The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

At an invitational tournament (ASA rules) this past summer, I was calling the plate in the championship in the consolation bracket. It was a full 7 inning game, no time limit. 2 man crew. 12U.

Normally, I am pretty easy-going with respect to rule 7-3C at this age level. I will hold up the pitcher if the batter is taking signals from the coach and most of the time, the batters are pretty good with the basic mechaincs -- keeping one foot in, etc.

However, in this game, the coach of one of the teams (a player for one of the local colleges) would coach the batters -- giving hitting mechanics instructions, etc., between every pitch. Most of the time, the batters would step completely out of the box without asking for TIME. The first inning took forever, the defense was losing concentration (not my problem, technically, but the kids were getting bored, not having fun, etc.). I was envisioning hours to reach 7 innings. So between innings, I told the coach she would have to speed things up -- only give signals, no coaching.

The coach did a little better in the second inning, but still took way too much time between pitches. Between innings, my partner asked me to speed things up. I told him I had already warned the coach. As the third inning got underway, I started verbalizing "batter up" if the batter stepped out between pitches, and signaling the pitcher to begin. The coach called time and approached me, complaining that I was not allowing her batters to take signals (and I wasn't - she was right - I was annoyed).

I told the coach that her batters needed to keep one foot in the box, that she needed to give signals only, no delays for coaching, and that unless there was a good reason, I was not going to grant TIME between pitches, and that I would start enforcing 7-3C to the letter - calling strikes, etc.

She was very displeased, but she did speed things up after that. After the game, she made some comment about hoping I made my date on time, or some such wisea$$ remark.

Ever since, I have though I could (should) have handled this situation better.

Comments?
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

You probably did better than I would have.........the rule (7-3-C) was specifically put in place to discourage the exact thing you encountered.

I think you handled things admirably given the circumstances..........the problem you most likely had was the coach was allowed this in all the games up to the one you were PU.

Joel
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

There's an additional way to address this. If the coach insists on intructing the batter, hit the coach with ther charged time. Then let the coach know that there will be no more time requests granted for the inning. Joel is right, preventing that stuff is the reason the rule was put into place. If there is no time limit to your game, make sure you enforce this. But, I have to admit, I seldom see this rule enforced. I also do not see the game delayed by a batter this way. A 12&U tournament with no time limit?!? That sounds like even less fun than a regular 12&U game.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

ASA 7-3C

Dakota,

Everyone seems in accord here that Rule 7-3C
is rarely enforced to it fullest or in the
manner that it was intended. I agree with GCB
that your handling of the situtation was in-line
and the reason she pushed you was in the fact
that other Blues realizing she was local player
probably let it slip a little.

Steves point is good. Inform coach that this
was a charged time out and that she has no more
for the inning. Then if is she insists you
could be nice and tell her of Rule 5.7.A and
also POE 11, or you could just enforce 5.7.A.
[grin] I realize that is harsh...might get her
attention.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the support and the suggestions.

BTW, Steve, I might me nuts, but I actually enjoy 12U games. The kids are just beginning to actually become athletes, and most of the time they really have fun. Sure, you need a generous strike zone, and all of your protective equipment, but I enjoy it.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Dakota,

Not allowing "time" for the batter doesn't mean you don't hold up the pitcher as you cannot have a pitch if the batter does not have both feet entirely with the batter's box. You just need to call a strike on the batter. If that doesn't get them in the box, wait 10 secs and do it again.

Harsh enforcement? Maybe, but that is why the rule is there.