The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Allowing batters to change bats

This season I noticed quite a few batters, after being up for a pitch or two, deciding they want to switch bats.

When I played in the 1970s, it was standard protocol for the batters to tell the plate umpire, "I want to switch bats, okay?" I don't ever recall an umpire refusing this request.

Nowadays the players seem to simply walk back to the bench whenever they feel like it to switch bats without informing the umpire what is happening. I tend to quietly tell the player that, as a matter of courtesy, he/she should let me know what is happening before heading to the bench area to get a different bat.

I do recall from my playing days one or two umpires saying that they would allow only one bat change per at-bat--unless a bat broke, of course. (We used wooden bats in those days.)

I'd like to hear how other umpires deal with players who want to change bats during an at-bat. Do you let them change as often as they like and anytime they like?
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I don't see this happen too often, but what I do see is many girls fastpitch teams ignore the batter's proper between pitch behavior in general.

A lot of wandering up the 3rd base line and the like. I remind the batters, sometimes this has the effect of the batters correcting their behavior, sometimes I have to repeat myself to nearly every batter or have a discussion with the coach.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson
This season I noticed quite a few batters, after being up for a pitch or two, deciding they want to switch bats.

When I played in the 1970s, it was standard protocol for the batters to tell the plate umpire, "I want to switch bats, okay?" I don't ever recall an umpire refusing this request.

Nowadays the players seem to simply walk back to the bench whenever they feel like it to switch bats without informing the umpire what is happening. I tend to quietly tell the player that, as a matter of courtesy, he/she should let me know what is happening before heading to the bench area to get a different bat.

I do recall from my playing days one or two umpires saying that they would allow only one bat change per at-bat--unless a bat broke, of course. (We used wooden bats in those days.)

I'd like to hear how other umpires deal with players who want to change bats during an at-bat. Do you let them change as often as they like and anytime they like?
I have rarely seen this at any level, but there is nothing to deal with. Any umpire telling a batter they will restrict such a move is out of line.

My concern would only be a request for time to make the change. Other than that, the 10-second clock will make that new bat unnecessary if she wanted to switch after two strikes.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Any batter who simply walks away will get a stern statement from me. In ASA, she will get a warning for leaving the batters box without warning.

And, if she continues in her direction (as some will simply "blow you off") without requesting "time", then I am confident the 10 second clock WILL come into play.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

could be that these batters were looking to bunt early in the count. the high-tech bats are not good for bunting, so they will have a dead bat for bunting. when the situation changes from bunt to swing, there is a need to change bats.

player still needs to request - and be granted - time for this.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
... so they will have a dead bat for bunting. ...
Is a dead bat like a dead ball?
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

In my experience, most of the batters who want to change bats in "midstream" seem to be doing it for reasons of comfort. They don't like the grip; they want a heavier bat or a lighter bat, etc. Must be a quirky Canadian thing.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Canadians quirky? Nah, no one would think that!

Just kidding!
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Canadians quirky? Nah, no one would think that!

Just kidding!
What part were you kidding about? That they are quirky or that no one would think they are quirky?