Just hope that all of you will join
me in praying for all the people that
lost loved ones in the terrorist attacks
on New York and Washington DC. I hope
that none of you lost loved ones in this
malicious event.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes things happen that make each of us refocus on what exactly is really important. I join you in prayer, Glen, and in the hope you expressed.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Anti-Americanism??

All........

I know that this may not be appropriate........

BUT........

As I was bringing Katie home from fall softball practice tonight, (she got fully released yesterday after 2-1/2 months).....I was listening to a radio call-in-show regarding the tragedy of our country........two callers (both college students) in a row attempted to justify the attack on our country by saying it was NOT an attack on our people but on our financial and military system........

They justified this attack on the basis of our "alleged" atrocities in the rest of the world.......of course the bombing of Japan in WW-II and our presence in South America in the "War on Drugs" were brought up as primary reasons as to why we are "guilty" and should be brought to task........

All I could think of when I listened to this was (to steal a term from a predominent BB umpire)................Amazing.......

Glen (papasmurf/whiskersump) sent this to me earlier today. I think it is something we should take to heart and remind ourselves what we HAVE done........and what we are capable of.

From the news reports........many of our friends......are ready to give their full support to the U.S. .........

I am sorry to ramble.........but these two phone calls really upset me...................posted below is the editorial sent to me by Glen.

Joel

Below is an editorial printed in a Canadian Newspaper today.........

A TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES

This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing. Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator.

What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

America: The Good Neighbor..."This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped. The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars! into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles.

You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon -! not once, but several times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs might in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Glen,

I have been praying for them, and also for our leaders. President Bush and his advisors have some very serious decisions to make of the next few days and weeks. I pray that they will use wisdom and foresight in what they decide to do.

GCB, thanks for printing that article that Glen sent you.
Do either of you happen to know where that article appeared? Was it in a Canadian newspaper?

I heard on the news that the NATO common defense clause has been invoked for the first time. It is also heartening to know that our allies in Europe are willing to stand with us to confront this enemy.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota

GCB, thanks for printing that article that Glen sent you.
Do either of you happen to know where that article appeared? Was it in a Canadian newspaper?
Come on folks! You don't remember this from about 25 years ago. Gordon Sinclair wrote this as an editorial, it was recorded and the radio stations played the hell out of it.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I can't say that I remember it from 25 years ago, but then again, I ws not really what anyone in their right mind would call "responsible" while in my early 20's. Regardless, this is one of those editorials that is worth repeating.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

The original...

OK, just give this internet geek an excuse for a good search...

Anyway, this is a link to the original broadcast editorial. They even have an audio of it.

Canadian Communications Foundation
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

RE: Repeating

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I can't say that I remember it from 25 years ago, but then again, I ws not really what anyone in their right mind would call "responsible" while in my early 20's. Regardless, this is one of those editorials that is worth repeating.
I am 64 and I honestly cannot remember it.
{they do accuse me of having Alzheimer's,
however, I do prefer to refer to it is old-timers
that does not mean that this is not
a reprint. My niece sent it to me, so I have
inquired of her to find out if possible if it
is reprint, or recent. Mike, I am not even
hinting that you are incorrect, just got me
curious

Joel, I do want to thank you for putting it forth.
I probably should have, but just was not thinking.
As Steve stated, "Regardless of when and where it
is one editorial that is worth repeating."

Dakota,
My niece did say that it came from Canadian paper
and as stated above checking with her to see if it
was a reprint or recent. Whatever, it was a good
editorial.

glen

--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: The original...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
[B]OK, just give this internet geek an excuse for a good search...

Anyway, this is a link to the original broadcast editorial. They even have an audio of it.

Dakota,

we crossed again, but thanks for researching...

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I believe it was written in 1973.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I did hear earlier today that it was dated '73. That was during the time I was living on a commune - no wonder I don't recall it.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it was a radio broadcast in 1973. Check out the link I posted above.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up RE: G. Sinclair Editorial

I noticed today that the editorial

A TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES
was being read on a couple of the networks.

The original Script was "Lets Be Personal" - -
Topic: "The Americans" by Gordon Sinclair.

That is great. Thanks for your efforts Dakota
in finding out its source and orgin and you Mike
for remembering it earlier.

It does not in anyway tranish the fact that it is
a great editorial worth sharing again.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Glen,

Like I said, a lot of what is written still rings true. However, (bet you knew this was coming) I think it is somewhat sad when people feel the need to hang their hats on an editorial, song, etc. Being a citizen of the United States and loving one's country should be more than words on paper. It should be something from the heart and demonstrated daily.

Another sad part of this past week was the many stores "selling out" of US flags. Everybody just had to get a flag to fly. My question is, as proud patriots, why didn't they already have a flag to fly? Being a citizen and a patriot should not be event-driven.

Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Glen,

Like I said, a lot of what is written still rings true. However, (bet you knew this was coming) I think it is somewhat sad when people feel the need to hang their hats on an editorial, song, etc. Being a citizen of the United States and loving one's country should be more than words on paper. It should be something from the heart and demonstrated daily.

Another sad part of this past week was the many stores "selling out" of US flags. Everybody just had to get a flag to fly. My question is, as proud patriots, why didn't they already have a flag to fly? Being a citizen and a patriot should not be event-driven.

Mike,

I totally agree with you everything that you
said. I saw, at least here in this part of East
Texas, gas prices soar. A lot of *proud patriots*
saw a way to make a $$$$$$. Most unfortunate.
I do have a flag and have had. I retired after
22 years service in the Air Force.

glen
--Mark Twain.