The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Just wondering what happen to GCB hadnt seen him on in a while hope everything is alright and maybe just a computer glitch or something dont think he has been too busy with daughters soccer with all the rain they been getting down there unless they change the game to water polo.....

Ok, here is a new question picked off a baseball umpire site.

B1 hits homer over fence as rounding the bases he misses touching home. The plate umpire hands the next game ball to the catcher who steps on home and states the runner missed the plate

Proper appeal????

Thanks

Don
Old Sun Sep 09, 2001, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I will take a stab at that one.I would say that would be an improper appeal.My reasoning is that the ball is dead once it clears the fence,so the catcher would be unable to make a live ball appeal by stepping on home after umpire hands him the ball.The ball would have to become "live" again by the pitcher stepping onto the rubber.Then,he/she could properly step off the rubber and initiate the appeal.

Jeff
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
I will take a stab at that one.I would say that would be an improper appeal.My reasoning is that the ball is dead once it clears the fence,so the catcher would be unable to make a live ball appeal by stepping on home after umpire hands him the ball.The ball would have to become "live" again by the pitcher stepping onto the rubber.Then,he/she could properly step off the rubber and initiate the appeal.

Jeff
That would be fine for baseball, but in softball, you cannot have a live ball appeal once the ball has gone dead on a particular play.

Once the runner enters dead ball territory, the catcher or any other infielder simply needs to present the appeal to the PU. The ball is not a necessary prop.

Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Dead ball appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Once the runner enters dead ball territory, the catcher or any other infielder simply needs to present the appeal to the PU. The ball is not a necessary prop.
Agreed. With or without the ball, all the catcher (or any other infielder for that matter) needs to do during the dead ball is verbalize the appeal.

However, does taking the new game ball from the PU and stepping on the plate constitute a valid appeal?

Verbalizing along with taking the ball & stepping on the plate -- yes, since the ball & stepping on the plate is superfluous, but does not invalidate the verbal appeal.

How about just taking the ball, standing on the plate, and looking expectantly at the umpire? It's obvious she is appealing. POE #1 (ASA) says "verbal."
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
POE#1 says that a dead ball appeal must be verbal, so an expectant look from the catcher is going to result in a pregnant pause from me until she verbalizes the appeal As Steve M said in one of his prior posts on appeals, F2 at least has to come up with something like "Una, una, grunt grunt" before I'll recognize a dead ball appeal.

--Sam
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
an expectant look from the catcher is going to result in a pregnant pause from me
--Sam

Marvelous!
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Dead ball appeal

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dakota

Agreed. With or without the ball, all the catcher (or any other infielder for that matter) needs to do during the dead ball is verbalize the appeal.

However, does taking the new game ball from the PU and stepping on the plate constitute a valid appeal?

Verbalizing along with taking the ball & stepping on the plate -- yes, since the ball & stepping on the plate is superfluous, but does not invalidate the verbal appeal.

How about just taking the ball, standing on the plate, and looking expectantly at the umpire? It's obvious she is appealing. POE #1 (ASA) says "verbal." [/B]
Like I said before, the ball is an unnecessary prop. I don't care if the catcher swallows the damn thing then steps on the plate, it has nothing to do with any appeal in ASA softball. It MUST be a dead-ball appeal and if I read minds, I would not be doing this. I do not care in what manner the player looks at me, I'm not guessing what they want. For that matter, at this point, if they look at me the wrong way, they may not be around for the appeal d:-)

I worked a couple of games in the Eastern Regional IRS tournament yesterday. On a fly ball to right, 1st & 2nd occupied, less then 2 outs, both runners tag and advance. The 1st basemen from this team from Manhattan, NY goes, "Hey, blue, how are things?" I respond, "Things are just fine with me, how about yourself?" "No, no" he says, "how about those guys?" I ask him if he is attempting to appeal the runners leaving early and he says, "of course!"

Well, I'm sorry I can't help these guys out, but I have gotten to the point where I will assume nothing from a player or coach.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up thanks for the replies

As for Joel I recently have heard from him and he is alive and well said he has been real busy working.

Boy, the things we let get in our way of playing on the internet. HUH

Have a good one guys

Don
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Darn

Working 10 hour shifts made me be late on
this.
Seems most of the bases covered. .
At least after s/he missed home.
NFHS in Appeal Procedures and Guidelines
states 2} If the ball has gone out of play,
runners must be given the opportunity to
complete their base running responsibilities,
before dead ball appeal can be made.
However, runner may not return to touch a
missed base if she has left the field of play.
Also states w/wo ball make a verbal appeal.
(see NFHS Rule book 2001 pg 72)Guess what I
am saying is I agree with Mike.

As for Joel, last I heard from him week and 1/2
ago he doing fine, but busy, not with softball.
Katie was doing lots better.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Talking The Bear........

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.........

I have been making the bear fat lately.............

Looks like I missed some lively discussions..........oh well.........there will be many more.......I am sure!

I am looking forward to chomping on the bear soon.........(I hope).

Joel

BTW.......thanks Don for being concerned......It's nice to know there are others out there that care about what's going on in our lives...

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Sep 10th, 2001 at 06:59 PM]