jump into the boat. Put a line in the water before you complain that they aren't biting today.

Let the flames begin.
Here in this part of Texas, we actively recruit officials via newspaper, public access programming, other sports officials' publications, going out to fields to watch "lower" level umpires in hopes they would move up, by talking to players and trying to encourage them to join the ranks of sports officials...etc. We are still showing negative growth year after year, and the primary reason given by those who quit are the way they are treated by fans, coaches, players....etc.

So...as someone who is a part of organizations who have put many a line in the water, and still come up empty handed, let me tell you, Mike has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Here in this part of Texas, we actively recruit officials via newspaper, public access programming, other sports officials' publications, going out to fields to watch "lower" level umpires in hopes they would move up, by talking to players and trying to encourage them to join the ranks of sports officials...etc. We are still showing negative growth year after year, and the primary reason given by those who quit are the way they are treated by fans, coaches, players....etc.

So...as someone who is a part of organizations who have put many a line in the water, and still come up empty handed, let me tell you, Mike has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
We actively recruit new officials via newspaper and other sources too. The mistake made around here (IMHO), due to the extreme shortage of officials, is that many new officials are 'rushed' through training and into games. Because of this the newbies are often in over their heads and have a bad experience. After a few bad experiences they quit.

We have tried to work our vets with the newbies but many of the vets won't work the lower level games, they say they've paid their dues. Some vets, like me, just tell our assingors to work us where we are needed the most but we are in the minority. So the bottom line is that many of the newbies never have a chance.....this is applicable for all sports, again IMHO.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Glad to buy a couple of cold ones for you guys. But we need to get more of this going nationally.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Glad to buy a couple of cold ones for you guys. But we need to get more of this going nationally.
Already in the works.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Already in the works.
...Via OKC?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
...Via OKC?
Yes, sirree!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Bravo!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Already in the works.
I hope they don't glamorize it beyond credibility.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can send that beer along my way...

Every year, at the same location as the softball sign-ups for the kids, I plant my butt at a table with a sign saying, "Umpires Needed", and each year I get at least 1 or 2 that sign up, take the classes/clinics, and work some. And about a third of those stay with it through the season and into the next seasons. In my current group, more than half of my people were recruited in exactly that way.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

The number of officials who are willing to do grade school level sports will continue to decline as long as
1. Parents are allowed to yell as officials.
2. Coaches are allowed to yell at officials.
3. Game fees remain at nominal levels.
4. Free time keeps declining.

1 & 2. It's our culture. We allow high profile, high $$ athletes to act like 2-year-olds on the playing field/court (pick your sport). Taunting, yelling, violence, etc. with little accountability. We allow high profile coaches to act like 2-year-olds yelling, stomping feet, throwing tantrums with little accountability.

3. More demand for officials. Soccer and softball are now well developed down to 5-year-olds. There's more demand for officials at these junior levels which takes away from the pool of officials at upper grade school and high school levels.

4. Gen X'ers and Y'ers are less tolerant of harrassment and abuse. They aren't willing to put up with all the hassles for a $10 game fee. They can get work elsewhere or don't need the money in the first place.

5. More demands on limited free time of officials. Most officials have children involved in soccer/football/BB/softball, add to that speech, band, etc. There just isn't the free time.

I don't do football anymore. Didn't have the free time and it wasn't worth the hassles.

We will need a cultural shift away from violence to mutual respect before this changes. I'm not really optimistic.

JMHO
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
They aren't willing to put up with all the hassles for a $10 game fee.
JMHO
Neither would I!!! Heck, rec leagues around here are paying $25-30 a game with strict time limits ranging between 1 hour to 75 minutes.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.