The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Running to 1B on a Dropped third strike

I was umpiring a Fast Pitch game a few weeks ago and encountered a 16U team whose players always ran to 1B on a 3rd strike, regardless of whether or not the ball was dropped, and regardless of the situation (i.e. even when 1B was occupied)? Obviously this is done to confuse the defense into throwing the ball around, but at some point does this amount to interference? For example, there is a runner and 1B and less than two outs, the batter strikes out then runs all the way to the bag. At this point there are now two offensive players at the bag along with the first baseman who may be in the process of trying to make a play on the runner who was lawfully at 1B. Go one step further. What if the batter above ran to 1B and then rounded the bag. Is this a form of interference? The batter is out and is not supposed to be in fair territory, let alone become involved in an on-field play. ANY THOUGHTS?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

see rule 9.01c
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, if you make the call "Batter is out" in a forceful manner, whenever the batter is not entitled to run on a dropped third strike, the defense will never be confused, and the offense will never be in a position to gain an unfair advantage. That is the approved and recommended mechanic.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMPIRELARRY
I was umpiring a Fast Pitch game a few weeks ago and encountered a 16U team whose players always ran to 1B on a 3rd strike, regardless of whether or not the ball was dropped, and regardless of the situation (i.e. even when 1B was occupied)?
I agree with the above, preventable a lot of times by telling them they are out.

Quote:
Obviously this is done to confuse the defense into throwing the ball around, but at some point does this amount to interference?
DOH! There they go again, they fooled us with that for the 14th time this game.

Quote:
For example, there is a runner and 1B and less than two outs, the batter strikes out then runs all the way to the bag. At this point there are now two offensive players at the bag along with the first baseman who may be in the process of trying to make a play on the runner who was lawfully at 1B.
What is she doing to the runner? Tickling her to get her to step off the bag?

Quote:
Go one step further. What if the batter above ran to 1B and then rounded the bag. Is this a form of interference? The batter is out and is not supposed to be in fair territory, let alone become involved in an on-field play. ANY THOUGHTS?
I can see as you keep expanding the hypothetical until we reach a point where INT has occured, that at some point there may be some INT.. but first there would have to be INT.

Simply running to 1B is not in and of itself INT as the defense is responsible to know its situation and react appropriately.

Now if the Retired Batter runs to the pitching circle, does a happy dance, then starts doing cartwheels while the defense is trying to make a playing on stealing 1R.. then you could have some interference if there was INT.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I'll add this..

Typically, this scenario, which has been talked about a zillion times, is discussed as a means of confusing the defense for some advantage for the offense.

But you have both your runner and retired batter at 1B.. thats fairly strange.

THere is definately no INT here, and you couldnt find a rule to justify whatever punishment you would like to consider for this play...

But yours isnt even worthy of a USC discussion because it seems the offense just stood around.

This sounds more like 16U church league low level play and even worse coaching - than anything regarding rules.

Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMPIRELARRY
I was umpiring a Fast Pitch game a few weeks ago and encountered a 16U team whose players always ran to 1B on a 3rd strike, regardless of whether or not the ball was dropped, and regardless of the situation (i.e. even when 1B was occupied)? Obviously this is done to confuse the defense into throwing the ball around,
Or the coach just doesn't want the batter to have to THINK about when they can run, so it's easier for him/her to just tell them to run on every event.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Or the coach just doesn't want the batter to have to THINK about when they can run, so it's easier for him/her to just tell them to run on every event.
Exactly. Especially with players just making the transition from REC (even in 14U, not so much in 16U), it's hard to keep them from starting back to the dugout even on the dropped third strike, so to start getting them into the mindset, we tell them to run on all third strikes. The first base coach can wave them off if the strike is caught. We do the same on foul balls.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
There are several JUCOs in Florida who have their players run to 1B after striking out. I'm not sure if it's to make sure they run on D3K, or if it's to punish them for striking out.