The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Possible ASA changes

These are some suggestions I offered to members of the Director's staff that could probably be handled as housekeeping instead of outright rule changes, especially since there really no change to the rule.

I shared these with a select few a little while ago, but thought you may want to discuss these along with the proposed rule changes since we are in that time of year.

Many of these came from discussions on this board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following eliminates umpires from ruling runners out during a live ball which eventually is declared a foul ball.

Runner is out

Insert 8.7.E EXCEPTION

EXCEPTION – Sections D and E: A runner passing or assisted shall not be out when on a batted ball which is declared foul.

Affects POE #39

Reason: This would eliminate the possibility of runners being called out for passing or being assisted on a ball which is eventually declared foul.

The present wording indicates a runner is allowed off the base if the pitcher makes a play on another runner. At no point in the rule or POE does it state that a runner is not declared out if a play is made on him/her.

Batter-Runner and Runner – Look-Back Rule

Change 8.7.T

EXCEPTION: The runner will not be declared out if:

1. A play is made on any runner. A fake throw is considered a play.

Change POE #34

EXCEPTION B-C: A runner will not be declared out if:

1. A play is made on any runner.

Reason: Present wording can be misconstrued as meaning that a play on THE runner, not ANOTHER runner, does not relieve that runner of the penalty for violating the LBR.

The POE does not allow for the Exception to 8.7.L

POE 33.A.1.d Add:

EXCEPTION: If the interference prevents a fielder from catching a routine fly ball (fair or foul) with ordinary effort, the batter will also be ruled out.

There seems to be a contradiction. Obviously, it is only a problem on a third strike, but a possible problem nonetheless.

7.4.NOTE E-F : If a pitched ball is swung at and missed, then hit on follow through, it is a strike and a dead ball.

7.6.K.EXCEPTION.3. If contact is made on the follow through, after missing the pitch on the initial swing, it is a foul ball.

Suggested mechanic change in the 3-umpire system.

With a runner on first base only, the "C" position may give the third-base umpire a better look at a play at second base on a steal. From this position the umpire steps up to get what should seem to be a clear view of the play and bring him/her inside should the ball go into the outfield. Such a change may also alleviate some of the traffic between first and second base as to not have to "dance" with the runner. This should give the umpire more time to get inside on a base hit, pick up the runner, release first base umpire, if necessary and find the ball.

As deep as the infielders play in the SP game, it may not be as advantageous in that game.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

I think the LBR clarification is fairly important and hopefully they put it in there.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I never did reply to Mike, but I like all of his proposals except the mechanics change. I don't feel that the traditional "in line with 3B" position is in the traffic area, and the C side takes away the most important angle, the front edge (1B side) of the bag on the steal.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I never did reply to Mike, but I like all of his proposals except the mechanics change. I don't feel that the traditional "in line with 3B" position is in the traffic area, and the C side takes away the most important angle, the front edge (1B side) of the bag on the steal.
Steve,

I think you are seeing this from the wrong angle.

I don't suggest the umpire stays behind the SS, but when the SS vacates the space, the umpire moves forward into the diamond which gives a great view of the front edge of the base.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Steve,

I think you are seeing this from the wrong angle.

I don't suggest the umpire stays behind the SS, but when the SS vacates the space, the umpire moves forward into the diamond which gives a great view of the front edge of the base.
My thoughts are that 1) we will have to wait on the SS to vacate, and that may get us there late, 2) if we react early, we may end up tangled with the SS, and 3) getting inside will require us to wait for the throw to pass, otherwise we are in the line of the throw; that leaves a very short time to take the last few steps to the necessary secondary angle if they do a hook slide to the outfield side, get set, see the play, make the call.

Sorry, I just see too many weaknesses.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
My thoughts are that 1) we will have to wait on the SS to vacate, and that may get us there late, 2) if we react early, we may end up tangled with the SS, and 3) getting inside will require us to wait for the throw to pass, otherwise we are in the line of the throw; that leaves a very short time to take the last few steps to the necessary secondary angle if they do a hook slide to the outfield side, get set, see the play, make the call.

Sorry, I just see too many weaknesses.
1) Why do you need to wait on the SS vacating? Move to the SS's right. Remember, this is with a runner on 1st only in a 3-umpire system.

2) See #1

3) You are not that fast and I'm not suggesting the umpire run to the middle of the field.

I think this would be much better with demonstation. Are you going to be in CO next week? If so, I'll go over it there.

Also, you are not addressing the plus side on a batted ball. You know, not everything is based on the steal in FP.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Trying to visualize this...wouldn't your proposed calling position (stepping forward from the C to gt a 90 at 2B) get you in the way if R1 rounded the bag, forcing you to move/rotate around the play more? With the B' position now, there's no risk of that happening...
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Mike,
Trying to visualize this...wouldn't your proposed calling position (stepping forward from the C to gt a 90 at 2B) get you in the way if R1 rounded the bag, forcing you to move/rotate around the play more? With the B' position now, there's no risk of that happening...
I don't believe so. How many runners do you know that make a ninety-degree turn on a base? It also brings you inside if the ball gets by a defender.

BTW, I wouldn't think about have the umpire stop in the base line. Nor would I ever suggest an umpire lock into a specific position to make a call. An umpire needs to move with a play. Mechanics only take an umpire to the general area. It's up to the umpire to adjust to the actions of the players and path of the throw.